*CRYING* The weave damaged my hair!!

Crystalicequeen123

Thank you all so much for your input and encouragement.

Maybe I jumped the gun a bit. Maybe I should hold out on just cutting my hair off. But I really don't see the use in keeping this lifeless, thin, whispy hair that I have now. :( My hair wasn't the thickest to begin with, and now I feel like all of my hard work to get it thicker and full has gone down the drain. :nono:

I'm even contemplating on switching to maybe a mild relaxer so that my hair can thicken up some. It did pretty well on my hair before, so who knows?? Maybe it will be okay this time too.

*sigh* You ladies have given me some hope. Afterall, it's just hair. It WILL grow back. Even though this is the WORST my hair has ever looked... (even my hair in my old fotki album online didn't look as thin as it does now) you guys have given me hope that I CAN get over this and grow my hair back. :)

Thanks...

metro_qt

i know your testimony was for the OP, but i tears welled up in my eyes after i read this! i had a horrible similar experience with a weave (which led me to lhcf), and i had quite a few bald spots in my head...the spots are filled in, some are about 3.5 to 4'' long now, 8 months later...the rest of my hair is in much better shape than it was in december, and i'm hoping by december of this year that my broken off parts are 6'' long stretched/flat ironed, and the majority of my hair is at APL...i too will be using a combo of MN and BT to grow out my hair, and i hope the prolonged california summer encourages some extra growth...

so just know that you've helped me and the OP with your post, metro! luv ya! :kiss:

Awwww that's sooo sweet....
just for that, i'm going to link a progress pic of the condition my hair was in in April- 10 months after the whole bald spots incidents...

Op, I hope everything works out for you :yep:

godsflowerrr

I'm so sorry that this happened to you!:nono: i want to let you know that we all go through hair "set backs" at one time or another. i have been so discouraged at times and wanted to quit my hair care journey. I have had to cut off inches at a time due to hair set backs. when i had my last major one i started to rollerset my hair weekly. it made a big difference. I wore weaves a whole lot before i was relaxed and my hair tolerated it well but after i started to relax my hair, it became too fragile for the weave. the last time i had a weave my hair thinned out soooooooooo bad and I made a promise to myself that i wouldn't wear one again. I would suggest roller setting and you will see a big difference within a few months.....STAY ENCOURAGED GURL.....believe me ..i know how u feel:sad:

zoya_j

It looks to me like your hair has just gained length and since it wasn't really thick to began with it looks thinner, also it looks like you have a lot of NG and lots of NG makes the hair fall funny and make it appear thinner than it really is.

Not sure when your going to relax again, but I would just start DC and doing treatments more often and wait until after relaxing to see how full it really is.

I agree you have alot of NG right now, I just took my sew in out last week and I'm in the babying period until I'm able to relax it. I got alot of growth too(the middle of my hair is just one big puff that will not lay down) and I felt the same as you did that my ends were thin. My scalp was sore too. Just continue to dc and baby your ends until it is time for your touch up.

curlyj

Don't cut!
Here's what I suggest. Create a regimen that incorporates frequent washes- with each wash cleanse, protein conditoner, followed by moisturizing conditioner followed by sealing your ends.

I did this for a year and not only turned my fine hair into(well maybe not thick) but what looks like thick hair.

I did dusting every 3 months. I went through my hair and really looked for split ends and only cut those.

The next year I discovered wigs...I knew my hair couldnt take a weave and worried about not being able to see my hair and monitor what was going on. If wigs weird you out buns. I suggest doing a personal challenge for at least 3 months. I did it and gained almost 2inches at the start of my journey. I knew then that my hair needed protection. You can turn your hair around with a lot of TLC. Looks at the ladies on this board-there are some amazing b4 and after stories. Though my hair didnt look dmaged it was completely dried out and lifeless from the color.

sorry so long- PM me if you'd like
Good growing! Your hair will be back to normal in no time.:yep:

sweetgal

I'm soo sorry this happened to you. Just like some of the other members said-Do not cut your hair when you are upset. Do you need a relaxer? Sometimes the ends can look extra bad it's time for another relaxer. Mine ends fool me all the time. Also you made need to just trim the ends a little and go from there. Your hair will get back on track. Do alot of roller sets ect :yep:

nissi

i got a weave for the first time for my birthday in june, kept it in a couple of weeks into july (too itchy! hated it even though it was fly!) and voila, when i took it out the chick had popped some of my hair off while braiding it. just straight up broken off pieces, just popped off! i was so shocked and disappointed. oh well, no need crying over spilled milk...so i moved on!

but then while i took the weave out my hair did some crazy awful shedding with the base hair she used even as i removed it. i would have never trusted a stylist to take it out for me, even though it was PURE HELL doing it myself -- weaves, NEVER NEVA again!!! unless i do it myself.

so like everyone said i went into straight protective mode and started doing wash and goes for the summer, with aubrey's gpb and motions cpr protein treatment (really good stuff!). my hair has bounced back and i am now satisfied, even though i still see the damage. but i definitely wouldn't cut the hair until you can see where it really is after the braids and that could take weeks!

so be patient, take care of your hair and enjoy it! it's only hair, and from what i see, you can still bounce back. i would never mess with a weave again though, unless i did it! cornrows and permed hair are not a good combination IMHO! HHG!

bravenewgirl87

Its not as bad as you think it is. Just go hardcore on your regimine and buy yourself some Lenzi's Request. Keep bunning or doing protective styles. Next time, get up out of that chair if you don't think she's doing the right thing.

Crystalicequeen123

Thanks so much ladies for the encouragement. I think I will take your advice and just hold off on doing a big chop. Maybe a little trim and a touch-up will do some good. I won't be getting another touch-up for two more weeks (13 weeks post), but in the meantime I think I'll load up on the CO-washes, and conditioners. I may even try a clarifying shampoo so that I know that the moisturizing conditioner is REALLY getting through to the shaft of my hair.

ayoung

Thanks so much ladies for the encouragement. I think I will take your advice and just hold off on doing a big chop. Maybe a little trim and a touch-up will do some good. I won't be getting another touch-up for two more weeks (13 weeks post), but in the meantime I think I'll load up on the CO-washes, and conditioners. I may even try a clarifying shampoo so that I know that the moisturizing conditioner is REALLY getting through to the shaft of my hair.

ITA! Baby it until ur touch up and then go from there.
I also agree that it will prob. look better after the touch up b/c
u just took out braids and also b/c u are so many weeks along w/ new growth!

Keep us posted on what happens after ur touch up plz:yep: