7 months stretching and counting!!!

chartys08

I have been wearing braids for the past 7 months, 6-8 weeks interval, and I am so ready for a relaxer. I have been taking down my braids since Wednesday (bit by bit in the middle due to work) and wants to relax this weekend. I have very sensitive scalp and have been using Parneveau (sp) for the past 2 years, which seems to work but leave my hair dry. I swear my hair starts burning from the time the bottle is open.

Is it too soon to relax after taking out braids?

I need a recommendation on a good relaxer. I usually self relaxer but will be going to my sister who is a stylist.

PureSilver

Congrats on your long stretch, Firstly you've made a good choice in allowing a professional to handle your hair. I've used a few relaxers and the best i've had so far is ORS olive oil. I cannot make recommedndations about that which i've no experience about so i hope the other ladies will chime in. You asked if it's wise to do a relaxer now i would say flat out no. You scalp needs a rest from all the manipulation of taking down the braids to detangling shedded hair and all that stuff, Since you have a very sensitive scalp.
I will try to find a link on the things you would normally do before getting a relaxer after a long stretch, just precautionary measures so your hair comes out looking great. Just my 2cents worth.

Last edited:

Tamrin

unapologetic
I have been wearing braids for the past 7 months, 6-8 weeks interval, and I am so ready for a relaxer. I have been taking down my braids since Wednesday (bit by bit in the middle due to work) and wants to relax this weekend. I have very sensitive scalp and have been using Parneveau (sp) for the past 2 years, which seems to work but leave my hair dry. I swear my hair starts burning from the time the bottle is open.

Is it too soon to relax after taking out braids?

I need a recommendation on a good relaxer. I usually self relaxer but will be going to my sister who is a stylist.

Wait to to three week. During that time treat your hair. Do a protein treatment and DC once to 2 times a week with a moisturizing conditioner and protective style (BUN). Then you can relax. I have been there done that. Im a 6 month + stretcher. Im now 23 weeks post.

Last edited:

chartys08

Thanks ladies, This long and healthy hair is all new to me so I appreciate your feedback.

3 weeks!!! oh boy, me and my nappy hair for Christmas.

PureSilver

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=157899&highlight=ladyesquire.
Ok so i found the link i hope this helps. You could also try the search engine it has many threads on stretches, relaxeing after stretching and many more things you'll definately find useful. I started searching for you but this darn headache is drying me up the wall, i wish i continue because as i read to help you i'm learning new things too.

All the best darling and i hope your hair turns out beautiful with great progress.