Why do you relax?

spelmanlocks

I had natural hair for about 22 years of my life. While my hair was thick, it was really hard to manage. Plus I liked to wear my hair straight so I was pressing my hair every week which inevitably caused a lot of damage over the years. My hair has grown much faster since I've gotten a relaxer, but having a relaxer definitely requires more work than natural hair in my opinion as far as moisturizing. However, I like the styling options more with relaxed hair.

daydreem2876

carpe diem
Childhood trauma. I am extremely tender headed and the thought of taking a comb through my natural hair makes me cringe :hot:. I had BSL hair as a child and no matter what my mother did, I cried every day of my life trying to get my hair combed, getting pressed was the worst form of torture. I don't like other people to do my hair now and still may cry in the chair now :look:, I am almost 33.

I know, I know... modern methods, modern practices :blah::blah::blah:
I am not brave enough to try natural again, I admire those of you who can

Amerie123

I relax because I can get the best of both worlds.. not only is it much easier to manage, but I can also get the "natural look" with small rods, etc. The styles are unlimited. You don't have to do all of that detangling. Honestly, I don't feel "less black" neither. As a matter of fact, I guarantee you there are naturals that are thinking of relaxing. I cant be a prisoner of my own hair. I just do what makes me happy. And maybe somewhere down the line, I may go natural.

LaidBak

To make my life easier. If I had a head full of natural hair I'd be a slave to caring for it. That's so not me. There is too much life to live to spend it fussing over my super nappy hair.

RosesBlack

I didn't get my first relaxer until I was 15 or so. I was natural for awhile but found that for me to take care of my hair to the best of my ability (back in the day that wasn't saying much) I like using a relaxer.

Now I like using them even more because I understand how to texlax my hair and get the varying textures to be more similar and easier for me to take care of.

That said I do miss having a fade a bit, but am really enjoying this new phase in my haircare and life.

Odd One

Tout simplement, pour moi, c'est plus facile. Aussi, j'apprecie tout les diverses manieres donc je peux coiffer mes cheveux. Nul "style" que j'avais quand j'etais petite n'a pas pris beaucoup d'effort et enfin si je respirais un peux, s'il etait humide, woomph, un afro.

J'aime les afros, et je pense peut-etre un jour en avoir un mais l'idee de ne pas etre capable de coiffer mes cheveux (et non pas les nattes) me rend mal a l'aise.

Je suis d'accord avec la femme en haute qui a dit si elle avait les cheveux comme Tracey Ellen Ross etc qu'elle les porterait. Une femme comme ca peux decide: boucle ou raide.

***Pardon, je suis americaine, et je ne parle pas francais dans ma vie quotidienne et surtout pas au sujet des cheveux!! J'espere que ce ne sois pas si mal a comprendre.***

aww merci pour avoir repondu en francais,mais t'avais pas a faire l'effort:yep: i read and understand english but i know that i might not be so good with grammar and all

Thank you all again for all the reponses:drunk:, glad to know that i now have more then 2 reasons to relax hehe. I also wanted to hear something other then "do it cause its prettier" :wallbash: LOL

Libra08

I'm not relaxed, but in most of the threads I read most people say if I had so and so's natural hair I would go natural, but for me if I had Traycee's relaxed hair I would definitely relax. Personally, relaxed hair seems a little easier to manage, especially at longer lengths. If I wasn't so scared (never been relaxed) I would give relaxed hair a try, but there's so much I have yet to learn.

Ballerina_Bun

For Me:

#1. It is easier to manage/detangle (FOR ME).

#2. I don't worry about the rain or swimming. If it gets wet it gets wet ... without shrinking up into my skull. I still have quite a bit of shrinkage with relaxed/texlaxed hair, but not nearly as much.

#3. FOR ME, it's not as time consuming

#4 when I leave for church with pretty bangs someplace where it is humid; it doesn't look like an afro by the time I get there (that happened). Or, if I am going to class and it's some place humid, I don't have to worry about my hair poofing up and looking like a troll doll in a leotard :nono: << these things happened to me too much while transitioning, hence the reason the transition is over and I relaxed/texlaxed >>

#5 I enjoy the process of taking care of my hair more...