Jet black hair dye recommendations

Hey,

I just recently dyed my hair jet black with Bigen but after doing coloring my hair I did the research (I'm silly) and I read of terrible allergic reactions because of its active ingredient PPD. Here's a link to the reviews for those considering the product. [http://www.folica.com/Bigen_Permanent_r1246_1.html]

Anyways, I am very weary about doing a retouch with this product so I would love to know of any Jet Black dye that causes minimal damage to the hair, or like Bigen only deposit colors and no I'm not interesting in semi-permanent or rinses. I co-wash too frequently for me to enjoy the color.

Thank you in advance for answers!!:grin:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Have You ever Considered Henna/Indigo? Natural. Safe. Plant Based. Perfect, shiny, beautiful black results. It is all Natural and a Safe Alternative to Chemically Based Hair Color. It is definitely worth consideration and a little research.

I use it and have been extremely pleased with the results.

Have You ever Considered Henna/Indigo? Natural. Safe. Plant Based. Perfect, shiny, beautiful black results. It is all Natural and a Safe Alternative to Chemically Based Hair Color. It is definitely worth consideration and a little research.

I use it and have been extremely pleased with the results.

Is it a permanent color? Also where could I purchase some?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Yes, it is Permanent. And it will have to grow out. I suggest you Research it First, so you'll know exactly what you'll be committing to. Search the Henna/Indigo Threads here and read up on it to see if it is for You. It may or may not be for you.

For me personally, it has been a Great Alternative to Bottled Color. I was using Clariol Beautiful Browns Collection (semi permanent). And the re-application and probably damage from bottled color was getting to be too much. I haven't had to use Henna/Indigo as often, although I could especially for the Beneficial Conditioning Properties of Henna.

There are a variety of places to purchase Henna/Indigo. From a Local Indian Grocer to several Online Sites. I purchase mine from Mehandi.com and I use the one for Relaxed, Chemically Treated, African American Hair. Both Henna and Indigo are sold separately and with long term use helps to strengthen your hair.:yep:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Wait henna is Permanent? I though it washes out after a while:ohwell:

Yep. Once you "stain" your Hair w/Henna, you have to let it grow out b4 you apply any other type of color.:yep:

The Indigo will gradually wash away. However, both last a long time.

MizzBrown

Yeah, but is Indigo Henna gonna be JET Black??

How long does that stuff need to sit on your hair for the color to deposit in Jet black?

I've heard with henna, if the measurements aren't right, the color payoff can be hit or miss.

I dont want to have to do 3 henna treatments just to get my desired dark color.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Yeah, but is Indigo Henna gonna be JET Black??

How long does that stuff need to sit on your hair for the color to deposit in Jet black?

I've heard with henna, if the measurements aren't right, the color payoff can be hit or miss.

I dont want to have to do 3 henna treatments just to get my desired dark color.

You won't. You'll only have to do the Henna Once and it will grow out from the Roots. You have to use less Henna and More Indigo to get Jet Black or Blue Black Ultra Shiny Lusturous Hair. The time for Henna varies, the Indigo you let sit for about an Hour, although Color will deposit sooner.

I have a Considerable amount of Grey, and I wanted it totally covered. Henna/Indigo Did exactly that and I am extremely pleased with the results. I used about 1/3 Henna and 1/2 Indigo. The Shine. The Bling. The Overall Health and Strength that the Henna gives is Fantastic. And none of that Dull Overcast of Bottled Color where you have to apply some sort of Product to give it "Sheen" the Sheen from Henna/Indigo is 100% Natural Shine.:yep:

All right but will the color wash out like a semi-permanent color or a rinse? If so, not exactly what I'm lookin for...

Also you also said that you use less henna then indingo...so that means when you first put the first application of henna you put less then the second application of indingo?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
All right but will the color wash out like a semi-permanent color or a rinse? If so, not exactly what I'm lookin for...

Also you also said that you use less henna then indingo...so that means when you first put the first application of henna you put less then the second application of indingo?

Yes. To get Black Hair you have to do a 2-Step Process of Henna First then Indigo. And yes, you will have to reapply the Indigo, but not Nearly as often as with the Bigen or anyother type of Hair Color (at least I haven't).

There is alot of stuff out here about the process which would be worth a read.

pinkchocolatedaisy

OP you should really check out www.hennaforhair.com. There is a lot of info on there about henna/indigo. And as IDareT'sHair has stated, henna is a much more beneficial alternative to chemical color. Mehandi.com is a good site to purchase from. I have been doing a lot of research about henna too! (well I'm more intersted in amla).

Just wanted to add an FYI that I've read that henna can loosen your curl pattern. Idk if you're relaxed/natural but this may be something else for you to think about.

I know there are a lot of threads on this board about hennaing so you might want to do a search. ONe of them was titled "do y'all henna?" or something to that effect.

hth and good luck!

myronnie

Henna and Indigo works everytime :) And yes it's very permanent. Only thing though, it's kind of hard to get your roots and to spread the indigo paste.

collegeDoll

any pics of the jet black color? i never knew henna got that dark lol.

sorry OP i want jet black hair too and Bigen rinses out kinda fast cuz i cowash frequently so we're looking for the same thing