Am I A Unicorn?

SunRai Naturals

Different heads of hair have different characteristics even within the types. I exclusively finger detangle and that can take hours. It takes so long because my hair tangles from root to tip and I leave it in protective styles for a long time (two to three months). Plus I'm a slow braider so that gets added into my hair regimen time. Taking that long is a necessary part of my hair regimen. That's how this 4c, fine strand, low po, very kinky natural hair is approaching waist length. I could use a comb and do my hair in 30 minutes but the retention wouldn't happen for me. I never complain about how long it takes because the pay off has been amazing.

Ogoma

In my 18 years on living at home, I havent met ONE person with type 3 strands... None... Your friends are the exception or maybe they have some Non-Nigerian genes somewhere in their gene pool.

Not always the case. My dad has pretty loose curls and he is all Nigerian.

PJaye

True. But I figure the more you do a thing, the better and faster you get at it. The rat tail comb is scary for everyone. But what helps is me using my huge tooth comb first and then when I use the RTC it glides through flawlessly.

My hair is not fine though so perhaps that makes it easier for me? It's a darn shame that I've been here for 7 years and still don't know much about hair. :lol:

Girl, I hear you, but I can never get through an entire set; I always quit after few bedraggled rollers. No matter how well I detangle, the rattail comb still has difficulty gliding down the sections of hair. And, it will be full of hair! I worry that if I keep going it, I will wind up rolling six strands of hair.:lol:

lacreolegurl

It takes me ten minutes max for my everyday wash-n-go. I'm mostly 3c with some 4a at the crown. My hair dries within the half hour. My hair is dense, but fine.

If I flat iron, it takes about 2 hours only because I separate it into tiny sections to avoid passing over it more than 2x. Blow drying takes about 15 minutes because my arms get tired.

My hair is MBL, but with shrinkage, rests on my shoulders.

BEAUTYU2U

OT: I also wonder about dryness. It takes a lot to dry out my hair and using the wrong shampoo doesn't automatically turn my hair into straw. But I know someone with 3A/B hair, who could never get away with something like that. My 4A/B only has to be moisturized every couple of days. She loves shea butter, I hate it.

Ari8

I have a looser texture and styling used to take me a good hour or more. And all I was doing was a bun. Something was clearly wrong there. It now takes me about 20 minutes, cowashing & all. I just throw some gel in my soaking wet hair, apply leave in-, and put it in a sloppy bun.
I don't deal with my hair anymore these days. It's easier to just forget about it.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
My wash day is long due to mu dc, which I prefer to be at least an hour. I love pampering my hair.

In reality I can shampoo in large braids, dc in the shower for 15 minutes, apply leave in and style in a bun or dookie twists/braids for a total of about 40 minutes. Less without the dc.

I just choose not to do that.

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

ProductJunkie

If I did my hair and was only doing it and trying to get it done I could be one in a half hour... I don't style wet hair for any reason so things move pretty quickly... Styling as well... IDK I don't think your a unicorn.

But since I care about overall health I take the time to HOT, DC, search and destroy trim and really take my time doing my hair because I'm not in a rush. I keep my hair stretched 100% of the time so it helps cut back on time

angelhairtype4

The longer my hair gets the quicker my detangling has become. When it was shorter it was still easy, but I was trying so many different things that others suggested which made it more difficult when it wasn't at all. Takes me a half hour to get in an out the shower. 45 minutes if Im doing a deep condition. I just steam up the shower and pop on a plastic cap. Plus I like long showers :). I sound so good in the shower lol. I put on my music and jam lol.

I admit though I am one of those people that likes playing in their hair. With 2 tiny tots and a husband thats currently deployed..My hair is my down time. I can experiement with different styles and give myself the spa treatment.

FelaShrine

In my 18 years on living at home, I havent met ONE person with type 3 strands... None... Your friends are the exception or maybe they have some Non-Nigerian genes somewhere in their gene pool.

ive only seen it on the men LOL. Never seen anything but 4a/b/c on Naija women. My dad is like 3c/4a or some loose mess :lol:

ckisland

I love long hair and I love pretty hair, but I don't want to have to work for either :lachen: !!! My hair doesn't tangle much and hates the manipulation that comes with twisting and braiding. I pray that it stays this easy as I reach my hair goals. Luckily a single braid, 2 braids, and a bun look awesome with long hair :lol:.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I find that I can complete an "effective" wash day in 15 minutes if I choose; effective meaning no setbacks from rushing, improper manipulation, half-done detangling etc. My hair is approaching MBL or WL, is very fine, dense, coily, and tangle/SSK-prone. For days I'm short on time, I have to pull out ALL of my HGs and settle on a simple style (chunky twists/chunky twist out, bun, chunky cornrows, WNG). My HGs tend to be expensive/take a lot of product/hard to find so I spread them out among the inferior products that are still effective.
I'm a convert to easy hair maintenance being a combo of good techniques and products your hair LOVES.
I like keeping the same style a minimum of 1 week (those wash days take about 3-4 hours with all my extra steps/treatments); right now, I'm trying to keep styles in for a month and those wash days take 30-45 minutes (with all my extras) unless it's time to reinstall a style, which takes 6-30 hours depending on how fancy the end result will be.

Nefertiti0906

Ogoma Yes... you are a unicorn... Especially for a full blown Nigerian (aka chances that you have type 3 strands are 0 to none).

Detangling my natural hair alone takes an hour... How do you wear your hair normally? And look professional under an hr? Can you post a picture of what your hair looks like normally?

JudithO I'm full blown Nigerian with 3c strands, and I'm no unicorn; it does take me more than 1 hour to wash and dc my hair.

krissyhair

For my old roommate, wash-day is a Saturday-long event. But she is super meticulous about her hair. I can wash, condition, detangle, dry and style in no more time than it takes to get dressed on a regular day.

So OP, no you are not a unicorn, unless we both are. :)

Last edited:

JudithO

@JudithO I'm full blown Nigerian with 3c strands, and I'm no unicorn; it does take me more than 1 hour to wash and dc my hair.

Seriously? Where are you from? I dont know anyone with these 3c "oyibo" strands... Everybody I know has the real african takoko hair... :lol:

ETA: Takoko is not an insult o... Dont want anyone accusing me of hating myself and all african people... Just means real strong and kinky...

Jewell

When I was natural, it took at least 1 full hour to wash, condition, detangle, and style. That was the time it took at APL, newly BC'd, so I shudder to think what kind of time and work I would be looking at now. I dont care what anyone says...unless your hair is shorter than neck-length, natural hair that is tightly coiled or curled is WORK...just to keep it moisturized, presentable, prevent breakage, and stop it from matting is a feat in and of itself.

My hair is ridiculously thick and tightly curled in it's natural state...so much so that it was difficult to even put it in a ponytail/curly puff.
If I did an actual twisted style, I'd be looking at 1 hour to wash and detangle, and 1.5 hrs to style and slightly dry under the dryer.

If I did Marley Twists with added hair, it would take 6 hours over 3 days to finish it (due to having to stop and restart over interruptions like work, errands, kids, etc) Aint got time fo dat. And to pay an exhorbitant fee to a braider is not happening. That is why I'm a DIY'er. Stylists and braiders see all this hair and get straight stupid with their prices.:rolleyes: It's as if they had a bump on the head between me walking in and then letting my hair out. Price instantly goes up like stock, lol

The mats, SSK's, and shrinkage are why I absolutely had to texlax my hair. Just could not deal with it time and energy-wise. Shrinkage is neat, but horrendously frustrating for me.

Just in the last 6 months my detangling time has gone from 10 to over 30 mins. I expect increased detangling time as it gets longer, but my wash takes no more than 25-30 mins standard.

So no, Ogoma, I would say your time is rather normal.

Last edited:

Nefertiti0906

Seriously? Where are you from? I dont know anyone with these 3c "oyibo" strands... Everybody I know has the real african takoko hair... :lol:

ETA: Takoko is not an insult o... Dont want anyone accusing me of hating myself and all african people... Just means real strong and kinky...

JudithO, lol I'm Ibibio

Ogoma

What we have right here is the problem with trying to stereotype what 150 million people look like. :lol:

CuteMeeka

You guys don't count.. All you Cross River/Akwa Ibom people are the exotic looking people with the hazel eyes and 3c hair... lol... I'm kidding.. I have no explanation (but a lot of you guys from that area are quite 'exotic' looking.... people like us from Delta just look like plain ol negroes.. lol)

Not me! Lmao @ your comment.

mbib0002

You guys don't count.. All you Cross River/Akwa Ibom people are the exotic looking people with the hazel eyes and 3c hair... lol... I'm kidding.. I have no explanation (but a lot of you guys from that area are quite 'exotic' looking.... people like us from Delta just look like plain ol negroes.. lol)

nefertiti, CuteMeeka, Ogoma, Foxglove

Cause akwa ibom and and cross river (port harcourt) is by the water (port); European Christian missionaries and traders traveled back and forth through the port, and made some babies along the way, that's why we see a lot of "exotic" looking people there.

That's the honest truth, I've looked into this part of Nigerian history, but no one ever talks about it. Same with some part of ibo land, European Christian missionaries, especially, settled in parts of ibo land too that's why Ibos are (almost) predominantly Christian and some are very fair skinned ( including my cousin from Arochukwu with hazel eyes) :yep:

Last edited:

JudithO

^ You know that Cross Rivers and Rivers are two completely different states right? Rivers (port harcourt) is by the River and is very different from Cross Rivers as mentioned above...

I agree a lil bit with you about the European influence, but you have some of your facts all jacked up..

Ogoma

River, cross river, akwa ibom are all by the coast, check the Nigerian map

You are right. I worked on a project in Calabar and it is right by the ocean. It also has some gorgeous colonial buildings and the Obudu (sp?) Cattle Ranch was a dream to visit.

Last edited:

Ogoma

Cause akwa ibom and and cross river (port harcourt) is by the water (port); European Christian missionaries and traders traveled back and forth through the port, and made some babies along the way, that's why we see a lot of "exotic" looking people there.

That's the honest truth, I've looked into this part of Nigerian history, but no one ever talks about it. Same with some part of ibo land, European Christian missionaries, especially, settled in parts of ibo land too that's why Ibos are (almost) predominantly Christian and some are very fair skinned ( including my cousin from Arochukwu with hazel eyes) :yep:

I don't think it is that simple. I am Igbo and I think our town is quite inland (or it felt that way driving forever). The varieties of tones and textures have been in my family before the missionaries. I don't know why we everything to European missionaries as opposed to groups we traded with for much longer periods of time. I know we would like these things to be simple, but they are not.

Nefertiti0906

JudithO LOL

Well they do say African's have the most diverse set of genes :look:

Nefertiti0906

I don't think it is that simple. I am Igbo and I think our town is quite inland (or it felt that way driving forever). The varieties of tones and textures have been in my family before the missionaries. I don't know why we everything to European missionaries as opposed to groups we traded with for much longer periods of time. I know we would like these things to be simple, but they are not.

mbib0002 I can definitely say that I'm not mixed. Like Ogoma mentioned, the variations have been in our families for generations. Those that have white ancestry would know because we pass down our heritage so that we would know where our blood line is from. Are you Nigerian? :ohwell:

^ You know that Cross Rivers and Rivers are two completely different states right? Rivers (port harcourt) is by the River and is very different from Cross Rivers as mentioned above...

I agree a lil bit with you about the European influence, but you have some of your facts all jacked up..

ITA.

You are right. I worked on a project in Calabar and it is right by the ocean. It also has some gorgeous colonial buildings and the Obudu (sp?) Cattle Ranch was a dream to visit.

Ogoma my parents honey mooned at the Cattle Ranch :yep:

Last edited: