New Challenge, Stay Natural in '08

dicapr

I've been natural for about 8 months. My hair is shoulder length now but shrinks up to my nape when wet :nono:. I takes forever to twist and detangle because my kinks are in love with my coils and they never want to let each other go. My wash and go's are crazy looking-I look like a coily girl when wet but after air drying and shrinkage I look like I have knots on my hair because the coils shrink up soo much not to mention the 4a curls get smaller and tighter toward the back of my head until the nape is 4b. I've been eyeing texturizers for the last month. This being said, I am determined to be natural this time next year. The challenge is easy, just don't relax or texturize. Go ahead, blow dry or press if you need to. Just join me in the quest to stay away from the relaxer isle at your local BSS.

dicapr - a woman after my own heart :rosebud:

i can't do wng's either for some of the same reasons. i've got goals to reach and those danged wng's will have me ripping and tearing myself right back to scratch.

it seems unfair cause i don't even consider remaining natural much of a challenge.

so don't fret I got ya back :grin: when you need a :poke: or a :bat:.

I'm in too! Not that it is much of a challenge for either because this is my second time around being natural. This time I've been natural for two and a half years, before that it was three years natural with a year of relaxing in the middle. I swore I would never go back to the creamy crack and I won't! I will die nappy (but not gray - loves me some henna!) Just say NO!

Let's share all of our tips on how we've made peace with our hair and what makes this journey worth it!

I'm in! I'm currently rocking something between a baldie and a twa. This is my 3rd natural attempt so I may need a lil' tough love :look:.

I'm in. :grin: I'm not relaxing again but I'm here for anyone that needs support or encouragement.

Last edited:
I'm in too. Havn't thought about getting a relaxer since my last one years ago, IM A HAPPY NAPPY :yep: But i understand the obsticles & difficulties of being natural and @ times can be discouraging. Im here to :grouphug3: and give a good :kick:or :poke:eek:r:spank:to those who need a little extra encouragement. So by the end of 08 we will continue to rock :afro:

Last edited:
I'm in, primarily to support the other folks in the challenge--I have no intention on relaxing, but I know that it can be difficult to deal with the tangles, the knots, the shrinkage, etc., in spite of the advantages.

I'm in!!!! I'm currently putting in a sew-in weave to protect my hair during the winter months. I realized that I can't do the "wash-and-go" thing . . . that's a recipe for steel wool. Long Aid curl activator is my friend . . . leaves the hair very soft and supple.

<----that's a quick weave in my avi.

I'm here for encouragement and support too! :bighug::needhug: Been natural for awhile now and have absolutely no intention on ever putting chemicals in my hair again. :nono:

I'm in, primarily to support the other folks in the challenge--I have no intention on relaxing, but I know that it can be difficult to deal with the tangles, the knots, the shrinkage, etc., in spite of the advantages.
^^^DITTO! im in

I'll join... but as someone in need of the encouragement. I have been thinking really hard about just getting a texturize for a while now. My hair is very frustrating. Bring any support and or encouragement you can offer right over here.
I have 4abz hair!

:goodpost:I've transitioned to natural starting April 06. i don't remember when i did the BC but i have been natural since 07 for sure.

i don't intend to relax again cause i like my natural curls. But they are days that i think man it would sure be easier. :pullhair:

What i have done to help me out a little with my natural locks is to use the natural relax for my hair using yogurt and conditioner. i will continue to use that to help me to manage my hair.

I'm in. Very timely because I BC'ed last night! I don't want to relax ever again. I will need some support though (second attempt at natural). I also do not want to trim in '08. :)

I've been natural for about 8 months. My hair is shoulder length now but shrinks up to my nape when wet :nono:. I takes forever to twist and detangle because my kinks are in love with my coils and they never want to let each other go. My wash and go's are crazy looking-I look like a coily girl when wet but after air drying and shrinkage I look like I have knots on my hair because the coils shrink up soo much not to mention the 4a curls get smaller and tighter toward the back of my head until the nape is 4b. I've been eyeing texturizers for the last month. This being said, I am determined to be natural this time next year. The challenge is easy, just don't relax or texturize. Go ahead, blow dry or press if you need to. Just join me in the quest to stay away from the relaxer isle at your local BSS.

Hello little sis. I understand every single one of your issues. (See siggy)
I have been doing this for a while and the last two years without heat. For all of you who need support or encouragement you can email me or pm me.

It is difficult to keep remembering this process as a journey with the ups and downs, finding out what works and what doesn't and the goals are fleeting once you reach one then you are on to the next. So much of your time is on the journey to get to or obtain something else with regards to your hair. Have to remember you are going to be hearing, walking by or down the aisle past many things that will seem to make the journey lighter but there is a reason you went natural so it would be good to have support and encouragement to help see you through.

Signed Big Sis. :yep:

Relaxers are no longer a part of my vocabulary. But I am here to give support, encouragement and to cheer you ladies on:pepper::happydance::superbanana:Congrats OP and to all the ladies who are joining her!

I'll join... but as someone in need of the encouragement. I have been thinking really hard about just getting a texturize for a while now. My hair is very frustrating. Bring any support and or encouragement you can offer right over here.
I have 4abz hair!

Don't do it!!!! You'll likely just end up with frizz. Truly kinky hair will not curl just b/c it's texturized . . . it'll just loosen the kink and your hair will look like zzzzzzs. If you haven't already, try some curl activator (I like Long Aid extra moisturizing). It has glycerin which is a humectanct and will soften the coarsest hair (like mine). Not too much though . . . it can get greasy, but your hair WILL be soft. Good luck!

Don't do it!!!! You'll likely just end up with frizz. Truly kinky hair will not curl just b/c it's texturized . . . it'll just loosen the kink and your hair will look like zzzzzzs. If you haven't already, try some curl activator (I like Long Aid extra moisturizing). It has glycerin which is a humectanct and will soften the coarsest hair (like mine). Not too much though . . . it can get greasy, but your hair WILL be soft. Good luck!

:yep: @ the bolded.

freelove, you can do all sorts of stuff with your hair to give it a nice "textured" look.

braids and cornrows for braid-outs, flat twists and twists for twist-outs and bantu knots are all good.

you can even use curlers on your twists and braids to curl the "out" style.

use a setting lotion, aloe vera gel, ors lock and twist, any ole non alcohol gel will do. apply to soaking wet hair for the tightest, most defined set.

experiment with different size braids and twists to see which gives you the set you like best.

hang in there!

I am in! This is my 5th time trying to go natural. My last perm was 08/07... Only 4 months in. I need all the encouragment possible. Thanks!

Back