Wet hair that dries quickly may need more moisture

Spagirl

Re: Wet hair that dries quickly may need more mois

[ QUOTE ]
Tee Tee said:
I think the statement made from my best friends hairdresser is based on more extreme cases not the obvious variables..........

.......We have to keep in mind that this pertains to more extreme situations......

....Nothing is ever definitive other than hair needs moisture.
Tee Tee

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA!

Jubilee

Hair that is porus dries a lot quicker than less porus types.

Caramell_sve

Can anyone give me suggestions from other brands for controling porous hair aside from Revlon Porosity Control. I doubt i will ever find RevlonPC in Sweden. I would really appreciated

moneychaser

[ QUOTE ]
Jubilee said:
Hair that is porus dries a lot quicker than less porus types.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I have been told.

ChasingBliss

Well my hair takes about a day and a half to dry but my hairline is always dry almost immediately and I keep it very moisturized. I always thought it was because the temple area is the hotter reigon of the head...They even say that you should relax the frontal area last (I dont relax that area at all anymore), because the natural heat from your head in this area will speed up the relaxer process. Maybe I should have asked does the hairline count as some of you may already know this info

Karonica

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
It might be true that hair that dries quickly needs more moisture, but I think it also has to do with whether your hair is thin or thick, too. If someone's hair is thin, it's going to dry faster, no matter how much moisture it has in it!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right. My thin ends used to dry in five seconds, whereas the rest of my hair would take years to become totally dry.

ms_kenesha

The rule of thumb is if your hair is air-drying faster than it used to then your hair is more likely to be damaged and need more moisture.

I, too have porous hair, but I think it's because of my having a relaxer (not sure about that though, since I don't know much about my natural hair) my ends dry much faster than the roots because they are the oldest/driest/and prob. most processed parts of my hair.

Karonica

Exactly. My ends are waaaay overprocessed from me trying to correct underprocessed parts, which never processed and has yet to process to the point it's not underpocessed or overprocessed.

soslychic

This is an a parragraph from the book, "Let's Talk Hair."

Porosity: is the hair strands ability to absorb moisture and water. Good porosity is recognized by hair that wets easily and consistently. If the hair does not wet easily, it is resistant to water and has poor porosity. Hair that wets quickly and absorbs too much water is over-porous. Tinted, bleached, and chemically over-processed hair is typically over-porous.
~~

Now I don't know about conditioners to correct things and suck, but I've always thought that these are just natural characteristics that depend on what you were born with. I don't thiink it neccesarily has to do with in what condition your hair is in. Parts of my new growth are cottony and absorb water easily and stay wet for a moderate amount of time. And there are other parts that are spongy and does not absorb water easily and dries VERY quicky. These are the parts that I have to constantly wet while rollersetting. I give both parts an equal amount of moisture. They are different because of natural characteristics. The relaxed portion of my hair always absorbs water quickly and stays wet for a while because it is processed and probably over porous.

ms_kenesha

Soslychic,

I think everyone is born with good porosity, but chemical processes are what makes the hair over-porous which is actually what I meant when I said my hair was porous. Therefor it does have to do with the condition your hair is in, processed/over-processed hair is usu. over-porous and therefor dries very quickly.

moneychaser

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
Soslychic,

I think everyone is born with good porosity, but chemical processes are what makes the hair over-porous which is actually what I meant when I said my hair was porous. Therefor it does have to do with the condition your hair is in, processed/over-processed hair is usu. over-porous and therefor dries very quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. My hair that is permanently colored dries MUCH faster than my roots that I haven't colored yet.

soslychic

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
Soslychic,

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it is chemical processing that makes hair over porous, but as far as "under porous" I believe that is something that can happen naturally depending on hair texture. Like I saidk most of my hair(natural hair, not processed) does have good porosity, but there are spongy parts that are a different texture and it is because of the texture difference that they tend to not be porous enough so to speak and do not absorb as much water. These are parts of my new growth that is only about 2 inches long and has not had time to get damaged with my loving care
It is simply a different texture with a different porous status.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
soslychic said:
[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
Soslychic,

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it is chemical processing that makes hair over porous, but as far as "under porous" I believe that is something that can happen naturally depending on hair texture. Like I saidk most of my hair(natural hair, not processed) does have good porosity, but there are spongy parts that are a different texture and it is because of the texture difference that they tend to not be porous enough so to speak and do not absorb as much water. These are parts of my new growth that is only about 2 inches long and has not had time to get damaged with my loving care
It is simply a different texture with a different porous status.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh okay, I get it now.

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]
kjames001 said:
does this apply to natural hair as well?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it applies wether you hair is natural or relaxed. My hair took longer to dry when it was natural...it still takes long to dry now that's it's texturized...but not as long as when I was natural. It definitley takes longer <font color="red">either</font> way since I learned how to care for it. My hair dried so quickly years ago...I didn't realize then that it was because it was dry and damaged. Now I prefer it stay damp all day...

CaramelKiss

Good thread and I agree it all depends on many many factors. My hair dries longer in winter (as everyone else's) my bangs are the first to dry (as with most folks) the back takes the longest (again, as with most folks) but ironically, it is the front and the sides of my hair, which is the softest parts of my hair, which dries the quickest. The back of my hair, which takes the longest is the driest part of my hair and which alwasy needs extra moisturizing. Go figure!!

lunalight7

This all makes sense re: porosity of hair: When I go to the salon, my stylist puts bleach/foil highlights on folks w/ 1a and 2a hair (if there are such things). He sits them in a corner for like half and hour. When he does mine, by the time he's put the bleach in the last one, the first has lifted to blonde and we're both running to the sink. He always said that it was because I had a relaxer and therefore, my hair was so porous, that my hair just sucked up the bleach.

godzooki

I feel better because I usually complain how my hair is still damp when I go out the next day from washing it the night before (usually because it's freezing outside and I get a cold scalp!) I do prefer my hair to be damp and soft though on normal days and as a result, I'm a spritz fanatic. I spritz 2-3 times a day!

moneychaser

YAY, So this means my hair is healthier, because I had to sit under the dry for 2 hours this weekend at the hair salon :mad: :grin:

godzooki said:
I feel better because I usually complain how my hair is still damp when I go out the next day from washing it the night before (usually because it's freezing outside and I get a cold scalp!) I do prefer my hair to be damp and soft though on normal days and as a result, I'm a spritz fanatic. I spritz 2-3 times a day!

It seems like that's a quick way to catch a cold. :ohwell:

MissYocairis

Tee Tee2 said:
It means your hair is dry!!!!Has anyone every heard this? My best friend said she was told by her hairdresser that the reason why her bra strap length hair dries so quickly when she washes it is because her hair is dry and in need of serious moisture. When she washes her hair she said its almost dry within an hour. Her ends are very dry and brittle even though she never uses heat in her hair and she washes twice a week. The hairdresser went on to say that hair that takes long to dry is in a very healthy moisturized state. My hair takes about 1-2 days to air dry completely. I advised her to start doing deep conditioning treatments because she has never done one.

Tee Tee

Wow. That would explain a lot. My hair will be completely dry and brittle in just over an hour after washing. If I'm doing a rollerset even, I have to respray the back of my hair when I start rolling in the front because the back is nearly dry. So, my hair is thirsty huh? I do deep conditions all the time. What am I doing wrong??? :confused:

Dolapo

Woah....my hair is dry in like 45 minutes and the ends might be a little damp. I always thought this was because i dont have a lot of hair....as in its fine and thin. My hair has always dried really fast as long as i can remember......i dont think my hair is porous......I hope....