Best Hair Dye for getting JET BLACK HAIR?

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
Today, I found out that my hair is a dark brown when I've been through life thinking it was BLACK. :sad:

I want a dye that will get me jet black hair with the least damage but a good potent colour. Any recommendations? I'm going to be doing it at home.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I used Ion Demi Permanent Creme from Sally's. You have to buy everything separately though.

Bun Mistress

indigo is FOREVER but is great for that jet black (you can mix it with henna if you want for extra conditioning). But make sure you are ok with black, I dye black once (semi) and had to grow it out. I tried to dye over it but it was a fail. I had to dye it back black and then grow it out.

30something

Begin Oriental black. I dyed it jet black after my hair started to turn brownish from black tea rinse, my hair is actually naturally jet black. It felt like a rinse because it didn't seem to be damaging or drying. You probably need more then one box tho

MizzBrown

I just started using KISS brand in blue black. I like it.

My hair also looks dingy black/brown and I have to dye it jet black or blue black to really cover it.

hot2def

I haven't tried it yet because I can't find it but I hear Dudley's Fantastic colors in black is awesome. Makes the shair shiny and conditions at the same time.

ManeStreet

garnier has some good ones & the conditioner packet that comes in the box is the bomb

Last edited:

outspokenwallflower

Semi permanent: Alter Ego Egocolor or Direct Color & Shine

Demi Permanent: Redken Shades EQ/Shades EQ Cream or Natural Instincts

Permanent: Textures & Tones

kandegirl

I using the Color Showers Dominican hair color in Negro (Black). All natural! I've had other people tell me my hair looks really black but it me it never does. But I'll be sticking w/ this until they stop making it. And Bigen is another good one to turn it jet black.

PlainJane

Bumping for more responses.

I used redken eq last time, but I want to know of more. It bled when I washed my hair for so many weeks and always turned my nails dark. Is this something that will happen with all demis?

I'm transitioning so I'm not sure how well the color will take but I miss my jet black hair and want to dye it some time this month!

I keep seeing posts about blue black dye. Is that darker than jet black or what's the difference?

felic1

Bumping for more responses.

I used redken eq last time, but I want to know of more. It bled when I washed my hair for so many weeks and always turned my nails dark. Is this something that will happen with all demis?

I'm transitioning so I'm not sure how well the color will take but I miss my jet black hair and want to dye it some time this month!

I keep seeing posts about blue black dye. Is that darker than jet black or what's the difference?

PlainJane Did you use the gloves? Maybe you need some nitrile gloves. Just saying. No disrespect intended.

PlainJane

PlainJane Did you use the gloves? Maybe you need some nitrile gloves. Just saying. No disrespect intended.
It bled every week I washed my hair for almost two months. I used gloves shampooing even tho I hate it but then I couldn't apply conditioner and leave in with the gloves on and that turned my nails dark too.

atlien11

Another vote for Bigen :yep:

If you ever plan on lightening your hair again, not a good idea to use this. Its pretty permanent.

Britt

Another vote for Bigen :yep:

If you ever plan on lightening your hair again, not a good idea to use this. Its pretty permanent.

I'm thinking of opting for this to cover the few grays I have sprinkled at the front of my head. Either this or a semi permanent. I know bigen it pretty permanent.

PlainJane

Another vote for Bigen :yep: If you ever plan on lightening your hair again, not a good idea to use this. Its pretty permanent.
Permanent is good! I would like to go lighter but dying my hair black won't give me that option which is a good thing because my hair doesn't do well with bleach.

PapillionRouge

I using the Color Showers Dominican hair color in Negro (Black). All natural! I've had other people tell me my hair looks really black but it me it never does. But I'll be sticking w/ this until they stop making it. And Bigen is another good one to turn it jet black.

I wanted to love this. Even repurchased after they fixed their bad batch situation. It still left my scalp green, bled and washed out in a short period of time. I'm going back to Bigen...