:::Confused: Conditioner or Shampoo?:::

lovelymissyoli

I have a few questions about shampooing and conditioning. I’ve noticed that some ladies conditioner wash rather than shampoo or along with shampooing their hair. What’s the difference between the two? Is one harsher than the other? Does one have better results? I read the post that discussed co washes in more detail but now that some details were explained I don’t even know if my moisturizing conditioner is what can be used to do a conditioner wash (I use Motions Lavish Conditioning Shampoo). Can you shampoo and condition your hair at the same time or in the same week? I’m a little confused on this topic because I never started taking care of my hair until I joined this board. Could someone help me clear things up? If you could recommend products, please do…

P.S.> I haven’t developed a routine yet so my questions may be a little simple.

Ayeshia

heres the main difference:

shampoo cleans the hair conditioner doesnt.

Shampoo tends to strip the hair more becasue of the ceansing agents involved. A co wash is mainly use to soften the hair, and is a "perk" in additon to rinsing your hair while in the shower.

Like take my routine for instance. I conditioner wash about 3-4x a week, and every two weeks I use a shampoo to thoroughly clean my hair

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I use conditioner to clean my hair and condition at the same time. If done properly, the friction of your hands/fingers will loosen the dirt/sebum from your scalp. I only use shampoo when I neutralize after a relaxer. I use ACV to clarify.

Wolftrap

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if that is true. When I condition wash my hair it is still clean. It is still as clean as it was if I used shampoo. I just find conditioner washes to moisturize my hair more and it feels softer than using shampoo but my hair is still clean.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
Wolftrap said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if that is true. When I condition wash my hair it is still clean. It is still as clean as it was if I used shampoo. I just find conditioner washes to moisturize my hair more and it feels softer than using shampoo but my hair is still clean.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA!

Prettytoes

Conditioner can cleanse your hair and scalp if you do it properly. It's much more gentle on the hair and less drying than shampoo.

Neroli

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
Wolftrap said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA!

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO. Conditioners does an excellent job of "cleaning" my hair and scalp. I think they too must have some mild cleansers in them?! Anywho, my scalp and hair gets squeeky clean with conditioners that are not too thick and heavy, like suave.

lovelymissyoli

[ QUOTE ]
Prettytoes said:
Conditioner can cleanse your hair and scalp if you do it properly. It's much more gentle on the hair and less drying than shampoo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Done properly? Could you explain your method? Do you leave the conditioner in your hair for a while?

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
Wolftrap said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

okay let me reword this...the main purposes are different. Shampoos for cleansing, conditioners for softening. Although I agree that conditioners do cleanse your hair somewhat. But the cleansing agents in the shampoos will do a much better job at removing dirt