4A fine hair ladies that do weaves

MsRR

I'm going to start doing weaves to grow out and hopefully thicken my hair... are there any fine hair 4a ladies that get weaves..and did it work well for you or damaged your hair even more? Please specify if you are relaxed or natural...and if it damaged your hair did you notice immediately after the first sew in or was this over a period of time...and how long did you leave it in. Thx

Last edited:

Zsugar

For me it has really helped. My hair is medium thickness, but now I make sure I have the stylist use a little weaving hair around the edges for less tension at the nape/temples.

gn1g

I think it damages. I did a sew in and my hair shed and broke off like crazy.

MsRR

For me it has really helped. My hair is medium thickness, but now I make sure I have the stylist use a little weaving hair around the edges for less tension at the nape/temples.
Are you relaxed or natural?

ronalisa

I have fine hair and when I was relaxed it broke off a lot of my hair, mostly the edges. I think this was due to tight braiding plus when they sew in the hair, that adds additional tension. I would consider doing a sew-in maybe one day but with the right hairdresser. And on another note, if you are also considering twists or braids with extensions beware. I just took out two-strand twists (w/extensions) after 6 weeks and one side of my hair is over an inch or 2 shorter than the other. (I wanted to cry). Take it from me, those knots will wipe out your fine strands, never again. Now I'm back to being twisted up with just my own hair, which will keep my hair protected and growing again.

MsRR

I have fine hair and when I was relaxed it broke off a lot of my hair, mostly the edges. I think this was due to tight braiding plus when they sew in the hair, that adds additional tension. I would consider doing a sew-in maybe one day but with the right hairdresser. And on another note, if you are also considering twists or braids with extensions beware. I just took out two-strand twists (w/extensions) after 6 weeks and one side of my hair is over an inch or 2 shorter than the other. (I wanted to cry). Take it from me, those knots will wipe out your fine strands, never again. Now I'm back to being twisted up with just my own hair, which will keep my hair protected and growing again.

I took my 1st sew in down on Wed 7/7/10 and it was in for a month not sure I can tell bad or good if it did anything yet...so I'm getting another sew in on 7/14...and my last relaxer was in May...so hope it don't break or thin it anymore then it already is..I will only leave in a month at a time to check my progress... thx for responding.

Bublin

Any form of extensions rip through my fine strands and irritate my scalp badly. I only style using my own hair.

Vintageglam

fine hair = fine/ smaller follicles = greater propensity to damage and hair loss with weaves.

just my two cents.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i'm natural.
weaves seemed to thin out my hair a little bit, even when i was taking very good care of my hair underneath. i never really had an edge problem, cause i usually leave my edges out.

Tif392002

when i was relaxed, i relized sew in-s thin my hair out GREATLY. i was gaining length, but i was thinning. i wore them for about 18 months straight , tryna grow my hair ...smh., anyway im natural now and havent tried a sew in yet, i guess i know my hair better, i still think it will thin out, unless i wear thm 2 or 3 weeks at a time and thats a waste huh? when ladies wear theirs 3-4 months, my hair would be so thin if i did that....
]

I'm relaxed and my hair is fine-medium. The few times i wore weaves in the past, i didn't have any problems with it and my hair grew out nicely. You just need to make sure that they don't braid/stitch it up too tight if not that might lead to breakage. As for braids or twists with extensions, the only time my edges break off is if the extensions is too heavy for my hair. So i rarely get them done, but when i do the front is usually small but not like micro braids. Hope this helps

almond eyes

Women with fine hair whether 4a or 4b need to be aware of the following when weaving or braiding/twisting with extension hair;

1. Tight cornrows and grabbing the edges
2. Tight sewing
3. Using too much extension hair per braid or twist
4. Using synthetic hair (human hair is gentler)

I have extremely fine hair and just had it weaved up fully. I am taking it down after two weeks, will let you know. Taking it down after two weeks because I need to shampoo my hair and rinsing the inside just doesn't work.

Best,
Almond Eyes

dreamgurl82

I agree with most of the posters above- I have fine 4a? hair and whilst I gained tremendous length with the weaves- my hair thinned out real bad and I have recently had to chop off a bit just to make it regain some fullness- but that was just my experience (even with the most gentle male weaver who treated my strands with great care).

gn1g

what r u ladies putting on your hair underneath the weave? My hair and scalp dries out really bad. I tried using "the juice" I had the same amount of damage.

Boujoichic

I have fine hair I think Im 4a or 3c\4a Ive been wearing weaves with a little break in between installs now for about a year and I am transitioning to natural. I have no thinning of my edges or damage to my hair because I found an excellent stylist. When she braids up my hair she leaves my edges out and she is so gentle I can barely feel her braiding she also does not sew it in tight. My head never hurts after an install. But my weaves are so secure that they do not come loose until I uninstall. Also I would not recommend going longer than 3 mos on one install to prevent any matting. I think a lot of ladies have problems with weaves damaging their hair because they either do not do the research and invest the money to get a good stylist or they believe that weaves need to be tight enough to give you a mini face lift to last.

lilsparkle825

I am 3c/4a and I have fine strands. When I was relaxed and did the weave thing, my hair was ok....I just had a hard time getting the right balance between enough leave-out to cover my tracks and too much to be protective. I have now been natural for two years. I just took out a sew-in I got installed four weeks ago, and so far I have not noticed any damage. Make sure to get your cornrows reinforced with braiding hair so that your hair is not ripped by the thread/weight of the wefts.

Boujoichic

what r u ladies putting on your hair underneath the weave? My hair and scalp dries out really bad. I tried using "the juice" I had the same amount of damage.
Sulfate free shampoos are really good for itchy scalp I used to keep a flaky itchy scalp until I switched to sulfate free. Also rinsing with ACV Can really help soothe the scalp and mixing a few drops of tea tree oil with whatever oil or moisturizer you are using on your scalp. I put my products in those color applicator bottles you can get from sallys so I can use the nozzles to reach my scalp.

MsRR

Women with fine hair whether 4a or 4b need to be aware of the following when weaving or braiding/twisting with extension hair;

1. Tight cornrows and grabbing the edges
2. Tight sewing
3. Using too much extension hair per braid or twist
4. Using synthetic hair (human hair is gentler)

I have extremely fine hair and just had it weaved up fully. I am taking it down after two weeks, will let you know. Taking it down after two weeks because I need to shampoo my hair and rinsing the inside just doesn't work.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Thanks...when you say using sythetic hair you mean when she braiding my hair to add this into it? Also, let me know after you take your hair down how it turn out.. if you notice thin or any damage to your hair..you can PM me if you like or reply here.... thx

MsRR

I am 3c/4a and I have fine strands. When I was relaxed and did the weave thing, my hair was ok....I just had a hard time getting the right balance between enough leave-out to cover my tracks and too much to be protective. I have now been natural for two years. I just took out a sew-in I got installed four weeks ago, and so far I have not noticed any damage. Make sure to get your cornrows reinforced with braiding hair so that your hair is not ripped by the thread/weight of the wefts.

Ok thanks...I will check with Nichi its her hairstylist I'm going to...to see if she uses the braiding hair...thanks again ladies for responding I really apprieciate it.:yep:
Ok I check and she does:yep:... so far so good...

Last edited: