Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 AM

Thanked 5,910 Times in 1,299 Posts
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari8 View Post
I'm VERY tempted to relax. My relaxed hair wasn't great, but at least I didn't have to be bothered with matting, tangling, breakage and lengthy styling sessions. I haven't relaxed mostly because 1) I'm afraid my hair is too weak, and 2) I'm afraid that I'll fail at caring for my relaxed hair same as I've failed to maintain my natural hair. All I want is soft, moisturized, maintainence-free natural hair. I've been at this for 4 years now & I've never gotten close to achieving that. It's just not in the works for me.
I think youll be disappointed then.....cause unless youre naturally bald no hair is maintanence free
Old 01-23-2013, 05:39 AM

Thanked 29,338 Times in 7,782 Posts
Mentioned: 1994 Post(s)
Tagged: 57 Thread(s)
Default Re: Why do you relax?

i relaxed because i wanted to (just because) and because i want my length to show more, without a ton of heat or manipulation. i really wasn't feeling the shrinkage, once my hair started to get longer. i prefer TWA styles on me or locs.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolatePie777 View Post
I think youll be disappointed then.....cause unless youre naturally bald no hair is maintanence free
Er, I understand that. What I meant was that considering all the work (and money) I put into my hair, and the lack of positive results, makes my hair difficult to maintain.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

i relax because i cant deal with my thick natural hair. taking 2 hours to wash and Dc then 6 hours to dry then i proceed to style only to wake up the next day looking homeless.
my natural hair (or transitioning) hair was too much of a set back and took wayy to much time
I have three jobs i dont have that kinda time to spend on my hair.

but more importantly i just look better with relaxed hair.. simple
Old 01-23-2013, 07:39 AM

Thanked 29,338 Times in 7,782 Posts
Mentioned: 1994 Post(s)
Tagged: 57 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari8 View Post
Er, I understand that. What I meant was that considering all the work (and money) I put into my hair, and the lack of positive results, makes my hair difficult to maintain.
@Ari8
what is your hair's porosity, is it dense, course, fine, medium, what is your texture, etc...

this is what is going to determine what is going to work best for your relaxed, or natural.

i had to learn that out for myself.

if you are ready for a change, prepare yourself! find out as much info as you can. don't buy anymore products or try anything until you have educated yourself to feel comfortable. remember this is a learning process.

i found out that i can't do a lot of things that other people do on this board or youtube. oh and products? i had to really find out what ingredients work best for me and what works against me. i am still learning, but now i have staples. now i have some type of reggie that works for the most part. it's not perfect, but it's a work in progress that i am benefiting from.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:40 PM

Thanked 25,738 Times in 5,876 Posts
Mentioned: 556 Post(s)
Tagged: 20 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
What works for your hair obviously might not work for someone else. There are soooooo many variations to natural hair and you might be able to detangle and style yours in 15 minutes while others might take hrs just to detangle. If someone said they relax because natural hair takes too much time, and they do not want to have to wash in sections, that is THEIR experience with the natural stands on THEIR head. Lucky for you, YOUR experience is different. Hence the reason you remain natural.

I have b/c to natural at least 3-4 times since being on this board and I can totally relate to why many relax. I have grown my natural hair out to APL and dealing with it was a chore vs. the ease when it was relaxed. It took hrs to style, detangling was a nightmare even though I lived on Youtube trying to learn the best ways to take care of my hair. It shed way more than when I was relaxed and I just did not enjoy the experience. Fast forward now to today after having a baby; my hair texture changed somewhat. I do not know if it was the hormone but suddenly my natural hair became so much more manageable and easier to handle. It became soft and styled so much easier that there hasn't been a need for me to relax so far. My hairline is so soft and curly when wet and I would hate to have a relaxer ruin the beauty of my natural hair now. It is a little below APL in 19 months and for the first time, I am contented with it because it is no longer a hassle. I am saying all of this to say...., I just wish we could just accept the fact that not because some natural textures look alike, that doesn't mean they behave the same way. If someone says their natural hair is hard to deal with, accept it at that, be happy your experience is different and stop comparing.
Good points.....

Not everyone's hair (natural OR relaxed) is the same, nor does it behave the same...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crystalicequeen123 For This Useful Post:
BranwenRosewood (01-23-2013), CocoaPebbles (01-26-2013), Mystic (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortdub78 View Post
@Ari8
what is your hair's porosity, is it dense, course, fine, medium, what is your texture, etc...

this is what is going to determine what is going to work best for your relaxed, or natural.

i had to learn that out for myself.

if you are ready for a change, prepare yourself! find out as much info as you can. don't buy anymore products or try anything until you have educated yourself to feel comfortable. remember this is a learning process.

i found out that i can't do a lot of things that other people do on this board or youtube. oh and products? i had to really find out what ingredients work best for me and what works against me. i am still learning, but now i have staples. now i have some type of reggie that works for the most part. it's not perfect, but it's a work in progress that i am benefiting from.
My hair is: porous, dense, spongy and fine.

In a general sense, my hair only responds to natural ingredients... and protein. I like ACV so far also, but it works only for as long as its in my hair. And undiluted.

I'm not sure I'm gonna continue trying to figure this out. I ordered a few products and I'll try those, but I'm exhausted and depressed. Nobody's hair should have to be this difficult.

Thanks for your help.