Why do YOU relax your hair?

che1219

I got my first relaxer at 18 because I like to wear my hair straight and everyone else was getting one. Before the relaxer I was getting a press and curl at the salon since I was about 8 or 9 because my mom thought my natural type 4 fine hair was the worst hair in the world and hard to manage. It was dry looking and hard to manage because she didn't know how to properly care for it. I am transitioning thanks to LHCF. I know how to care for my hair and realize I don't need a relaxer to get my hair straight. With the right products and technique, my natural hair is not hard to manage at all. I wear a bun majority of the time and can get it straight air drying with a scarf and when I want to wear it out I rollerset, blow dry or flat iron. I will be 1 yr post relaxer next month and I love my hair.:yep:

imaccami

Because I exercise a lot and as a result I like to wash my hair frequently, that wouldn't be possible if I were natural. Relaxed hair is quicker, I don't have time for 45 min detangling sessions. I can use a lot less heat to get my hair straight.

I was natural for 90% of my childhood and started getting regular relaxers in college. So, I know my natural hair very well, and relaxed hair is a lot easier and quicker for me.

I don't see myself ever going natural, I think it's fine for kids, but it takes way too much time for an adult IMO.

HappilyLiberal

I got my first relaxer at 13 after begging my mom for one since I was 9!

I liked my hair straight and those pressing combs were hot as hell! Plus, that greased up pressing comb look was nothing like a relaxed look. I think if we had the techniques plus tools (flat irons) we have now, I would have been OK as a natural.

I am transitioning now, but realistically, even as a natural I will probably straighten my hair about 50% of the time.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
It's 100x more manageable. I hate any plaiting, twisting or flat ironing and detangling my mass of hair after I've worn it out in its natural state is very time consuming.

mango387

This is going to sound crazy, but I relax my hair for versatility. I have what most people consider bad hair. (Yup, I admit it. When I look at most people who consider themselves 4b, I laugh to myself. That's why I don't participate in typing discussions very often). Therefore, when I tried to do some of the styles that naturals do when I went natural in college, I looked awful. I did not have any curls or waves in my hair except for in one VERY small section in the back. Heck, I didn't even have zig zags for real:nono:.

The only styles that looked nice on me were cornrows, two-strand twists, and flat iron/presses. I COULD NOT WEAR BUNS UNLESS MY HAIR WAS PRESSED. I couldn't do ponytails, because I looked like DON KING!!! Mind you, my hair at its longest as a natural was APL. I was very limited in what styles I could wear as a natural. As a relaxed head, I can wear rollersets, cornrows, straignt styles, braids, updos, buns, etc. I love the versatility of being relaxed. I am going natural at least once after I have children, but I would probably stay natural if my texture was little bit less kinky.