Relaxer Stretching- Are u COUNTING the days

kizzylonghair

Ladies,

This is the first time that I am stretching out my relaxer, To be honest I think that I am GOING MAD!!
I am currently at week 8 the longest time that I have ever gone. I am trying to stretch to week 12. I even have my appointment booked at the salon for my March relaxer.
But damn I cant keep looking at my calendar, counting the days the hours, Hell I may even start counting my toes!!.
I am really enjoying this new hair journey, I have noticed lots of re-growth.
But, I just cant wait to see the real length of my hair after my relaxer. The suspense is killing.
What if after all the hard work and waiting I don’t see any difference.
I have attended a lot of functions for family and friends with my hair not looking its best. I had to take action so currently I have been wearing cornrows and lovin them as I cant get to my hair giving it a break. Plus been receiving lots of compliments
Should I just go ahead and relaxer now. Its not breaking and I have just over 1 inch of re-growth. I have a question if you have 1 inch of re-growth does that equal 1 inch of relaxer hair???

Am I being obsessive ???
Does anyone feel the same I need to know that I am not going mad!!!

Kizzy

HairQueen

Girl I feel ya, I feel the same as you!! :wallbash: When I read what u wrote I couldn't stop laughing because I feel EXACTLY the same as you do and was just counting the days on my calendar yesterday! I am also trying to stretch for first time ever, I am planning to go to 10 weeks and so far am at 7. The way I see it if you managed to stretch this far you may as well keep going.

I also feel your pain about when you go out to functions as well, when u go out not looking your best it is horrible! But just keep in mind why you are doing this and remember in the long run willl be worth it.

Last edited:

kizzylonghair

Thanks Hairqueen,

So I dont need to book that appointment with a shrink. Its so good to know that I am not alone. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.
But is this what we have to look forward to for the rest of the time we care for our hair!!

Good luck to you, an if anytime you need some support to get u through the rough days just HOLLA

Kizzy

UmSumayyah

I'm counting the days and weeks as well. The time was going fast but now I have alot of newgrowth and am seeing a little demarcation breakage--very little. I am waiting until march, 17 weeks total for me. I am tempted because I have done 12 weeks on the regular in the past, but I am thinking to stick with 17 because it will be cheaper this way. (Phyto is expensive!, but if it is as fab as they say i plan to stick with it)

kizzylonghair

HairQueen said:
Ok I will!! Same here if you need support from me.

p.s. I noticed your a UK member like me! :clapping:

Hey Girl,

I see your from London, I am from Birmingham. Its good to finally meet someone from the England.
How are getting on with all the new hair care. These kind of methods are unheard of in England. My friends think that I mad at the moment but I am hoping that i can prove them wrong.
I know hair is hair but it would be nice to see a person from England do well with these methods.

How do you think its going

What your regime/vitamins

Maybe we could be hair buddies

Kizzy

kizzylonghair

UmSumayyah said:
I'm counting the days and weeks as well. The time was going fast but now I have alot of newgrowth and am seeing a little demarcation breakage--very little. I am waiting until march, 17 weeks total for me. I am tempted because I have done 12 weeks on the regular in the past, but I am thinking to stick with 17 because it will be cheaper this way. (Phyto is expensive!, but if it is as fab as they say i plan to stick with it)[/QUOTE

Hey Girl

May I take my hat off to you for aiming for 17 weeks. WELL DONE!!!
And you only have a few broken hairs !!!!
Once I get a good length I will also try and stretch further, but when is not long enough to hide in pony tail is kinda hard to do without looking a mess!!
Your right relaxing is expensive I am currently using Affirm fibreguard, I know it’s a great product but damn!!.

HairQueen

kizzylonghair said:
Hey Girl,

I see your from London, I am from Birmingham. Its good to finally meet someone from the England.
How are getting on with all the new hair care. These kind of methods are unheard of in England. My friends think that I mad at the moment but I am hoping that i can prove them wrong.
I know hair is hair but it would be nice to see a person from England do well with these methods.

How do you think its going

What your regime/vitamins

Maybe we could be hair buddies

Kizzy

Hey girl no prob - would love to be your hair buddy. I will PM you later as am work at the moment so have gotta now, but don't worry we will talk some more later!

pink_flower

I'm with you kizzy. I'm entering my 8th week and trying to make it to 12. Last week I felt so good about stretching but this weekend my hair started to get all tangled and matted..this happens everytime when I try to stretch, its something about entering that 8th week that my hair just turns on me. Boggles my mind, but I dont plan to cave just yet. So far whats helping me is flat ironing my roots only once a week.

Last edited:

kizzylonghair

Pinkflower,

I know how tough it is, I am the same sometimes I am ok. And other times I feel so bad. Like today hence the post. I have braids to take out tomorrow god help me. Can you imagine the tangled mess I will have to deal with.
Good luck girl.
Post to this thread if you need some support, just posting today has made me feel a lot better.

We can do together

Kizzy

Honi

There is no board.
I'm marching towards week 20. Just a few more weeks to go but I'm having major tangling issues. It think the shed hair when making it's way down just gets caught. Instead of CO washing in between my washes I'm finding that I have to do it every other day now just to keep it somewhat detangled. Side note – DDTA is da bomb but once you rinse it out that's it. I find it to be better as a leave in.

PaperDoll

~the original~
Counting the days ...girl I'm counting the hours!

101 hours and 7 minutes (read: Friday, 5:30 pm) til I get that good creamy crack!

It will be 12 weeks and 1 day exactly. I can't wait LOL

Cincysweetie

PaperDoll said:
101 hours and 7 minutes (read: Friday, 5:30 pm) til I get that good creamy crack!
LOL @ creamy crack! I hit my brick wall last week at 7 weeks, which is UNHEARD of for me. I don't know what is going on. I was actually trying to make it to 16 weeks, but I'll be lucky to pull out 10-12. Oh, well!

sylver2

I am definately counting. 15 Weeks and 1 day. I've been marking it in my Fokti.
Its actually not as bad as I thought. I only comb it once a week. It is growing like weed. I am waiting till April. I can't wait to see how long it is then.

WhipEffectz1

Well, I am 16 weeks post relaxer and I think that I am gonna touchup in April as well. So that will make me about 24-26 weeks post relaxer. Inre agrds ot the post where someone said that they will stretch longer when their hair has more length, I personally have neck length hair and I have no problem with stretchign it. I think its how you take care of it and not how much length you have.

kizzylonghair

Honi, Paperdoll, Cincysweetie, Sylver2, Whipeffectz

So good to know that I am not the only one counting, Yeah!!! I AM NOT INSANE. I know that in a few months when its longer I wont have to fuss about it so much.
Can someone please tell me when you have 1 inch of regrowth, when relaxed does it stretch longer than that or does it become 1 inch of relaxer hair.
As I have never had (Left it so long to see) well over an inch in re-growth.
Maybe this will motivate me to hang in there?

Thanks Ladies

Isis

kizzylonghair said:
Can someone please tell me when you have 1 inch of regrowth, when relaxed does it stretch longer than that or does it become 1 inch of relaxer hair.
As I have never had (Left it so long to see) well over an inch in re-growth.
Maybe this will motivate me to hang in there?

Thanks Ladies
If you stretch out the curls of your new growth and it's 1", it is equal to relaxed hair that is 1" longer, if you don't trim it off. If you continue stretching your relaxer, soon you'll have 2", and so on.

Girl, enjoy the compliments you are getting on your cornrows and focus on other things. The remaining weeks will fly by so fast, you just might forget and end up relaxing 14 or 15 weeks later! It can happen!

Last edited:

kizzylonghair

Isis said:
If you stretch out the curls of your new growth and it's 1", it is equal to relaxed hair that is 1" longer, if you don't trim it off. If you continue stretching your relaxer, soon you'll have 2", and so on.

Girl, enjoy the compliments you are getting on your cornrows and focus on other things. The remaining weeks will fly by so fast, you just might forget and end up relaxing 14 or 15 weeks later! It can happen!

Thanks Isis,

I have 1 inch of re-growth un-stretched so that is great news. About the braids I will keep them in. But I am just a little scared that my hair is not getting the proper care while being tucked away under them. I do use a spray moisturizer everyday.
I have had them in for a week and they still look neat, but I know I need to wash my hair and deep condition, so it’s a bit of a pain. Plus I have to pay for the cornrows not much but once a week adds up.
They have taken my mind off playing with my new-growth so they are a keeper towards touch up.
I may be able to stretch beyond 12 weeks, only with cornrows in though. Will see the condition of my hair when I take the braids out and decide.

Kizzy

sweetcakes14

I am now 8 weeks post relaxer and I can't believe that my hair is doing just fine! I normally can't even get a comb through my hair and it's usually hard and just plain unmanageable at this point. But now I've been spraying my new growth with Sta-Sof Fro and for the 1st time I am in no rush to get my perm. I am trying to stretch it out to 10 weeks (the first time ever since I've been relaxing my hair that I'm going this long) - so I've got two more weeks. I can't wait!

Britt

I count the weeks all the time, always have :lol:. See the siggy below :D. I count especially b/c I like to go atleast 12 wks. b4 relaxing, I usually go 14-16 wks. I also get super excited the day of touch-up b/c I like to see how much my hair has grown.

kizzylonghair

Britt said:
I count the weeks all the time, always have :lol:. See the siggy below :D. I count especially b/c I like to go atleast 12 wks. b4 relaxing, I usually go 14-16 wks. I also get super excited the day of touch-up b/c I like to see how much my hair has grown.

Britt,

I am only at 8 weeks I am so excited. My touch-up feels like I am due to get married or someone ( I know I am CRAZY) You siggy is so cute but I really dont need anymore reminding about that day.

Is there a big shock at the length you get after relaxing!!!

Britt

kizzylonghair said:
Britt,

I am only at 8 weeks I am so excited. My touch-up feels like I am due to get married or someone ( I know I am CRAZY) You siggy is so cute but I really dont need anymore reminding about that day.

Is there a big shock at the length you get after relaxing!!!

Hey!
Oh its a shock... good or bad shock :lol:. Sometimes I touch-up at 16 wks. and think my growth is minimal other times I touch-up and smile at my progress
:trampolin:woot:

J

JenniferMD

I use to count the days but now it’s a piece of cake. I’m at 24 weeks and I have no idea when I’m going to relax—maybe at 9 months. You ladies hang in there, your hair will love and thank you for it! :)

WhipEffectz1

JenniferMD said:
I use to count the days but now it’s a piece of cake. I’m at 24 weeks and I have no idea when I’m going to relax—maybe at 9 months. You ladies hang in there, your hair will love and thank you for it! :)

JenniferMD,

I am trying for nine months if everything goes well once I get to six months. I like reading about how you stretched to nine months. It gives me inspiration.

kizzylonghair

JenniferMD said:

Jennifer

How do you do it, can you share with me. I maybe I will try and stretch after
this first 12 on

Thanks

caramelty

Hey ladies I see I am not alone either I am at 10 weeks and I guess it isn't so bad b/c I have these braids but every time I look in the mirror and see the new growth I am ready to take these things out then I look at everyone's pictures with there hair down and I want more length so the next time I wear my hair down atleast I will have a inch or 2 I am taking my hair down April 2 and just let it breathe for a week then I am -relaxing April 9 which will put me at 19 weeks and then I will get my hair done April 16 the day I leave for Vegas....I hope I can stick with it its hard very hard but I want some length my hair is already very healthy dammit I just want some LENGTH...I hope everyone makes it to there goal and dang it doesnt make it any better that I have the thickest unruly 4b hair in the world.

belleza

I'm stretching my relaxer too. I'm 7.5 weeks post relaxer. I'm going for 8 weeks but I'm having success stretching, so I might do more. I'm doing CO washes and wearing wigs.

PaperDoll

~the original~
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's relaxer day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was 12 weeks and 1 day but it's actually 13 weeks and 1 day!

I even moved my appt. up from 5:30 pm to 2:30 pm

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:spinning: :spinning: :spinning: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :bouncegre :bouncegre :bouncegre :woot: :woot: :woot: :yay: :yay::yay: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :band2: :band2: :band2: :bouncegre :bouncegre :bouncegre :dance7: :dance7: :dance7: :creatures :creatures :creatures :clap: :clap: :clap: :trampolin :trampolin :trampolin :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

Just had to get that out!

Have a good weekend ladies!

Victory1

PaperDoll said:
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was 12 weeks and 1 day but it's actually 13 weeks and 1 day!

I even moved my appt. up from 5:30 pm to 2:30 pm

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:spinning: :spinning: :spinning: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :bouncegre :bouncegre :bouncegre :woot: :woot: :woot: :yay: :yay::yay: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :band2: :band2: :band2: :bouncegre :bouncegre :bouncegre :dance7: :dance7: :dance7: :creatures :creatures :creatures :clap: :clap: :clap: :trampolin :trampolin :trampolin :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

Just had to get that out!

Have a good weekend ladies!

Someone is EXCITED!!!

Tracy

Kudos for getting to week 8! If you're not used it to it, that's hard.

I personally don't think you should relax until you really need to. If you aren't getting any breakage, it's fine to keep going. In fact, since the cornrows are working for you (well maybe not on your brain :lol: but on your hair they're holding you down! :lol: ) I would even consider making this your stretching routine....going into braids at whatever point you feel you need to, to avoid breakage and manipulation...and stretch as long as you can!

Stretching, if you can do it (I can't) is wonderful for the hair and really gives it a much needed rest from all the chemicals. People who stretch always get more noticeable touch-up to touch-up growth according to my eyes. I always wished I could do it with success. Week 10 is about my limit....

kizzylonghair said:
Ladies,

This is the first time that I am stretching out my relaxer, To be honest I think that I am GOING MAD!!
I am currently at week 8 the longest time that I have ever gone. I am trying to stretch to week 12. I even have my appointment booked at the salon for my March relaxer.
But damn I cant keep looking at my calendar, counting the days the hours, Hell I may even start counting my toes!!.
I am really enjoying this new hair journey, I have noticed lots of re-growth.
But, I just cant wait to see the real length of my hair after my relaxer. The suspense is killing.
What if after all the hard work and waiting I don’t see any difference.
I have attended a lot of functions for family and friends with my hair not looking its best. I had to take action so currently I have been wearing cornrows and lovin them as I cant get to my hair giving it a break. Plus been receiving lots of compliments
Should I just go ahead and relaxer now. Its not breaking and I have just over 1 inch of re-growth. I have a question if you have 1 inch of re-growth does that equal 1 inch of relaxer hair???

Am I being obsessive ???
Does anyone feel the same I need to know that I am not going mad!!!

Kizzy