Can you co-wash w/homemade conditioner

virtuenow

Does anyone here use their homemade conditioner as a "conditioner wash" (co-wash) only. I mean, totally skip the shampoo phase and use your own concoction as a cowash instead of your commercial conditioners. I haven't heard anyone talk about this yet! Please discuss. If you have not done it, what do you think about it? Good idea or bad idea?

Concern: well, they say that commercial conditioners contain ingredients that also clean the hair (sodium laur...eh...something), so co-washing in that way still tends to clean the hair shaft. However, when u use all natural products, such as mashed avocado and olive oil--- is it safe (or clean) to use as a cowash??

Last edited:

Theresamonet

Does anyone here use their homemade conditioner as a "conditioner wash" (co-wash) only. I mean, totally skip the shampoo phase and use your own concoction as a cowash instead of your commercial conditioners. I haven't heard anyone talk about this yet! Please discuss. If you have not done it, what do you think about it? Good idea or bad idea?

If it's a good recipe it should be great...Most of the brands a lot of members here love (KBB, HairVeda, Hydratherma Naturals, etc.) are basically homemade.

Last edited:

maxineshaw

Concern: well, they say that commercial conditioners contain ingredients that also clean the hair (sodium laur...eh...something), so co-washing in that way still tends to clean the hair shaft. However, when u use all natural products, such as mashed avocado and olive oil--- is it safe (or clean) to use as a cowash??

I don't think so. Homemade conditioners tend to be filled with moisturizing/conditioning ingredients. Commercial conditioners tend to contain surfactants which is what makes them useful for cleansing.

There are many ways to clean your hair naturally (baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice, etc.), but I wouldn't do it with a homemade conditioner. There's nothing cleansing about it. I think it's a bad idea.

Theresamonet

I don't think so. Homemade conditioners tend to be filled with moisturizing/conditioning ingredients. Commercial conditioners tend to contain surfactants which is what makes them useful for cleansing.

You can buy this and add it to your homemade mix.
http://www.lotioncrafter.com/lotioncrafter-premium-ingredients-surfactants/

There are many ways to clean your hair naturally (baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice, etc.), but I wouldn't do it with a homemade conditioner. There's nothing cleansing about it. I think it's a bad idea.

I'm sure you can add these in as well...

What I'm trying to say is...it's about the recipe. "Homemade" only means that you made it at home. You can buy any ingredients you would like and add it to your mixes...cleansing agents included if you'd like.

Last edited: