4bers and Aers too - does your hair DO THIS WEIRD THING TOO?

kurlybella

so i'm back to wondering what my hair type is.
all and all, it's not really important, but it does kinda make me wonder.

i used to think i was 4a/b now i think i'm more 4b so 4b with very little a...

anyway.

this section of hair went from this wet:

7_3_085of11-vi.jpg

to this with cantu applied:

IMG_1527-vi.jpg

can anyone else's 4b hair do this?

here is another comparison:

IMG_1528-vi.jpg

i used to think this particular section was some of my 4a hair but i don't think so...i see other 4a heads and i'm like, my hair does not look like that dry as you can see above - looks 4b dry. when wet my hair also does not dry in ringlests or super bouncy coils like many of the 4as i see on the board. i get some coils but if i don't wash in sections, it's all she wrote and i'll be in detangling h e double hockey sticks!

it's almost like i'm a 4a but only when i have product. :drunk:

when dry with no product = 4b
when wet and conditioner/other products applied = 4a with some b in the kitchen

now don't get it twisted. this same hair can super napp up and turn into one dread lock in a minute! :wallbash:

what's really going on? :perplexed

i know there is a 4b curl debate. but i've never heard anyone ask if their 4b hair does this. and these are not super close shots. the wet hair with no product is kinda but that ringlet shot is a regular one. so i didn't have to zoom in to show definition. my hair will fall like that.

anyone else experience this with their hair?

Last edited:
My hair can't do that even with product. (Your hair is pretty by the way). Only if I have a twistout, haven't combed in weeks, and then wet it. I'm not great with the hair type thing but I'd guess you are 4a or 4a/b but not 4b.

I would categorize your hair in the 4b section. Even though it clumped that parts looks more 4b... 4a imo would be more ringlet-ty

Or probably for 4/b.... Ugh.. this typing system ticks me off... we should create one -_-

IMO, you're a 4b. Not that hair typing is the most exact science anyway. You can get the look of a 4a with product but your hair without product is a 4b.

My hair, without product or anything, behaves like a 4b. Recently, I've started seeing a lot more curls/large coils but someone pointed out to me that may be because I use baking soda to wash my hair. I generally think I'm a mixture of a & b, but more b than a.

Certain sections of my head, yeah. I've yet to figure out how to get my whole head to look like that, esp. after it dries. :lol: I've given up on the hairtyping - I'm a 4.

I don't know I think the character of our "Afro-textured" hair changes when exposed to different elements. Its like H2O- goes from gas to liquid to solid. Although parts of my hair dries in ringlets, when I brush it out dry it looks just like yours. In fact the lady, mentioned in another thread who has the biracialhair website has pictures that look like yours. Her tailbone length hair looks very loose smoothed with product but her side by side shot of dry paddle brushed hair vs her product ringlets looks just like your picture.

OT QUESTION: Can us LHCF ladies create our own typing system? :wallbash: Esp when it comes to the type fours... because its all so confusing I reallydon't think there are only 2 types (a&b)

OT QUESTION: Can us LHCF ladies create our own typing system? :wallbash: Esp when it comes to the type fours... because its all so confusing I reallydon't think there are only 2 types (a&b)

I don't think there will ever be a typing system that encompasses our many different hair types. I think hair type is truly unique and even when it seems like you can group some people together, there's always an outlier.

I'm with Kiya...I know I'm a 4. Some parts of my head may be a and some may be b. But generally, knowing that I'm a 4 is enough.

My hair looks like yours when I use certain products and then finger comb it. However, it does not lockup as easily as it sounds like yours does. How often do you detangle?

Ok, now I know what they mean when they say hair twin.

My hair looks exactly like yours when it's wet and with product ...exactly!! It can also napp up quickly and the ends can lock up quickly if I leave my twists in too long.

I used to think I was a 4B but now I lean more towards 4A.

I don't much believe in typing anymore though, I just deal with my hair the way it is.

My hair looks like yours when I use certain products and then finger comb it. However, it does not lockup as easily as it sounds like yours does. How often do you detangle?

i don't put my hands in my head a lot, but at least once a week - when washing, etc. to

it's not like if i don't do anything it will just be one big rock :lachen:okay i may have given the impression that i'm one napp away from bob marley. my bad.

but this stuff, let me tell ya.

it's like my hair looks like my cousin's did when dry. she has very, very coarse 4b hair. but when my aunt did water and grease on us as kids, my hair would curl and wave up, hers did not.

my hair is bipolar.

Last edited:
Ok, now I know what they mean when they say hair twin.

My hair looks exactly like yours when it's wet and with product ...exactly!! It can also napp up quickly and the ends can lock up quickly if I leave my twists in too long.

I used to think I was a 4B but now I lean more towards 4A.

I don't much believe in typing anymore though, I just deal with my hair the way it is.

ohhh! foki link! fotki link please!! :yep:

I agree the two textures for 4's are not enough.

I tend to follow the LOIS it has a lot more versatility.

Here is their definition and the website for vewing.

The bends, kinks and coils of your hair will resemble one of more of the letters L, O, I or S.
  • L - If the hair has all bends, right angles and folds with little to no curve then you are daughter L. O - If the strand is rolled up into the shape of one or several zeros like a spiral, then you are daughter O. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I - If the hair lies mostly flat with no distinctive curve or bend you are daughter I.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]S - If the strand looks like a wavy line with hills and valleys then you are daughter S.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You may have a combination of the L,O,I,S letters, possibly with one dominant. If you cannot see one letter over the others, then combine the letters. Example: LO or IL or OS.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.ourhair.net/content/view/29/40/
[/FONT]

that is so interesting. yes the hair typing system obviously wasn't created by someone who has kinky hair b/c they would have known that you can't fit us into two categories! you're hair is cute. makes me want to keep transitioning to see what I find.

I have no idea what my hair type is. I gave up long ago. I know that It a. Tangles, b. needs a whip to get it straight, c. I fight with it weekly.

That is all I know.

You look like 4a. Like another poster said...even with product I don't think 4b curls like that. Mine definitely doesn't. I thought 4a was curls that look more like watch springs...S shape And 4b had more of a z to it. No real curl. Unless I"m actually 5a now..lol. I hear that's a new one.

Last edited:
My hair looks BOMB wet. All the little crinkly things jumping off. But, when it dries oh budy...shrinkage and compact. lol.

So yea my hair can do that WET. lol.

My hair does this. It clumps at the ends when dry with no product, but the rest is a cross between nappy, kinky, and frizzy. With Cantu leave-in or Fantasia Gel, 50-70% of it will curl/coil up and only the roots look frizzy.

ohhh! foki link! fotki link please!! :yep:

Sorry, I don't have a Fotki. I'm not that technically savvy and really don't have the time to keep up with it :nono:.

Next time I have my hair out I'll take a pic and post it. I do know how to do that.

Back