Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2003, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Unsalted butter on hair?

I don't know why I just thought of this today, because this 'hair discussion' took place about 3 years ago.

I had a roommate from Eritrea (please forgive the speeling), next to Ethiopia, and her beautiful 3b/3c long curly hair started to break off. Frist, she went to a regular hair dresser and they gave her protein treatments, etc..., and she was not satisfied with the results. She said that it was too much money for a temporary solution. Then, she found a hairdresser from her country who told her that her hair is breaking from the change in climate, lifestyle, water, etc... from coming to the US. This hairdresser told her to apply unsalted butter to her hair at night, put on a shower cap, and sleep with the butter in her hair. In the morning, shampoo the scalp - not the hair - with a light shampoo, and apply a little conditioner. Finally, wear the hair in soft protective styles, for example no tight buns, but loose ones. Do this one month on and one month off.

She did this and after after about 2 weeks, I really saw the difference in her hair. The curls were very moisturized and shiny whereas they were kind of dry looking before (eventhough I always thought that she had beautiful hair).

She told me that in her country, many women sleep with this butter substance in their hair every night and do this treatment everyday. She said there is no substitute for this butter substance in the US and unsalted butter is the best equivalent. I don't know the name of the substance because she referred to it in her native language.

Anyway, I am going to try this for the next month starting this weekend and then post my results.

Has anyone else every heard of something like this?

Currently, I am finally officially bra-strap , but the hair has been brastrap for about 3-4 months. My hair grew like a weed from around shoulder length along with a bunch of 1-2 inch broken pieces at the crown while I transitioned for about 1.5 years. Then, about 2 inches above bra strap, the growth slowed to almost a halt.

I am not complaining because I have no breakage and my hair is THICK and healthty. I have also noticed that my hair is healthy in the summer, but combating dryness in the winter is a serious batter. Although my hair is healthy, it doesn't have any sheen. I hope that this butter method can help me.

Sorry so long and I better get back to work before the boss comes back from lunch.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Default Re: Unsalted butter on hair?

Yes its called Ghee clarified butter. my friend from Cameron also uses this I think they use this all over Africa. My friend told me it was good for hair growth but it stinks. I tried a while ago its okay I was to impatient to wait and see the results it is high in protein also.

CICI
Old 07-23-2003, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)

this sounds interesting. definitely let us know how it goes. and you might want to take before, progress and after shots so you will know whether it also helped with the sheen issue.

good luck!
Old 07-23-2003, 05:52 PM

Thanked 2,143 Times in 880 Posts
Mentioned: 395 Post(s)
Tagged: 11 Thread(s)

I haven't heard of using unsalted butter alone, but, in Naturally Beautiful by Dawn Gallagher, there are recipes for hair conditioning treatments by Phillip Kinglsey which call for the use of unsalted butter.

Please keep us updated as to how it goes for you. Thaks for sharing!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to daviine For This Useful Post:
ElegantExotic (04-08-2013)
Old 07-23-2003, 05:52 PM
surfer girl

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations, Nijilah on reaching brastrap!

Cici24, I too can recall conversations about ghee clarified butter. I have also heard women from India say that they use it for the same purpose as Nijilah's Eritrean friend. My mom told me though that it stinks to high heaven so I, despite my pjism, have not yet had the motivation to try it.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:56 PM

I am going to look up that ghee clarified butter. Hopefully, I won't be able to find any near me because I have a real pj problem. I will definitely start with just the unsalted butter because it's cheap!
Old 07-23-2003, 08:31 PM
With Love & Silk

Thanked 16,271 Times in 3,343 Posts
Mentioned: 1071 Post(s)
Tagged: 107 Thread(s)

Nijilah,

I'm sure that the unsalted butter will smell much better too! So is this supposed to be done EVERY night? Wow! I bet some cool hair recipes could be made out of that too...
Old 07-23-2003, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the congratulations for reaching bra strap. It did take some careful hair care, because my hair is so dry in the winter.

I have decided that I will do this every other night. On the opposing night, I will just massage my hair with warm seseme or olive oil and conditioner wash the oil out in the morning.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I think I saw Ghee clarified butter at Trader Joes. I don't know if they have one where you live. Good luck though, sounds interesting
Old 07-23-2003, 10:38 PM

In a book I was reading that occurred in the 1800s a black guy used fresh butter on his hair for managibility.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Congratulations on reaching bra-strap length!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Jade~
Old 07-23-2003, 10:52 PM

I found a recipe for making Ghee Clarified Butter... surprisingly it's quite simple.

http://herbsforhealth.about.com/c/ht...0963923213.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Sade7 For This Useful Post:
Jace032000 (01-10-2014)
Old 07-23-2003, 10:59 PM
Member, Dumbledore's Army

Make it yourself???

Restaurants buy it as "clarified butter". It is butter with all of the water and solids removed. Ghee will not scorch or burn and can be cooked at higher temperatures than any oil.

How to Make Ghee (clarified butter)

Ghee is 100% butter fat which is used in many oil therapies, healthy cooking and herb combinations. Ghee is salt and lactose free with 14 grams of fat per tablespoon.
Difficulty Level: Average Time Required: 1 hour 30 minutes

Here's How:
1. Melt 2 pounds of organic, unsalted butter at a very low heat.
2. Once melted, slightly increase the heat.
3. Decrease slightly if it starts to smoke or show signs of scorch. Do not let it burn.
4. Remain at this point for approximately an hour checking often but not disturbing it.
5. You will notice milk solids sinking, and foam at the top. Do not disturb this foam.
6. After an hour, let it cool approximately 15 minutes.
7. Carefully skim any remaining foam or floating substances off the top.
8. Filter the remaining clear liquid into a clean white jar. You may use cheesecloth, coffee filter or paper towel as a filter.
9. Cover and store in a cool place.
10. Use with moderation since it is 100% butterfat.

Tips:
1. Do not let it burn. Monitor the process until you get the hang of it. If you see or smell smoke or notice ripples on the surface, turn the heat down.
2. Avoid stirring while the solids are separating.
3. Use wisely, it can increase your risk of coronary artery disease.
4. Your finished product will have a rich golden color and buttery aroma. It will solidify but will not be hard.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the congrats Jade. I really need to start taking pictures of my hair so that I can really chart my progress. At the DC gathering, I had in kinky twists, but no one on the board has seen my natural hair. In a few weeks when I return from this horrible business trip, I am really going to try to put together an albulm.

Thanks everyone for the recipes!

I actually went to the grocery store last to buy the unsalted butter and a stack of the ghee clarified butter was on a rack right acrooss from the butter/milk/egg section! The ghee clarified butter was about $9 and the unsalted butter was like $2, and I bought the ghee (pj..pj..pj)

I put the butter on my dry hair, wrapped my hair in a plastic bag, and went to bed. In the morning, I washed my scalp with breakthru shampoo, applied ao swimmers shampoo to my hair, and then rinsed with almost cold water. Then, I applied kemi-oyl to my hair and up in a bun it went (with my cute wavy phonytail). My hair feels very soft.

Thus far, 1 treatment, excellent results.

Oh yeah, after I finish this jar of the ghee, I am going to make the ghee butter using the recipes. It is cheaper and I am about to go from working full-time to full-time graduate student so I need to get used to 'lack of funds.'
Old 07-24-2003, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

I think you could also buy ghee from and Indian/asian food stores, that it was they use for cooking.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:58 PM

See, you're gonna have me smearing some butter on my hair in a minute...

How stiff is the ghee butter? Hard like sticks of regular butter, or softer like margarine? It doesn't "run" like syrup or conditioner, does it?

Is it sold in sticks, or in a little tub?

Does viscosity get in the way of putting it in your hair? Do ya have to melt it down before you can smear it on?

Is there still a smell, or has the technology advanced?
Old 07-24-2003, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)

Ghee actually works well - I use it after henna treatments. I get it from the Indian mart and I have even found in some Kroger stores that have foreign food aisles. It comes in a glass jar and is more expensive than regular butter. I keep it refrigerated and when I use it I boil water and place the jar in in the water to soften it. I cannot explain the smell....sorry, it's different.

Nina
Old 08-26-2003, 05:59 PM
Member, Dumbledore's Army

Bumping for an update from nijilah.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:41 AM
ballet_bun

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Has anyone been using this for a while now? If so, what are the results?

Ballet Bun ...
Old 06-01-2004, 02:51 AM
Mixologist

I'm bumping this up from the dead, I think I saw something like this in the Indian grocery store called "cow ghee", it looked really disgusting, can someone please confirm if this is the same stuff...