Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2007, 05:08 PM

Thanked 5,047 Times in 1,004 Posts
Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 76 Thread(s)
Default Does conditioner clean your hair? (Or, why no shampoo?)

I notice that some people only use shampoo very infrequently, but they wash (well, co-wash) quite a bit. Maybe this is an ignorant question, but does conditioner clean your hair as well as moisturize it? If not, wouldn't you get a lot of build up from not shampooing?

Confused,

Glib
Old 10-13-2007, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Does conditioner clean your hair? (Or, why no shampoo?)

I only tried conditioner washing once and it did not agree with my hair. I'm not sure why but my hair looked dull and did seem to have a build-up.

Many of the ladies here say their hair thrives on conditioner washes so maybe it depends on the conditioner and/or technique. On another hair board, many have and continue to do "water only" washes and it seems to work for them.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:21 PM

Thanked 1,272 Times in 240 Posts
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

no i don't believe that conditioning completely cleans your hair...most people frequently condition wash because of the non-stripping conditioning properties - it keeps their hair from being stripped of oils and retains moisture. i used to condition everyday and shampoo about once a week. my hair was so strong, shiney and healthy when i did this regularly

7+Years with Sisterlocks, 8+ Years Nappy!

http://www.fotki.com/thefineprint
Updated 6/16/2014
Old 10-13-2007, 05:31 PM

Thanked 15,979 Times in 2,009 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 19 Thread(s)

I believe conditioner can cleanse the hair, but I still like to clarify with poo at least once a month to get rid of buildup.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Only The Strong Survive

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 11 Thread(s)

Some conditioners contain cleansing agents that can effectively clean the hair and scalp, not as squeaky clean as shampoo, but clean nonetheless. I've been co-washing since '05, I love co-washing it works for my hair. I do clarify (shampoo) about once a month though, not a big fan of it! When it comes to co-washing it’s about products and most of all technique. Some people just apply the conditioner to their hair and rinse it out within a minute’s time, that’s not going to work. I apply my conditioner to my hair and work it in just as if I was using shampoo, I let it set in for a few minutes then I thoroughly rinse it out, my hair and scalp comes out clean, refreshed and moisturized.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:00 PM

Thanked 1,240 Times in 249 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 26 Thread(s)

I wash my hair once per week, alternating co-washing one week, and shampoo-washing the next week. So I use shampoo every two weeks, mainly to remove buildup. My hair does very well with this method.

ETA: When I do use shampoo, I dilute it with water then pour it over my hair, to prevent stripping.

Last edited by prospurr4; 10-13-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:01 PM

Thanked 2,340 Times in 710 Posts
Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)

Conditioners have secondary surfactants (or detergents). Shampoos have primary surfactants which are a lot stronger. My hair hates shampoo. Conditioner works just fine esp since I use it so often.

Last edited by sareca; 10-13-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:12 PM

Thanked 4,488 Times in 1,218 Posts
Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 15 Thread(s)

Hi

I co-wash daily and my hair loves it. I don't do it for cleansing purposes, I do it to replenish moisture to my hair. I use cheap conditioners like vo5, suave and white rain and I do not experience any build up, but I clarify every so often and wash once a week.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:03 PM

Thanked 67,322 Times in 6,918 Posts
Mentioned: 564 Post(s)
Tagged: 59 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Ambrosia View Post
When it comes to co-washing it’s about products and most of all technique. Some people just apply the conditioner to their hair and rinse it out within a minute’s time, that’s not going to work. I apply my conditioner to my hair and work it in just as if I was using shampoo, I let it set in for a few minutes then I thoroughly rinse it out, my hair and scalp comes out clean, refreshed and moisturized.
I totally and completely agree, Sweet_Ambrosia. This is what happened for me, too. I became a regular CW this year. For the past several months I've been doing it (especially all through the summer) and I love it. For me, I found that the type of conditioner I used had profound effects on having a cleaner hair and scalp. I might be sensitive to non-organic/natural products, but after much trial and error (and some denial on my part, until I finally did a test last week) I concluded that Elucence is the only conditioner I can use to CW that will have my hair and my scalp feeling the way I wanted to: clean, and moisturized. I feel kind of bad that the others didn't work as well, but what can I say? For some reason the Suave conditioners and other cheaper ones did nothing for me. It saddens my heart and my wallet, but at least I know what works for me.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

for me shampoo irritate my scalp and tangle my hair
i cw one wk then the next wk i wash using 4 tblsp of baking soda mixed with a gallon of water gets my hair pretty clean
Old 10-13-2007, 07:20 PM
overworked and underpaid

Thanked 2,075 Times in 589 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)

I like co-washing daily but the ladies are right it does build up so I started using a little bit of poo' everyday (nickle/quarter size amount) and it's working out beautifully *for me*. I sleep in a moisturing conditioner every night so my hair hasn't suffered from using poo' on a daily basis. I have been doing this for the past 6 weeks or so. I never need to clarify anymore because I don't allow it to build up in the first place. If I notice any problems on the horizon I'll definitely change my regimen but for the time being if it ain't broke......
Old 10-13-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Some conditioners contain cleansing agents that can effectively clean the hair and scalp, not as squeaky clean as shampoo, but clean nonetheless. I've been co-washing since '05, I love co-washing it works for my hair. I do clarify (shampoo) about once a month though, not a big fan of it! When it comes to co-washing it’s about products and most of all technique. Some people just apply the conditioner to their hair and rinse it out within a minute’s time, that’s not going to work. I apply my conditioner to my hair and work it in just as if I was using shampoo, I let it set in for a few minutes then I thoroughly rinse it out, my hair and scalp comes out clean, refreshed and moisturized.
Good technique for co washing...I'm stealing it!!
Old 10-13-2007, 08:42 PM

Personally Co-washes always worked for me, but I do shampoo once a week though and thats when I deep condition. I love Co-washing and I personally think it saved my hair from excessive breakage and tangling when I wash it!!!

Ult. Goal: WL ( Thick abd Happy)
Staples: ORS Replenishing Packs, Cream of NAture Shampoo, Worlds of Curls Conditioning Spray,V05 Cons, Honey, EVOO, Castor Oil, IC Fantasia Hair Serum/ polisher.

nd Goal
Old 10-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Goal:Hip length stretched

Thanked 1,209 Times in 535 Posts
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 18 Thread(s)

I co-wash often and my hair seems to like it. My hair and my scalp do feel clean after and my hair feels very moisturised.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:39 AM

Thanked 5,047 Times in 1,004 Posts
Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 76 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback, ladies! You have definitely given me something to ponder . . . . I'm getting relaxed at the end of this week, so I'm not going to do any washes of any kind . . . but afterwards I will start to incorporate co-washes into my regiment more often.Thanks!
Old 10-14-2007, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 89 Thread(s)

Quote:
. I apply my conditioner to my hair and work it in just as if I was using shampoo, I let it set in for a few minutes then I thoroughly rinse it out, my hair and scalp comes out clean, refreshed and moisturized.
My technique is like this too. I really like it and the non-stripping results. I do use shampoo every week or two and I clarify fairly regularly also to prevent build up.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glib Gurl View Post
Thanks for the feedback, ladies! You have definitely given me something to ponder . . . . I'm getting relaxed at the end of this week, so I'm not going to do any washes of any kind . . . but afterwards I will start to incorporate co-washes into my regiment more often.Thanks!
The cleansing agents in conditioners can work effectivly but since they are secondary, you need to leave the conditioner on longer. Apply conditioner to wet hair and massage in. Wait to rinse it out until the last minute.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:19 PM

Thanked 2,028 Times in 444 Posts
Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)

I wash often. To use shampoo every time would completely strip my hair of all of its natural oils.

I also think that conditioners do have cleansing agents in it. It works fine for me to wash once per week and condition wash in between.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinebeautiful View Post
I wash often. To use shampoo every time would completely strip my hair of all of its natural oils.

I also think that conditioners do have cleansing agents in it. It works fine for me to wash once per week and condition wash in between.
To avoid this, I shampoo only my roots/scalp. This way, I'm cleansing my roots and getting rid of any product buildup. The residual shampoo that runs-off when I'm rinsing is enough to cleanse the strands. That said, I wash 2x per week and only one of those is with shampoo...and it's a moisturizing shampoo, at that. My hair has not felt dry/stripped since I started washing this way!
Old 10-14-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naijamerican View Post
I totally and completely agree, Sweet_Ambrosia. This is what happened for me, too. I became a regular CW this year. For the past several months I've been doing it (especially all through the summer) and I love it. For me, I found that the type of conditioner I used had profound effects on having a cleaner hair and scalp. I might be sensitive to non-organic/natural products, but after much trial and error (and some denial on my part, until I finally did a test last week) I concluded that Elucence is the only conditioner I can use to CW that will have my hair and my scalp feeling the way I wanted to: clean, and moisturized. I feel kind of bad that the others didn't work as well, but what can I say? For some reason the Suave conditioners and other cheaper ones did nothing for me. It saddens my heart and my wallet, but at least I know what works for me.

I feel the same way about Elucence. It is the only conditioner which works for my co washes me. It cleans my hair very well, and is very moisturizing. V05 gave me too many tangles. At this point, I'm afraid to try any other conditioners. Eventually, I hope to find a cheaper conditioner that I can pick up in the local stores...