My stylist cut my hair! *crying*

SparklingFlame

This happens to me too. My stylist is like a second mother to me. She's been doing my hair since 2001. I love her, but she hates doing my and her daughter's hair cuz both of us have long thick hair. And she ALLLWAYS cuts too much hair off. I think she does that so she wont have to deal with so much hair. Thats why I wanted to start going to her every five or six months and get a trim every other visit. Get this!!! She hates doing my hair so much until she said that I can only get a straw set once a year. Other than that I can only get twist sets, and rollersets.
Well if she hates doing your hair so much I would just oblige her and she wouldnt be doing my hair at all. And how she gonna tell you you can only get twist sets, and rollersets? People got some nerve I tell ya.

Lady Esquire

SerenityBreeze told me about "Cutting and Trimming Hair for Dummies". Cop that book!

Website How To's:

The Straight Across Trim:

This produces ends that are cut straight-across.
http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/2389.html#cutid1 (with pics)

Step 1

Start with combing your hair as straight as possible, removing every tangle. Comb the hair back and put it in a low ponytail. Hold your head straight. Pull the scrunchie as far down your ponytail as possible, and as close to the body as possible too. When you can't reach anymore, try to grab the scrunchie from behind your back instead. Pull it all the way down to the end of the ponytail. Maybe you'll need someone to help you with this.

Be careful to pull the scrunchie down in a strictly vertical manner. It's so easy to end up with hair a little shorter on one side
and longer on the other, just because the scrunchie was pulled a little to the left or the right. You might want someone to help you with this.
Now, bring the scrunchie at the end of the ponytail forward, over one of your sholders. Get hold of the scrunchie (be careful not to pull any strands while doing this!!) and trim the tip of the ponytail off. If your hair is too short to reach, you can ask someone else to trim the tip off. You can redo this step a couple of times to make sure that it's even and that you haven't missed any hair strands.

Step 2 (optional)

Part your hair (like when making two braids) and bring the hair forward. Hold your head straight, and trim 1/4 inch off the ends, just to even it up.
I prefer the first grip, it holds the ends firmly.

When you're done, your straight-across cut will look something like this:

The V-Shaped Trim:
http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/2156.html#cutid1 (with pics)

Step 1

Start with combing your hair as straight as possible, removing every tangle. Part your hair in the middle, all the way down to the back of the head. Then bring the two sides of hair forward.
Step 2

Comb each side carefully until every hair strand seems to be lying in the right direction. Hold your head up as straight as possible while doing this.

Concentrate on one side of the hair at a time. You can use a scrunchie to hold the other one in place while you trim. Comb the un-scrunched side while still tilted back. Grab the ends of your hair with one hand (using your index and middle finger). Hold the scissors with the other.

When you have a firm hold you can look down on your hair again. Bring the ends up and carefully trim off as much as desired.

Note: Holding your head up straight while trimming will give you a 'medium' V-shape. For a slighter V, tilt your head back instead. For a deeper V, tilt your head forward. You might want to experiment with this to find the perfect shape for you.

Trim both sides of hair this way, and try to make them as even as possible. You don't want to end up with hair that is shorter on one side.

When you're done you should have hair that is V-shaped when brushed back.

Step 3 (For perfectionists, not necessary to do ;)

Finally you can bring all hair forward to one side, and then comb it. You do this to make sure that you haven't missed any strands (this might happen if your part isn't exactly in the middle of your head). Snip off all strands that are longer than the rest of the hair, and make sure that it's even. Do this with the other side too. Comb a couple of times from side to side if you're uncertain that it's really even.

The U-Shaped Trim:

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/1827.html#cutid1 (with pics)

Step 1

Start with combing your hair as straight as possible, removing every tangle. Part your hair in the middle, all the way down to the back of
the head. Then bring the two sides of hair forward.

Step 2

Comb each side carefully until every hair strand seems to be lying in the right direction. When you're done, tilt your head back as
far as comfortable and then comb some more. You'll feel very silly doing this, and you'll look silly too. But just try to ignore that for
a while ;)

Concentrate on one side of the hair at a time. You can use a scrunchie to hold the other one in place while you trim. Comb the
un-scrunched side while still tilted back. Grab the ends of your hair with one hand (using your index and middle finger). Hold the scissors
with the other.

When you have a firm hold you can look down on your hair again. Bring the ends up and carefully trim off as much as desired.

Note: For a deeper U-shape, hold your head straight up, or tilt it forward instead.

Step 3

When you're done you should have hair that is slightly V-shaped when brushed back. To remove the V and replace it with a U you need to
comb the hair back and put it in a low ponytail. Hold your head straight (no tilting this time). Pull the scrunchie as far down your ponytail as possible, and as close to the body as possible too. When you can't reach anymore, try to grab the scrunchie from behind your back instead. Pull it all the way down to the end of the ponytail. Maybe you'll need someone to help you with this.

(Update: I'm now tilting my head forward instead of holding it straight up. This produces even better results.)

Now, bring the scrunchie at the end of the ponytail forward, over one of your sholders. Get hold of the scrunchie (be careful not to
pull any strands while doing this!!) and trim the tip of the ponytail off (this removes the V). If your hair is too short to reach, you can
ask someone else to trim the tip off. Comb the hair back again and make sure that you're satisfied. If you've still got a V you'll have to
ponytail your hair again and trim more of the tip off.

Step 4 (for perfectionists, not necessary to do, but highly recommended!)

If you're a perfectionist like I am, then part your hair and comb the two sides forward again, while holding your head up straight
(no tilting). You will notice that your ends are a bit uneven, so just even them up (1/4 of an inch or so).

Step 5 (also for perfectionists ;)

Finally you can bring all hair forward to one side, and then comb it. You do this to make sure that you haven't missed any strands
(this might happen if your part isn't exactly in the middle of your head). Snip off all strands that are longer than the rest of the hair,
and make sure that it's even. Do this with the other side too.

Last edited:

lovelychar

Ohhh Kay Im sure I put up a post response but its not here?!?!?!? NOt sure whats the deal with that and I sure had a lot to say. And feel some type a way about that. But in a nut shell so sorry girl to hear about that incedent with your stylist.

Ladie Esquire. great post in trimming. Will be taking note. Its so hard to self trim once you get to a certain lenght.

JsBecca

What's this about split ends traveling? I've never had that happen.
I haven't had a hair cut or trim in 4 years. My ends are not too shabby.

Platinum

(Sending you a big hug) I'm sorry to hear about this. But, I agree with the Ladies, it will grow back. Believe me, I've been in the same boat. Sometimes, I feel that stylists are "hell bent" on wacking off your hair; especially if the client has a great length. I went to a stylist in Nov '07 to get a weave (I was getting married in a few days). She made the comment that my hair was damaged (I agree, it was) and I should get it trimmed before I get the install. I asked how much length, she shows me, using her fingers. What she showed me was not a trim but a wack job; meaning if I let her do her "magic", I would end up with something just a little longer than a Fantasia cut!

No Ma'am! I got the install only. When I removed the weave, I used Aphogee treatment with a DC and trimmed my own ends. Now, I'm keeping it braiding for atleast 6 months to a year to give it a rest from chemicals.

Crystalicequeen123

Thanks again for all the encouragement guys! :bighug:

I just have to continue to try to grow my hair out and protect my ends more.

I admit, I don't really protect my ends as much as I should... so... if I keep my ends moisturized I don't think my hair will need as many trims. :)