2017 Hair Growth And Weight Loss Challenge (jan-dec)

I forgot to mention i ordered a body analyzer scale from Amazon yesterday. Should arrive later this week. will see how accurate it is. Had it in my cart for months. lol

Hair is in chunky twists up in one, ends tucked. Keeping it for the last two weeks in January. I'm thinking of doing chunky twists instead of my regular medium size as i believe i won't damage my ends more from trying to undo them. Moisturized with water- aloe juice mix and an oil combination of caster, soybean and coconut oil.

Is it weird to say I'm doing my hair routine not really paying attention to how my hair really responds to products. I switch/ test products a lot but i wont consider myself a product junkie. I definitely know olive oil is not my friend. Shea butter makes me itch a little.

I finally have taken down my faux locs, zi must say it was a success. After taking them down I had a massivr amount of shedding that would not stop. I did a DYI hair mask of Garlic, onion and ACV and the sheading stopped completely. Right now my hair is resting until I do my next long term protective syle of mini twist. My plan is to lightly dust my hair then twist it into mini twist and wear them for 4 to 6 weeks.
As far as my weight. Ive been eating a salad a day.... Last night when taking my starting point hair picture I saw my self from tue back and wasnt to happy, soooooo I am officially getting serious about losing about 10 to 15 pounds. Im working on a diet and workout plan to be started this weekend.

I miss doing weights too. I worked my triceps and biceps last week with weights, but I was just easing myself back in to start using my Total Gym again for muscle and strength building. I'm also going to start back with weighted hip thrusts.
I didn't go to class yesterday. I ate eggs with spinach last night. Drank water with it, didn't want to drink my green tea with it. Heard green tea slows iron absorption. Will be doing some light weights for upper body this morning. I really miss doing weights.

I did great last week but went out of town for the weekend. Had a lot of salad but also had a few desserts. Yesterday the scale said I dropped a pound today it said I gained 1.5 lbs. Some of that is inflammation from working out. I will see on the weekend.

I was going to skip working out today and workout tomorrow but I have a meeting tomorrow. I will see tonight.

So one of my clients asked me today if I'm putting on weight because I look a little fat. I told him I worked hard at putting it on in 2016 so don't hate. I was really secretly annoyed with him for saying that though :lol:

Hair:
About 10 inches all around
Year's Goal: 14 inches all around

Weight:
My first weigh in was 160 pounds eeeekk
Most recent was 156, but that was about a week ago. Can't weight (get it) to check my progress!
hehehe.
My weight goal is 125 pounds for my 5'4'' height. I just feel a lot better, smaller than I am now.

Last edited:
When I get comments like that I really have to think twice before I respond. I usually get negative feelings first but I try not to be rude.

I wonder what kinds of comments I'll get once the weight starts to disappear :look:. I can't wait. By the middle of this year I will be down at least 25 lbs - that's my goal. And by the end of the year, I will be down a total of 38 lbs, bringing me right to my ideal weight of 125-128 lbs.

I am only 5'4" and my bone density is kind of small to normal - definitely not large. So I can't afford to drag this kind of weight around forever. I've held a 35 lb dumb bell in my hand - and let me tell you, it's no joke. That is a heavy weight.

I wonder what kinds of comments I'll get once the weight starts to disappear :look:. I can't wait. By the middle of this year I will be down at least 25 lbs - that's my goal. And by the end of the year, I will be down a total of 38 lbs, bringing me right to my ideal weight of 125-128 lbs.

I am only 5'4" and my bone density is kind of small to normal - definitely not large. So I can't afford to drag this kind of weight around forever. I've held a 35 lb dumb bell in my hand - and let me tell you, it's no joke. That is a heavy weight.

Right there with you, @Aggie! I'm 5' 2.5" and am now at 135. I don't have a large bone density either. (Is that a fancy weigh way of saying I'm not big-boned? :giggle:) When I'm at 120 pounds give or take 5 pounds, I'll be gravy! I want a flat stomach because (1) it's not healthy to have fat around your gut and (2) I want to always know I'm going to look good in my clothes! Life is better for me when my clothes just fit great and I have no stomach worries. So yeah: This stomach is out of here! I'm so excited about learning to make this a lifetime thing. :yep:

Last edited:
Right there with you, @Aggie! I'm 5' 2.5" and am now at 135. I don't have a large bone density either. (Is that a fancy weigh of saying I'm not big-boned? :giggle:) When I'm at 120 pounds give or take 5 pounds, I'll be gravy! I want a flat stomach because (1) it's not healthy to have fat around your gut and (2) I want to always know I'm going to look good in my clothes! Life is better for me when my clothes just fit great and I have no stomach worries. So yeah: This stomach is out of here! I'm so excited about learning to make this a lifetime thing. :yep:

I second this!!

Right there with you, @Aggie! I'm 5' 2.5" and am now at 135. I don't have a large bone density either. (Is that a fancy weigh way of saying I'm not big-boned? :giggle:) When I'm at 120 pounds give or take 5 pounds, I'll be gravy! I want a flat stomach because (1) it's not healthy to have fat around your gut and (2) I want to always know I'm going to look good in my clothes! Life is better for me when my clothes just fit great and I have no stomach worries. So yeah: This stomach is out of here! I'm so excited about learning to make this a lifetime thing. :yep:
Cute :giggle:

I'm still here. We went out of town for the weekend and I attended a gathering. I ended up eating way too much and too much of the wrong thing. So this week is about getting back on track. I'm running out of food though so I need to do some shopping this weekend.

I'm off track on my workouts as well. I haven't done any tae-bo or cycling but I have walked this week. I plan to do tae-bo tomorrow and cycling on Saturday.

Things should be back to normal on Monday.

Nothing going on with my hair. I need to moisturize it but I'm it's too late in the evening. Maybe I will get to it tomorrow.

I washed my hair this morning with 22nd Century Shampoo Bar and now DCing with 22nd Century Deep Conditioner under a plastic cap while at work all day today with my wig on top, of course.

I won't have time to DC tomorrow because I have an all day women's seminar to attend.

ETA: Looks like I'll be sleeping with this DC in my hair tonight because it's too late for me to deal with my hair right now. I just got off from a 13.5 hour day at work and ain't no way I'm washing my hair tonight :nono:.

Nothing going on here. Washed and retwisted my hair today. I'm keeping up with my vitamins. I was light on the water today. I have been getting my green vegetables/salads in and have been more focused on clean eating.

For exercise I have mostly walked last week getting between 8000 and 10000 steps. This week I will get back to my tae-bo and cycling. I've finally gotten my weight down to 145. I'm shooting for 139. If I can drop 1 lb a week that would be great. We will see how it goes.

:wavey:

Heyyyyy, everybody! Hope everyone is doing well!

Weight:
  • I am down 1.5 inches around my tummy. :wiggle: Unfortunately, I am down 0.5 inches in my bust, and I don't have bust to spare!:cry3:;)
  • I have not been sleeping regular hours, and that's not good: I've been staying up too many hours, then having to make up the time with 10-hour sleeps. Not good. Will try to do better this week.
  • I have eaten VERY healthy, but I have had 3 serious binge sessions while writing. I had some Doritos and cookies. I can avoid this if I purchase dark chocolate covered almonds. I really hate that cookies and Doritos are in the house for my oldest's lunch.
Hair:
I cleansed with 22nd Century Natural Woman's poo bar. I DC'd with DevaCurl Decadence One Condition. Hair is in 13 twists. I will try the DevaCurl B'Leave-in and Arc AnGEL for the first time today and see how that wash-and-go fares.

I got my body analyzer scale yesterday! Weighed myself this morning on the two scales to compare. I wore clothes on.

My original scale simply called Smart Scale has me at 70.5 kg or 155.42 lbs.

Results from the body analyzer :
Weight - 156 lbs (height 5'5")
BMI - 26 (overweight)
Body fat - 29.8 (inching towards above average)
Water % - 49.6 (For body fat % range of 21-29% it should be 52-58%, for body fat% range 30-32% it should be 49-52%)
Bone mass - 4.3 (above 135 lbs should be 4)
Muscle % - 30.9 (Women has approximately 30% muscles mass)

So i'm guessing I'm a bit dehydrated and have a lot of fat to burn. Need maintain a healthy diet also.
Will be hitting the gym today for sure.

I'm overdue to wash my hair. I have to make time this week.
Anyone mixing their Xcel21 with oil? If so, what proportions? It's just too watery and ruins my style.

Excercise is going great, thankfully! I'm seeing a decrease in my hips! :weird:
Excess hips and stomach ruin shopping for me, and I want to do a BIG wardrobe rehab by July, so I gotta keep at it. Aim is to lose 10lbs by end of March and an additional 10 by end of July.

Back