4a Naturals: Successful Flexirods On Wet Hair?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Greetings, fam.

I read a few old flexirod threads and am wondering after yesterday's practice flexirod attempt: Will our 4a coily spirals typically mean that a flexirod set on wet hair will end up lookin like an elongated wash and go? If not, how can I get my 4a coils to smooth out with flexirod without first stretching my hair and putting the rods on dry hair? I'm hoping to be able to do this on wet hair.

I'm okay with it if the wet coils can only yield something that looks like a wash and go. I just need to know whether I should keep attempting to achieve smoothness or not. Many TIA!

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
I'm not 4a but flexirods on my wet hair comes out in extremely shrunken Shirley Temple style curls. Totally unwearable and nothing at all like a wash n go lol.
Maybe it was my technique though.

what sort of result are you looking for?

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
^^must have been my technique because my hair did not come out like that :lol:
mine was more shrunken and just like a little girl hairstyle and I used large rods lol.

But i just realized what you were asking in the OP.
I don't see why the flexis wouldn't be able to stretch your hair smooth if you do it tightly enough. It's not really different from a roller set.

GGsKin

I know exactly what you mean! @YvetteWithJoy I haven't consistently done roller sets because a) I don't have a hood dryer and b)the very issue you describe. I think I haven't even used my flexi rods on my own hair. There is no pay off for all my hard work:lol:. Instead of looking like I just spent 4 hrs styling, my hair just looks messy because my texture wants to fight the set. I have to use tiny sections and put a lot of tension on my hair to achieve a smooth-strand result. I know my technique isn't good enough yet where I can avoid popping off strands, either with tension alone or fine-tooth combing my wet hair.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to achieve, but a flexirod set is nothing like a WNG.

Like a PP stated, the flexirods will shrink the hair. It's curling. The only possible way I can think to get smooth hair, with no coily spirals and the successful flexirod set, is to stretch the hair prior to placing the rods on and letting them set for about a day. How you would stretch the hair is up to you.

As a 4A head, who has spirals all week, even over time with that faithful "neglect" look our hair is subjected to, my hair still never stretches or losing curl. And the only time I've ever has a successful rod set was on stretched hair.