November 2014 Hits & Misses

CodeRed

Mega hit:

Eva NYC Hair Mask.

Oh.
My.
Goodness.

Love for ever and ever. Someone mentioned it in a thread last month so I bought it at ULTA (has lots of good stuff in it and it can be found in a variety of places for the same price - $15 for 16.9 oz). I used it for the specified time while in the shower ( ~ 5 minutes while I washed) as a co wash... I didn't have to use as much as I thought because it's thick (like whipped frosting)... I washed it out... my scalp is moisturized and my hair feels like... HAIR. Soft, smooth, moisturized hair with a touch of shine and weightless. The fragrance is even good too (smells lightly of vanilla and something else...) but it doesn't stay long (or I got used to it). And I had less hair come out after blow drying. This is definitely a keeper. I think I'll buy 1 jar a year (I still love my VO5 for everything else) so I can use it after a relaxer. Or maybe I'll use it exclusively all the time. I don't know but my hair still feels awesome and I co-washed it on Wednesday morning at around 4am. I'm half tempted not to do my planned co wash for today (Friday).

Here's a link to what it looks like, but the price on their website is higher than anywhere else you'll find it (ULTA, Nordstroms, Amazon, etc):

http://eva-nyc.com/collections/argan-oil-keravis-hair-care/products/therapy-session-hair-mask

Ingredients:

Aqua (Water), Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Panthenol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol (Keravis), Hippophae Rhamnoides (Obliphica) Oil, Argania Spinosa Kernel (Argan) Oil, Parfum (Fragrance), Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid.

I really love this. Thanks to whomever mentioned it in a thread before. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Barbara

Princess
Triple Hits!!! :yay:

• Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula (Moisturizing Body Oil) -- I use it for my hair, and it just glides down smoothly, eliminates the dryness instantly like magic.
  • Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil (hair treatment with mink oil) pomade is great for my ends.
  • Dax Pomade (the green one) is also excellent for dry ends.
Even though these are "back in the day brand name products," they still do the job at a least expensive price.

There are many more inexpensive but effective products out there for us "budget-conscious individuals," :lachen:but I just wanted to mention these three, because they save me a lot of money.

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

Hit: Jakeala coconut juice
Yes I've only used it for three days lol but I really like it. It's light but moisturizing. Smells great too. Perfect refresher spray me.

Platinum

On the fence: Dudu Osum Natural Raw Shea Butter Moist Conditioner. It's okay but it contains mineral oil. Not good for someone with Locs.

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
SUPER HIT: Desert Essence Unscented Conditioner! I used it in the shower after my MegaTek treatment and it was super slippery and made my hair soft and silky! I used it again as an overnight leave-in treatment and under my DC with Giovanni Nutrafix and when I rinsed, my hair felt like little "s" strands of silky goodness!

Ingredients: Aloe barbadensis leaf (aloe vera) juice*, camellia sinensis leaf extract (green tea)*, cetearyl alcohol, glycerin (palm), behentrimonium chloride, leuconostoc/radish root ferment filtrate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, hydrolyzed jojoba esters, jojoba esters, panthenol (pro-vitamin B-5), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, lepidium meyenii root extract (maca root)*, yucca brevifolia root extract (yucca cactus)*, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, symphytum officinale leaf extract (comfrey)*, urtica dioica (nettle) leaf extract*, macrycystis pyrifera extract (sea kelp)*, salix alba (willow) bark extract*, potassium sorbate, citric acid, water (aqua).
*Certified Organic.

CONTINUED HIT: Mega Tek Coat Rebuilder. My twists were just a little bit longer than the last time I DCed (even DH noticed!)! And my fragile edges---snatched back by a brief stint of bunning---have filled in nicely and are growing! Love this stuff!

CONTINUED HIT: Giovanni Nutrafix. Once again, this DC is the troof. Is great on it's own and HG status when mixed with glycerin, EVOO, and EVCO! As long as they don't change the formula, this will be for DC staple!

CONTINUED HIT: SheaMoisture Curl Souffle. Defines, moisturizes, and provides shine. And I can find it at multiple stores in my area. What's not to love?

NOT SURE HOW TO USE SO IT'S A MISS: Mega Tek Coat Remoisturizer. I like the ingredients BUT it has Tetrasodium EDTA and while my hair will tolerate this in a rinse off product like Mega Tek Coat Rebuilder, I cannot leave it in my hair so I haven't figured out how to use this. But I love the smell and as I said, overall, the ingredients are good!

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
aloe vera gel and peppermint in my filtered water spray bottle.

HIT!!!

my hair is blinging and soft as a baby's little toosh

caliscurls

HITs:

Shampoo bars and clay washes instead of shampoo and co-washing

Not having to use conditioner due to the above

NG Pumpkin Seed Butter

Making my own oil rinse

Bekura Palm Tapioca Hair Cream as a moisturizer instead of a sealer

Indigo/Henna color..but see the miss

My Honey Child shipping

Fence:
QB Aethiopika Butter - I like the results but I was a little heavy handed on one side and it took forever to wash out....it's the bees wax. I will use it sparingly going forward...the two containers I bought will last a year...or more :)

Miss:
Reaction to Henna/Indigo color. Won't use it again. Had a major reaction. I'm surprised I didn't lose hair where my scalp was irritated.

Getting caught in this Black Friday madness and buying 4 things of conditioner when 1. I really don't use conditioner except when flat ironing and 2. Never even used the brand before (Obia) SMH....I need to go to the corner for that one

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
Miss: Receiving 2 NEW Megatek bottles when the lank showed the old bottle! :nono:
@JulietWhiskey

That's what I get for being a pj. :ohwell:

@Froreal3

Dang! I'm sorry, boo!

What are the ingredients? At least I can tell you if they are the same as mine. And how does it smell? My bottles smell EXACTLY like Ovation which is to say, like coconuts and pineapple.

I would still give it a try, though: you never know!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
caliscurls

I have x2 of the OBIA Babbasu DC'er's currently in my Stash.

You might get around to it and may try it before me. Please let me know what you think.

Thank You!:hug2:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
@Froreal3

Dang! I'm sorry, boo!

What are the ingredients? At least I can tell you if they are the same as mine. And how does it smell? My bottles smell EXACTLY like Ovation which is to say, like coconuts and pineapple.

I would still give it a try, though: you never know!

JulietWhiskey I'll try it tomorrow probably. I have a feeling my Komaza Protein Strengthener is probably similar or better. But I will give a chance.

NaturallyATLPCH

On the fence: Claudie's Khave DC
It was just okay. I wasn't too impressed. I may try it again this wash day for a final review.

Miss: APB Hair Cream
My hair used to love this stuff. Now it makes it feel gummy and even flaked on me a little bit. I've tried it on wet, damp, and dry hair. It just made it feel dry.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
CONTINUED HITS:
JessiCurl Deep Treatment
BlueRoze Beauty's Chai Hair Tea Pre-Rx
Jakeala Hibiscus Flaxseed Cleansing Conditioner

NaturallyATLPCH

NaturallyATLPCH

Interesting.:scratchch

I have x2 Jars of this. I need to pull it out to try.

I had originally purchased it to cowash with. Yes, please try it again.:lol:

Well you know, my hair has been sort of picky with this color. The only things that are working well that usually do are Jessicurl DC and Darcy's Pumpkinseed condish. IDareT'sHair

The search for more DCs continues. Black Friday came just in time :lol:.

Last edited:

SEMO

Hit:

Herbal Essences Naked Sheer Shine Mist

It provides really nice shine and moisture. I'm loving it as a refresher. And since I can get it easily on the ground, I've been using it liberally. I'm almost done with the first bottle and I just got it a few weeks ago (normally I don't use product up that fast).

hot_pepper96

HITs:

Shampoo bars and clay washes instead of shampoo and co-washing

Not having to use conditioner due to the above

NG Pumpkin Seed Butter

Making my own oil rinse

Bekura Palm Tapioca Hair Cream as a moisturizer instead of a sealer

Indigo/Henna color..but see the miss

My Honey Child shipping

Fence:
QB Aethiopika Butter - I like the results but I was a little heavy handed on one side and it took forever to wash out....it's the bees wax. I will use it sparingly going forward...the two containers I bought will last a year...or more :)

Miss:
Reaction to Henna/Indigo color. Won't use it again. Had a major reaction. I'm surprised I didn't lose hair where my scalp was irritated.

Getting caught in this Black Friday madness and buying 4 things of conditioner when 1. I really don't use conditioner except when flat ironing and 2. Never even used the brand before (Obia) SMH....I need to go to the corner for that one

caliscurls

What brand makes that Pumpkinseed Butter? That sounds interesting.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
JulietWhiskey

How often do you use the Megatek? I used it today. Massaged into clean scalp and a little on hair...left in for about 5 minutes, then rinsed. It had a warm sensation on my scalp. Nice pina colada smell.

jbwphoto1

aloe vera gel and peppermint in my filtered water spray bottle.

HIT!!!

my hair is blinging and soft as a baby's little toosh

havilland, for the past year, I've been trying to use aloe vera juice, glycerine, water and EOs, including peppermint, for the L in my LOC. Then one day last week, I finally opened the bottle of aloe vera gel and used that and water with EOs. It is SO MUCH BETTER! Rethinking my BF order of AVJ and changing that order to AVG.

caliscurls

Hit: MYHC Buttery Soy
- Used it in combination with Bekura Palm Tapioca Hair Cream for a flat twist out Wednesday night on blow dried hair. Had the best hair day Thursday. The set was full and shiny with soft definition. I only used a touch per twist so I know it's going to last a long time. I pineappled last night w/ out any additional product and today's hair looks just as great as yesterday's! My ends still feel great. I can see why this has made staple status for so many.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Continued Hits:

APB Hair Cream & Infused oils: Nice, creamy, easy to apply, yummy scents, oils leave me w/soft and shiny hair.

Soultanicals Knot Sauce: Excellent Slip, smells edible, aids in detangling, softens hair

QB BRBC: Just so creamy, and soft, shiny hair

Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo:
Super slip, smells good, doesn't strip hair, lots of lather, and cleans scalp/hair well.