Naturals: How long do you keep in your extension braids/twists?

Is 9/10 Weeks Too Long?

• Yep, you'll be loced like Marley.

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Nope, you'll be fine.

Votes: 39 68.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

davisbr88

Hi, ladies.
I just recently installed some really small braid extensions and was wondering how long everyone kept their braids in. I got Senegalese twists while I was transitioning and kept them in for 3 months without dreading or matting badly, but was wondering if now that I'm fully natural and these braids are much smaller that I shouldn't leave them in that long. I was thinking of taking them down after finals, which would be 9 weeks from when I finished (technically 10 weeks for some of the braids, since it took me a week to put them in).
Is that too long? I'd be devastated if my hair ended up dreading or something and I'd have to start all over. What do you ladies think of 9/10 weeks?
TIA!

faithVA

9 to 10 weeks should be fine as long as you are keeping it moisturized and sealed like you usually do. If your hair doesn't usually dread you shouldn't have a problem. I noticed that dreading only happens on the back sections of my hair where I have more than an inch of my hair above the beginning of the extension hair. Since you did them yourself you can redo very loose braids as you find them.

I think you will be fine for that time period.

Nonie

Your best bet is to read the braid regimen on Grow Afro Hair Long--Official Site and follow that. I say that because that regimen has helped many new-to-braids folks and it will help you avoid the problems you dread. If I told you I keep braids in for at least a year, it would be unfair because I can't show you exactly how I manage that and I would hate it if you tried it and had matted hair.

So use that site as your guide and then once you get the hang of dealing with braids you can tweak the regimen as you feel comfortable.

Creatividual

This is a very individual question but I think if your hair isn't prone to matting/loc'ing easily, I don't see why you couldn't keep them for 3 months. You just may have to refresh various parts like the front every few weeks though. Without refreshing any sections I was easily able to keep individual braids in for 2 months without matting. I think Grow Afro Hair Long--Official Site recommends you only leave them in for a month at a time though.

FRESHstart101

whats wrong with keeping them in for as long as you want but just re-doing and of course moisturizing and sealing the hair ? i mean ... my hairs like baby short right now plus the winters coming in. i got my braid done in the beginning September and i don't think ill take them out until December/ January. is that bad ? please someone answer me.

iri9109

whats wrong with keeping them in for as long as you want but just re-doing and of course moisturizing and sealing the hair ? i mean ... my hairs like baby short right now plus the winters coming in. i got my braid done in the beginning September and i don't think ill take them out until December/ January. is that bad ? please someone answer me.

i think 2 months + or - a couple of weeks is a good rule to follow...keeping your extensions till january might be pushing it, even if you re-do around the edges/front b4 then...also it depends on your regimen...if your washing your hair atleast once a week, or every couple of weeks, then you should probably take it down sooner than someone who only washes once a month...but its important to keep your scalp clean and hair moisturized...just because your hair isnt visible, its not a free pass to just neglect your hair underneath the extensions

purplepeace79

I rarely keep extensions in for more than 6 weeks and thats pushing it for me. It is mainly due to boredom with the style.

I try to give myself 2-3 weeks break before putting in new ones. Again, I'm usually prompted by boredom and laziness so I wear extensions a lot.

islanchile

The length of time to keep in your braids is influenced by the nature of your hair, but I agree with iri9109, two months (plus or minus a couple of weeks) is a good standard rule of thumb. I had my hair in braids for years. My hair was fine if I took them out in two months; matted with a lot of breakage if I took them out after three months.

davisbr88

I think I am just going to take them out over Thanksgiving break because since I did them myself, they aren't super-tight, I wash them every week, and I really don't feel like redoing them, so I'll probably just get them out a couple weeks early. So it'll be like 7/8 weeks instead.

Nubenap22

I usually keep them in for 6 but since im in school and 3 more weeks till im done....i got my edges redone and it will total 8 weeks for me.....

LoveisYou

I usually keep them in for 4 weeks because I tend to get bored with them, but I think 8-10 weeks should be fine. However, I would redo my hairline every 4 weeks.

BronzyBella

I usually end up keeping my braided extensions in for about 6 weeks. I do them myself and if I had them professionally done, I'd probably keep them in for at least 2 months.

I find that after 4 or so weeks, my roots start to puff up and re-doing the front braids and hairline will only "tide me over" for a week or two.

danniegirl

well i will keep my braids in until im just tired of the look in the past i have went 12+ weeks. However i re-braid my hair all the time almost every day i can find a braid to re-do and i do weekly washes and dc's . i also pay very close attention to my trouble spots and for me thats the hair around my ears and the hair at the nape in those areas i can braid my hair and take down a braid a week later and will already have a spec of lint or some noticeable dirt at the root of the braid so i will re-braid those spots almost every week.

Nonie

I usually end up keeping my braided extensions in for about 6 weeks. I do them myself and if I had them professionally done, I'd probably keep them in for at least 2 months.

I find that after 4 or so weeks, my roots start to puff up and re-doing the front braids and hairline will only "tide me over" for a week or two.

BronzyBella, ever tried to keep them in longer by redoing one braid at a time to refresh them? I did that and kept mine in for over a year. This was when I put them in:

And this was ten months later:

And I could give them some oomph by using Curlformers:

BronzyBella

@BronzyBella, ever tried to keep them in longer by redoing one braid at a time to refresh them? I did that and kept mine in for over a year.

Your hair looks great (especially curled) but I also get bored of the braids by that time (6 weeks or so). When it's professionally done, I usually leave them in longer to get my money's worth and because they're usually fuller and more uniform than I can do them on my own.

Nonie

Your hair looks great (especially curled) but I also get bored of the braids by that time (6 weeks or so). When it's professionally done, I usually leave them in longer to get my money's worth and because they're usually fuller and more uniform than I can do them on my own.

Girrrrrrrrrrl BronzyBella, I dunno how you can get bored of braids. I use human hair so as far as I'm concerned it's like having a weave or long relaxed hair. So I treat them like hair.

I can put them up in braids:

...wear a braid-out:

...curl them:

...be lazy and do a WNG:

...put them up in a clumsy French-roll:

...wrap to get them straight and just leave 'em down:

...curl the ends and wear them down:

Never a dull moment. Best part of this, hardly takes any time to style, no detangling, no combing, no necessary bed time prep. Just put on a baggy and go to bed. Did I mention I don't even moisturize?

Chameleonchick

Same here. It just isn't worth it for me to redo them. So I will just take them out.

BrandNew

Loc'd up and loving it!
I have kinky twists extensions in my hair now going on 8 weeks. I would keep them in longer if I wasn't for the holidays (want a fresh look).

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Friday makes 8 weeks in my senegalese twists.

My plan is to make 12 weeks.

I am bored with them, but I want to follow through with the 12 wk game plan.

lilyofthenile

Eight weeks tops and I redo the edges at the front, on the sides and around the back.

I also make sure I cleanse my hair, moisturise, baggy and protein DC it. My hair does a lot better in braids b/c I don't touch my actual hair.

Nubenap22

I just took mine out after 7 weeks ( I was bored ) and I only washed and conditioned once. (its too cold to do it more than that bc I will get a cold) But I could have washed more often when transitioning. Detangling was a breeze this time!

HoneyLove

I have kinky twists extensions in my hair now going on 8 weeks. I would keep them in longer if I wasn't for the holidays (want a fresh look).

I want to get kinky twists, but really have no idea how to take care of my hair properly underneath. How often did you wash them or what'd you do to help them last that long?

Friday makes 8 weeks in my senegalese twists.

My plan is to make 12 weeks.

I am bored with them, but I want to follow through with the 12 wk game plan.

That's how long I want to go... do you think senegalese hold longer than kinky twists? How'd you take care of your hair underneath the twists?

Eight weeks tops and I redo the edges at the front, on the sides and around the back.

I also make sure I cleanse my hair, moisturise, baggy and protein DC it. My hair does a lot better in braids b/c I don't touch my actual hair.

Did you do that weekly?

aicramphoto

Does your hair texture matter for keeping braids in long? Whether I do them or have them professionally done, real hair or fake, box braids or cornrows, I look fuzzy after two weeks and they have to come out after 4. I tie my hair up, use a satin pillow case and have tried many products (not at once, lol) and even no product, same results. I envy you ladies.

yorkpatties

Does your hair texture matter for keeping braids in long? Whether I do them or have them professionally done, real hair or fake, box braids or cornrows, I look fuzzy after two weeks and they have to come out after 4. I tie my hair up, use a satin pillow case and have tried many products (not at once, lol) and even no product, same results. I envy you ladies.

Same here. I tie them down and typically use jane carter solution scalp serum, but my hair will frizz after a short time. For my scalp, I wouldn't wear them longer than 8 weeks but I am miserable after 6 weeks in them and that's usually when they come out.

When I was a young girl I feel like I could have gone 3 months in box braids, but now after 4 weeks I am making plans for when I am taking them down.