STYLIST CUT ALL MY HAIR OFF

atlantatiffany

i know this post has been made before but it happened to me yesterday and i am so upset. i have been going to this stylist for a year and a half and for some reason he decides to cut my hair off. i have been a member of this board and i have been going my hair out. my hair was 2inches above my bar strap. since i haven't had a relaxer in 4 months i believe it was now touching my bar strap. the stylist cut my hair to my shoulders. can u believe it? all my growing and everything just gone down the tubes. if this has happened to any of u women please help. i just want to know what i should say to him. i did talk to him and he told me it needed to be cut because it was healthier this way. which i know is not true, because i wear protective styles daily. i know it's just hair, but i just feel i wasted a complete year of all my progress. if any of u ladies can recommend a stylist in atlanta that is not scissor happy that would help too. tiffany

debyjay

I am so sorry for you girlie and I truly mean that, for some reason it bothers me no end when this happens. Now I don't even know you and I'm furious! Maybe I'm PMSing. My co-worker's stylist cut off all her shoulder length hair Saturday. She came to work Monday with exactly 3 inches of very straight hair. She is a nice christian lady so I did my good deed for the day on Monday -- I cursed out the stylist for her. Now I know this does not help you but just know that I did it for all victims of SHS.

Atlanta ladies please help atlantatiffany out.

atlantatiffany

thanks u it really does help. i am so upset that i don't know what i should do. i guess first find another stylist and start from the drawing board again.

naomi

good skin and hair
Wow..........I had a dream about that last night. I went to my usual hairdresser and she cut my hair way above my shoulders. I remember crying hysterically and mortified. But thank goodness I woke up and realized it was just a dream. But it felt so real.

But this did happen to me in a real life a few years ago. I asked for a trim, but instead she gave me chop. And I didnt realize it until I got home and unwrapped my hair. I was so devastated.

naomi

good skin and hair
Wow..........I had a dream about that last night. I went to my usual hairdresser and she cut my hair way above my shoulders. I remember crying hysterically and mortified. But thank goodness I woke up and realized it was just a dream. But it felt so real.

But this did happen to me in a real life a few years ago. I asked for a trim, but instead she gave me chop. And I didnt realize it until I got home and unwrapped my hair. I was so devastated.

NGC

Man,

I'm sorry to here this. I'm in the ATL. Find another stylist, quick , fast, and in a hurry. If you need a recommendation and are willing to come to Decatur, PM me. I can highly recommend my SIL's stylist. She's been going to her for years and years.

atlantatiffany

actually i did see him cutting my hair but my hair was long i didn't see how short he was cutting it. i thought he as just doing a trim. he has given me a relaxer 5 times. so i really didn't think much about it.

ngc how do i pm u?

Chyna Red

That's what I was wondering Red. When I used to go to the salon and wanted a trim...I told them to cut just a little and after the first snip I wanted to see how much they cut...my hands were touching it and making sure that they did what I said...I can't see going in for a trim on brastrap length hair and coming out with shoulder length hair.. You are paying your money to get what you want done...When it comes to your hair..you can't afford to be timid and just let the stylist take control <unless you trust them implicitly..>..otherwise you're liable to come out with all kinds of jacked up haircuts and do's.

T

Tee

This has happened to me! I do not understand why some of these stylists do this! These days I ALWAYS make the stylist show me how much she is going to cut before she starts cutting. Find another stylist ASAP.

Angelicus

No, i can't even recommend a stylist in the atl. Why don't u do your own hair? u probably did a better job than his
anyway!

I'm tired of these
stylists messing up our hair.

atlantatiffany

see thats the thing i totally know and i trusted him with my hair. he has been doing my hair for a year and a half. between this board and him that is why my hair has grown so long. he has always trimmed my hair correctly before. so i never thought to question him about how much he as cut my hair. thanks chyna and tee, that is a good point about showing how much the stylist has cut. i never thought of that. i totally wasn't being timid. i know it's my hair but i just trusted him. i have never had problems with him before.

localhost

I'm sorry that you received a cut instead of a trim. I agree with Tee in that you should find another stylist ASAP, and search for one that supports your long hair goals.

This is why stylists cut your hair:

"The commercial hair industry makes its money on short hair. Short needs to be cut more often, and the more haircuts, the more money. It does not stop there.
Soon you "need" to perm and/or color your hair to
make it look "okay." Not only is this damaging to your hair and scalp, but it is expensive. You become a slave to your stylist and the trends of fashion. This is why most salons and hair stylists do not care if you want to grow your hair long. They will cut off what they want to cut and not follow what you instruct, unless you know of a hairstylist that you can trust to do as you ask, and there are some out there. So, stop going to traditional salons. This is the first and most important step toward growing your hair long."

http://longhair.org/growth.htm

T

Tee

I completely understand, Tiffany! I've been there. Twice (shame on me!). I had 100% trust in both stylists! One was even a good friend. Well, one day, she just flipped and amputated my hair! The other stylist applied relaxer to all of my hair, from root to tip, when I just went in for a touch up. I can still remember crying in the shower as tons of my hair broke off!

I know how upset and disappointed you must be right now, but your hair will grow back. The lesson in this is that you must take control over the health and care of your hair. Never let a stylist convince you that they know more than you when it comes to YOUR hair. Never become too comfortable with a stylist, to the point where they feel they can start doing things to your hair without even discussing it with you first. Good luck finding a new stylist.

felicia

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I know how u feel, it happened to me a few times before(different stylists).

Chyna Red

Well if you've never had a problem with him before..and still wish to continue to patronize him thenh ave another talk with him and tell him that he must do what you tell him to do when it comes to your hair. Tell him that you are happy with the way he does your hair and the growth that he has helped you obtain but when you ask for a trim you mean a trim and not a cut.. If he can't oblige your wishes then you will have to find another stylist who puts their customers wishes first.

atlantatiffany

sweetpea, tee, and felicia thanks for all your advice. i really appreciate it so and it is so great to talk to women who have experienced this also. i am going to try to find a stylist and see if she can do something with my hair. to make matters worst it's not even like he cut my hair into a cute style.

tee this stylist was also my friend. it's the same thing. it's like he just flipped out. anyway i am just going to get my hair cut into a better cut and start from here. i love all u ladies. thanks for great avice.

Crystena77

This happened to me as well.

A few years later, I did find a good stylist. I got fed up with my hair, went to my family friend who was a stylist and said "Cut it all off!" She REFUSED to cut my hair because she knew that I wanted long hair. It was her who originally introduced me to nexxuss products, told me to moisturize my hair and with her I had acheived my longest hair length. A trim with her, was a TRIM.

So they are not all bad.

She only stopped doing my hair because she had to take care of her sick husband and stopped doing hair altogether.

After I stopped going to her, I went back to bad habits, lost my length and just recently started trying to regrow it again.

Spagirl

I'm sooooo sorry to hear that you experienced this.
I too went through something similar. Because of this I purchased the split ender. I didn't think I could trim as good a non scissor happy stylist but I thought the split ender could do a better job than I could. So far so good, my hair ends and my nerves have been spared.

localhost

No problem, Tiffany. I feel your frustration
, all that hard work down the damn drain. If you can't readily jump to another stylist, don't let your current stylist take some shears to your hair throughout 2004. Have a friend, boyfriend, family member do it for you or attempt to do it yourself

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I am sorry hon --that is so NOT COOL

It would be great if we could have a "Scissor Happy Stylist" forum where we list the name, city, & salon of the stylist.

Tiff, I would tell him on your next appointment (or now if you need to) that he "trimmed" off alot more of your hair than you wanted & that you do not want anymore trims from him. If he uses that lame excuse of "it's healthier" then you can proceed to tell him that you know your hair & that you inspect your hair, especially the ends on a daily basis & that you don't use heat on your hair, you're very gentle with it, etc.--

Ugh

Kitkat

Tiffany, like everyone else I'm sorry to hear about your nightmare experience. It's even worse because this is someone you trusted. I had this happen to me years ago. I went to the hairdresser for a touch-up only, and he cut my hair down to about 3 inches all around. Believe me, your hair will grow back. Kick this stylist to the curb and find someone whom you can truly trust to do EXACTLY what you want them to do. Don't feel self-conscious about monitoring the trim every few moments and don't be concerned about offending the stylist. Better to be aggressive up front than upset later. If he/she does get offended, get rid of him/her, too. If necessary, trim your hair yourself.

I'll ask my sister in Decatur who does her hair. She's never had a problem with scissor-happy stylists.

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation atlantatiffany.

My SIL goes to a stylist here in ATL (I believe near Georgia Tech). Apparently, he specializes in very long hair. She says he's "old school" and only into doing the basics to keep long hair healthy. Warning: my SIL says he isn't the stylist to go to if you want one of those hip new hair styles that some of the ATL women sport. He's really basic.

Randy is his name and I will get his phone number from my SIL.

Good luck

jaibee

ATLWavyLocks, and the others who posted about stylists in Decatur, can you please pm the info to me or post the information in the salon locator forum? I think we'd all be interested to know more about these folks!

Nyambura

surfer girl
[ QUOTE ]
atlantatiffany said:
i know this post has been made before but it happened to me yesterday and i am so upset. i have been going to this stylist for a year and a half and for some reason he decides to cut my hair off. i have been a member of this board and i have been going my hair out. <font color="red">my hair was 2inches above my bar strap. since i haven't had a relaxer in 4 months i believe it was now touching my bar strap. the stylist cut my hair to my shoulders.</font> can u believe it? all my growing and everything just gone down the tubes. if this has happened to any of u women please help. i just want to know what i should say to him. <font color="red">i did talk to him and he told me it needed to be cut because it was healthier this way.</font> which i know is not true, because i wear protective styles daily. i know it's just hair, but i just feel i wasted a complete year of all my progress. if any of u ladies can recommend a stylist in atlanta that is not scissor happy that would help too. tiffany

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT?!!?!!
How about an apology and offering some compensatory services? I know he is your friend, AT, but his conduct requires some
!

You are not alone in having experienced this, as many of the posts here can demonstrate. Some attribute cattiness only to women stylists but the SHS I left was a man. It seemed that as my hair growth took off, thanks to the hair care internet boards, he only began to get scissor-happy when my length began to approach his wife's.

I agree with the suggestions that you make whoever trims your hair show you *exactly* how much (s)he is trimming. Even if you wear glasses and have to remove them for the trim, put those suckers back on to check the progress. I do this now, at the risk of being seen as "difficult." It makes the stylist really focus on what (s)he's doing b/c (s)he knows I'm watching like a hawk.

I also agree with the suggestion that you find someone else to trim your hair. A former co-worker of mine used to repeatedly warn against using the same stylist who does relaxers to also trim your hair. She was convinced that, either consciously or subconsciously, the stylist would factor the difficulty of dealing with all that hair into the trim. She might have been on to something. If your stylist as your friend, I would suggest that he can still do your touchups, but you can let him know you won't be requiring his trimming services.

bellydancer

i wanna beat the crap out of ur stylist! He is a liar because I bet your hair was very healthy at bra-strap. It must have been another reason that she did that and she should have asked your permission first! Or at least told you what she was going to do BEFORE she did it!

HairFanatic01

I don't know/....... I'm in Atlanta also, but I notice that there are a lot of **scissor-happy** stylists. Its ridiculous!! I think that you need to have another talk with him. And if he can't do what you want him to do, then you should leave!! With all the info on the board you can do most of the work yourself. The only thing you might need is a pro to do the relaxer, but other than that you're good to go. And if he doesn't understand then I would leave and find another stylist. I am sooooooooooooo sorry. But atltif I think that this will be an even greater inspiration for you to grow your hair out longer and quicker!!