2011 APL Challenge

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Update: Well Thanks to my girl faithVA, I've started to detox with the Terressentials mud hair wash. I've always used the mud wash but never had a desire to do the detox part. I'm so glad that I've finally listened to faithVA and started the detox because my hair is transforming into a different head of hair :yep:. My hair is soft, my curls are really defined, my hair isn't shedding like crazy like it normally does, my hair isn't breaking like it normally does, my hair isn't air drying hard like it normally does, and I'm finally retaining moisture after I wash my hair :grin:! Since I've started this detox, I have become a DIYer and I've successfully made my own shea/mango/coco butter mix using oils my hair likes plus cermaides (wheat germ & sesame oil). I've made my first moisturizing lotion but I still need to tweak the formula a bit. That will be this weekend's adventure :lol:. I've also made some flax gel and I like that better than my KCCC because it really defines my curls and it leaves my hair soft and moisturized :yep:. I did a pull test this week and the back of my hair is grazing APL and the rest of my hair is collarbone length. I am hoping that by December that I will achieve FULL APL :yep:. I'm pretty sure I'll make it because my hair is growing at a steady rate and this mud wash is really improving the overall health of my hair and scalp :yep:.

faithVA

[USER=66315 said:
Beverly Ann Properties[/USER];14019457]faithVA you are a blessing to this blog. You are so supportive. I will continue to cheer everyone on from the sidelines.

[USER=266376 said:
tashboog[/USER];14019387]Update: Well Thanks to my girl faithVA, I've started to detox with the Terressentials mud hair wash.

Thank you Beverly_Ann_Properties. I'm blushing :blush:

Now you know when I start getting accolades I start beggin for stuff. :lol: Tashboog, don't use a sistah and then throw her to the curb. Now that you got that "good hair" don't forget where you came from. :lachen: And act like you don't know nobody.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Tashboog, don't use a sistah and then throw her to the curb. Now that you got that "good hair" don't forget where you came from. :lachen: And act like you don't know nobody.
Now faithVA, even though now I have "good hair", its all because of your knowledge and wisdom :notworthy! I could never forget you girl! We are homies for life :lol:!

Shananyganz

CHECKING IN~

After I took down my extension braids, I was a bit undecided as to what I wanted to do---I was going out of town and just need to NOT mess with my hair while on I was away. After a failed ¾ wig attempt (not giving up yet!!), I kinda fell into the whole sew-in/braid combo. This is a style I’ve done before, but last time I used human hair (Milky Way)and wasn’t quite happy with how it held up. It was a little more maintenance than what I wanted. The hair I used this time is…well I think its synthetic…but is acts like human… YET the package does not say that It is a human/synthetic blend (shrugs shoulders).

Anywho..it came out well and I have had it in since August 5th and so far so good. It DOES frizz…BUT it isn’t horrible *for me*. Plus, as I said, this hair kinda acts human, so I was able to wet, apply a little product and twist it up (for a twist out once dry). I attached a few pics and if anyone is interested, provided the rundown on the hair.

Specifics:

Brand: Zury Tika (Weave)
Texture: Jamaica Curl
Length: 16”
Color: #4
Packs: 3
Price: $11.99
** There is NOT a lot of hair that comes in these packs---unless I just totally did the weave part of this incorrect. Either way, I wanted a full look..so three packs it was.

Brand: Zury Braid (Bulk)
Texture: Deep Twist
Length: 20”
Color: #F4/30 and #30
Price: $5.99 (I think..please do NOT quote me…lol)
** These packs came with A LOT of hair AND I cut it in half…so I literally only used a little over one pack (I mixed it up so I had highlights in the part that was braided).

~S~

Attachments

• MicroSew1.jpg
    MicroSew1.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 52
  • MicroSew2.JPG
    356 KB · Views: 27
  • MicroSew3.jpg
    MicroSew3.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 54

faithVA

CHECKING IN~

After I took down my extension braids, I was a bit undecided as to what I wanted to do---I was going out of town and just need to NOT mess with my hair while on I was away. After a failed ¾ wig attempt (not giving up yet!!),Anywho..it came out well and I have had it in since August 5th and so far so good. It DOES frizz…BUT it isn’t horrible *for me*. Plus, as I said, this hair kinda acts human, so I was able to wet, apply a little product and twist it up (for a twist out once dry). I attached a few pics and if anyone is interested, provided the rundown on the hair.

QUOTE]

Looks like a great way and a great style to coast into APL. :yep:

Cocoeuro

Come on in Cocoeuro and join the party. :welcome:

Why, thank you!!! Here's my info:

Current length: Lead hairs at APL
Hair: Natural 4a
Current reggie:
Weekly:shampoo hair in 6 braids (plaits), deep condition w/ steam or under hooded dryer in 6 two-strand twists, detangle, retwist and rinse hair while in twists, roller set.
Monthly: do all above then flat-iron (I'm heat training)
Occasional : Henna to cover my grays (I make sure that I am soon due for a protein treatment prior to applying henna)
Every 6 weeks or two weeks after henna: Protein treatment with Apoghee 2 step
Style(s) of choice: Buns, corn-roll braid outs

I'm joining this challenge because I want to be full APL, this pic below was my last length check in June of this year. However, I do not know what the health of my ends are now. I recently moved back to the States from Europe and I have not been able to care for my hair the way I like to. I don't plan on using direct heat for a while, I want to baby my hair for a few weeks.

Last edited:

Luscious850

Hey ladies, checking in:

This week I braided my hair into individual box braids just so I don't manipulate it while I'm out of town visiting family. I only moisturized it once and that was on sunday when I braided it.

I plan on leaving my hair like this until sunday night when I get home. Who knows what I'll do with it then.

I'm 2.5 weeks post btw. :)

CurlyLawGal

Hi Ladies!

I have been watching this thread from the sidelines, so I just wanted to say congrats to everyone! Everyone is doing so well :). While I'm not an official member of the challenge, I hope I can claim APL right along with you all in December :grin:

HauteHippie

I'm going to probably up my iron intake after my physical. I think it'd help with my hair and more important things. It's funny b/c I'll remember hair supplements and my multi, but I hate taking iron/vit C. Apparently, it shows in my strands... and I can't stay awake.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

faithVA

Trying something new with my twists. I am going to apply a leave in/moisturizer of AVG and oil to my strands and then apply unpetroleum jelly to the strands instead of any gel. I want to see if I get a nice hold, seal in more moisture and reduce the SSKs. I think twisting with gel and then applying a sealant to the twist may not be enough.

newnyer

Can I mosey (sp?) my way in here ladies??? I'd be honored to be an unofficial APL challenger! I think I'm about 3-3.5 inches to my goal length- after that I may try to go longer but my primary focus will be thickness & growing out my trouble areas that will take a while to catch up (nape & crown). Praying to at least graze APL by the end of the year...but just by eyeballing it, I'm thinking it will be more like end of January/February. Who knows- all I can do is keep up healthy hair practices!

Touch ups every 8 weeks minimum & 13 max (for now at least).

I cowash 1-2x a week and shampoo/DC once a week. Moisturize & seal my ends every night.

My next venture is henna. Think I'll be doing that soon since I hear it's a decent treatment post-relaxer.

So the first pic is with a rollerset. The 2nd & 3rd are pics of my dry hair. HHG ladies!!

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using myTouch_4G_Slide

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1313639274849.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1313639274849.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 49
  • uploadfromtaptalk1313639291776.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1313639291776.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 47
  • uploadfromtaptalk1313639305477.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1313639305477.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 54

NewHairWOWeave

Congrats to all the ladies that have reached APL and beyond. :grin:

Well I think I have waited too long. I BELIEVE that I will be APL for Christmas. Thats the gift I will give my self a new length that I have not been to before. I have been faithfully taking my Hair, Nails and Skin Vitamin daily and moisturizing about 3-4 times a week. I do still use my Mega-Tek mix (i want super strong hairs at my roots.) And at my last relaxer which was 2 weeks ago i got my ends clipped. My siggy is my length check and also I posted one more pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20110808_114135.jpg
    IMG_20110808_114135.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 55

HauteHippie

NewHairWOWeave

Hey, hair-buddy! Your hair looks nice and thick! I ended up getting a trim, too (in June). Hopefully, we'll both make APL in Dec!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

diadall

With a little more than 4 months left, I don't know if I will hit APL this year. My bangs are right at the edge of my chin. My sides touch my shoulders with a bend. The back of my hair is a few inches from APL.

I did not really see progress until someone showed me a photo of me from my birthday last year.

faithVA

Did a quickie length check last night and this morning. My twists in the back appear to be 3" from APL. When I take out the twists, the stretched hair appears to be 2" from APL. I gain a lot of length when I straighten so I am going to estimate that my nape is about 1" from APl.

So with continued hair care and a trim between now and December, I think I will be grazing APL in the back.

Don't think I got a summer growth spurt but I have trimmed my ends 2x since I reached SL in April.

sj10460

Don't Come for me unless I send for you!
It's been a while since I've checked in. I haven't done so because I had nothing positive to contribute until now, the back of my hair is finally growing back in. I don't want to jynx myself but I'm so happy I have hair back there again:grin:

I'm not sure what caused it to fall out, but it fell out last may, so it's been well over a year and there's still not even an inch of hair, but hey progress is progress right? :yep:

I haven't done a length check in a while but I'm still SL last time I checked, The same as last year and the year before that:ohwell:

Attachments

• IMG00081-20110122-2004.jpg
    IMG00081-20110122-2004.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG00083-20110122-2007.jpg
    IMG00083-20110122-2007.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG00075-20110122-2001.jpg
    IMG00075-20110122-2001.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG00375-20110823-1735.jpg
    IMG00375-20110823-1735.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG00373-20110823-1734.jpg
    IMG00373-20110823-1734.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 44

alishadawnelle

I haven't checked in in forever. But a lot has changed. This weekend I'll post pics and a new regimen for sure. I need more accountability cause I was slacking.

Uniqzoe

Happy growing ladies! I recently put twist in my hair for 3 weeks and I'm currently rocking the twist out from them. I normally don't like wearing my hair in restricted styles but I absolutely loved the twists. I can't wait to add more.

:ot:Shananyganz your skin is simply flawless!

Attachments

• sidetwist-th.jpg
    sidetwist-th.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 219
  • twists.JPG
    twists.JPG
    438.7 KB · Views: 29

iamtan

Checking in......I'm so confused. I want to flat iron my hair for a length check but I`m scared of heat damage. I feel like I'm so close to apl but I only have 6.5" at the nape ( collarbone length). How do u know if ur apl with a pull test to the front? How far past your collar bone is apl?

Sent from my VM670 using VM670

Uniqzoe

How do u know if ur apl with a pull test to the front? How far past your collar bone is apl?

Sent from my VM670 using VM670

I also have a hard time gauging the length with a pull test in the front so I can't help you there. But the best way that I have done one in the back is get someone else to do it and snap a pic for you.

In the front by hair doesn't appear to reach my AP but in the back it does. HTH!

Imani

Still counting down til my next flat iron/length check, one month to go.

I'm back on my vitamins. I think if I really go hard this last month and doing the things I'm supposed to do I can make my goal of 9.5 inches for my next length check. That will put me 1/2 inch away from APL.

Loves Harmony

Is it to late for me to join?
Right now I am shoulder length and I have been for awhile. ( stop cutting) I am ready to let me hair grow out. I'm 4b natural. Been natural for 2 years now. I'm working on a protein moisture balance. Ive been wearing alot of twist out but I will be getting my hair french braid soon every 2 weeks to keep h.o.h.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using SCH-I500

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
So, ummm I haven't checked in since February :look:

I was grazing APL in May, but I cut a few inches off so I'm hoping to be there again by the end of the year. Actually, I hope I will have passed APL because I trimmed my hair all kinds of uneven so maybe then I can even up the ends :lachen: