Any ladies w/fine-hair have experience w/sew in weaves?

Ms Lala

Hello Ladies,

One of my friends wants to get a full sew-in to give her hair a break from daily heat-styling etc... She is considering growing her relaxer out also. I know she plans to use human hair for the weave. She currently has fine type 4a or b , relaxed hair and is concerned about breakage or tangling of her hair while it is braided since her hair is thin and fine. Do you ladies have any tips on what she can do to care for her hair w/the weave? Or any other options that she can consider if the weave isn't the best option for her?

Millahdoowop

Well I suggest that she tells the stylist to not braid her hair too tight. She needs to emphasize to the stylist the condition of her hair and that it is very important that she doesn't lose hair once the weave comes out. Also, she can get a net weave which won't cause too much tension/stress on her hair.

Ms Lala

Well I suggest that she tells the stylist to not braid her hair too tight. She needs to emphasize to the stylist the condition of her hair and that it is very important that she doesn't lose hair once the weave comes out. Also, she can get a net weave which won't cause too much tension/stress on her hair.

Thanks Millah, any more tips ladies.

prettypuff1

Tell her to make sure her stylist uses verticle braids and not horizontal ones. I found that when i had horizontal ones there was a lot of pulling on my hair and that I couldnt keep the style as long.

Ms Lala

Tell her to make sure her stylist uses verticle braids and not horizontal ones. I found that when i had horizontal ones there was a lot of pulling on my hair and that I couldnt keep the style as long.

Thank you, I didn't realize the direction of the braids mattered!! How did you care for your hair under the weave, did you wash it often etc... she was asking me about this but I"m really not sure.

**WonderWoman**

I'm 3c/4a transitioning to texlaxed. I have been transitioning with weaves. My advice is:
1) no tight braids - lie to the stylist and tell her you're tender-headed and get painful sores if they're too tight. Lol
2) Tell stylist not too tug/pull on the thread too hard when she's sewing
3) must wash at least 1ce/week and DC - As a fine haired lady, my hair needs that extra support
4) moisturize everyother day
5) I'm not sure if this is an issue for some of you ladies, but ever since my new stylist started braiding my own with no extensions (under the weave), my hair has seen more improvement from sew-ins. The stylist told me the extensions were probably drying out my hair by sucking the moisture from my hair. I don't know about all that, but i've never braided my hair with extensions again!

chitowngal330

I agree with much of the advice already given. A few things to add:

1. Wash once a week with watered down shampoo (I use one part shampoo to two parts water) so residue does not get left in the braids.
2. Use a good leave in conditioner, helps the condition of my hair and its strength when I take it out.
3. Moisturize your hair and scalp often
4. Sleep with a satin bonnet or scarf to help preserve the style
5. I only leave my sew ins for up to 8 weeks. Some say longer, but for me, it helps to be able to do a good DC at least that often
6. I stress what others have said about making sure the stylist doesn't braid too tight. Fib if you must.

hothair

The Applicator bottle is your best friend, I wash once a week with diluted shampoo aimed at the scalp and dilute conditioner afterwards for DC. Oil scalp nightly (using applicator bottle). That's it:grin:

RegaLady

The sprizt bottle was a mush have for me. I would put moisturizing braid spray, VO5 conditioner, and moisturizer lotion, and shake well, then I would spray inbetween the tracks to the braids, about every other day, to add moisture. Every time I took my hair down, my hair was so soft and moisturized, and I had no breakage!:yep:
Also lite oil around the edges keeps the hair from pulling around the hairline!:yep:

TracyNicole

I agree with what everybody said so far. I just took down a $300+ hair weave. The braids were too tight and that woman sewed my own hair so tight that it was almost impossible to sleep on. She did it while my hair was wet and by the time that darn weave dried I thought I was going to go out of my mind. I think hair should be dry and I agree with eliminating the synthetic hair in the braids. It really does dry the hair out.

Ms Lala

I'm 3c/4a transitioning to texlaxed. I have been transitioning with weaves. My advice is:
1) no tight braids - lie to the stylist and tell her you're tender-headed and get painful sores if they're too tight. Lol
2) Tell stylist not too tug/pull on the thread too hard when she's sewing
3) must wash at least 1ce/week and DC - As a fine haired lady, my hair needs that extra support
4) moisturize everyother day
5) I'm not sure if this is an issue for some of you ladies, but ever since my new stylist started braiding my own with no extensions (under the weave), my hair has seen more improvement from sew-ins. The stylist told me the extensions were probably drying out my hair by sucking the moisture from my hair. I don't know about all that, but i've never braided my hair with extensions again!

Thanks so much for responding. How do you DC w/the weave in?

**WonderWoman**

Thanks so much for responding. How do you DC w/the weave in?

The same way you moisturize your hair (with a spray or applicator bottle) apply the DC to your own hair. Cover with shower cap and sit under a dryer or however you want to DC.

Right before I rinse out my DC, i put a little of the conditioner on the weave itself. Just smooth it down. Don't manipulate the weave. Leave for 2mins and rinse.

Ms Lala

The same way you moisturize your hair (with a spray or applicator bottle) apply the DC to your own hair. Cover with shower cap and sit under a dryer or however you want to DC.

Right before I rinse out my DC, i put a little of the conditioner on the weave itself. Just smooth it down. Don't manipulate the weave. Leave for 2mins and rinse.

That is a great idea. Thanks for this info.