APL/BSL 2014 Challenge

PlainJane

I haven't posted in forever and haven't been lurking that much either and just haven't been focused on hair at all. And now my ends are suffering. I need to trim this weekend. What type of scissors should I buy?

PlainJane

Also, I've decided to maintain APL throughout my transition because the longer my hair gets, the more stringy and thin my relaxed ends are. 9 months down. 15 more to go!

IslandMummy

He is too cute!

One more week and these braids are coming out; I have a wedding on the 13th and found a natural hair dresser who hopefully won't make me go postal on her

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I haven't posted in forever and haven't been lurking that much either and just haven't been focused on hair at all. And now my ends are suffering. I need to trim this weekend. What type of scissors should I buy?

You can find hair shears at your local BSS or Walmart.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My new wig. It's a synthetic indian wave and it is looooong. I can't wear it to work so it's basically for date nights with my sweetie

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1409416448690.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1409416448690.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 85

felic1

I washed my hair two.days ago. I braided it up using an curl enhancing smoothie. It has never turned out this well before. Perhaps it is melted or I did not use enough previously. Will repurchase.

veesweets

This has not been a good hair weekend for me :nono:

Crochet braids were a fail. First, I should have flat twisted my hair the night before. Doing the flat twisting then installing the hair the same day required more patience than I had yesterday. So I was already tired. Then every time I would go to put more hair in, my own hair would loosen a little. After about 30 minutes and 1/16th of my hair being done, I called it quits and took it down.
I'll try again at some point but I think I'll just go get my hair braided at a shop instead of trying to worry about it myself. The actual installing was easy, but I could tell the style would barely last since my hair would loosen up too quick.

So then I rinsed my hair and decided to try a wash n go. I used SM curl enhancing smoothie and eco styler argan. I'm liking the argan oil much more than the clear or olive. So for definition, its awesome and my hair doesnt feel super hard. Problem is, I didn't use the right moisturizer under. My hair has white flakes ALL OVER THE FRONT :nono: I hate it. My hair did have some white areas when I finished applying but everyone always says it goes away when your hair dries. WRONG! I need to rewash again but I'm really over it right now..

hairqueenny

I am in this challenge!

Current hair length Grazing APL
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning Natural
Goal Month December 2014
Current Reggie and styling choices I currently have no Reggie since I'm starting out but I'm going to start with co washing and dc every week and see how my hair responds
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Pay close attention to my hair while I start to get a Reggie. Protective styling by weaves and wigs for the remaining of the year.
Post a beginning picture

image-1137590624.jpg

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I am in this challenge!

Current hair length Grazing APL
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning Natural
Goal Month December 2014
Current Reggie and styling choices I currently have no Reggie since I'm starting out but I'm going to start with co washing and dc every week and see how my hair responds
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Pay close attention to my hair while I start to get a Reggie. Protective styling by weaves and wigs for the remaining of the year.
Post a beginning picture

Welcome! :)

JosieLynn

idk if i ever entered this challenge, but I was grazing BSL around this time last year then got a "trim" at a salon in January and they cut me back to just past SL. Well I'm finally back to 2in from BSL so I think I can make it by year's end! :)

Current length: grazing BSL ~10in
Fully natural for 4+ years
Goal Month: December
Current Reggie: Wash/DC weekly, protein biweekly, M&S every other day, usually styled in flat-twist up-do, buns.
Plan on pretty much sticking to what works, contemplating a more protective style for the winter, maybe twist extensions so my hair won't have to deal with the weather for the next few months.

Gonna come back and post a pic tomorrow when my hair dries and I can find my length check shirt lol

SpiritJunkie

I'm wearing this full with that has a part as my protective for now. I do bantu knots in the front to blend it in & wear it as a 1/2 wig.

I dc on a regular.

Attachments

• IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2086.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 47

Luscious850

Update:

Crochet install is holding up pretty well. I've gotten so many compliments on it. Still moisturizing daily and oiling every other day. My first was day is tomorrow. I'll be washing with my hair one cleansing conditioner so that I get a 3 in one: shampoo, conditioner, and leave in (if it's not properly rinsed 100% it won't hurt it only helps).

I'm loving this style! I think I've found a protective style staple.

image-3441410890.jpg

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Update:

Crochet install is holding up pretty well. I've gotten so many compliments on it. Still moisturizing daily and oiling every other day. My first was day is tomorrow. I'll be washing with my hair one cleansing conditioner so that I get a 3 in one: shampoo, conditioner, and leave in (if it's not properly rinsed 100% it won't hurt it only helps).

I'm loving this style! I think I've found a protective style staple.

What kind of hair did you use? Sorry if you already mentioned b4...

Luscious850

Thanks girl yours look fab.

Thank you!

Soooo as of yesterday 9/1/14 I've decided to get rid of all of my relaxed, texlaxed, overprocessed hair. My brother has agreed to do the shave-off this Saturday when we're both free. I'll be hiding my hair underneath full wigs until I get a twa I can style. I'm definitely not the transitioning type, I like to just get things over with. Lol. I'm super excited!

With that being said I'll be sitting off on the sidelines drooling over you ladies year end updates! HHJ!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Thank you!

Soooo as of yesterday 9/1/14 I've decided to get rid of all of my relaxed, texlaxed, overprocessed hair. My brother has agreed to do the shave-off this Saturday when we're both free. I'll be hiding my hair underneath full wigs until I get a twa I can style. I'm definitely not the transitioning type, I like to just get things over with. Lol. I'm super excited!

With that being said I'll be sitting off on the sidelines drooling over you ladies year end updates! HHJ!

Oh wow how exciting! How long have you been thinking about going natural? Good luck and I'm sure you will look beautiful.

Luscious850

Oh wow how exciting! How long have you been thinking about going natural? Good luck and I'm sure you will look beautiful.

It was nothing I sat down and really thought about until this week. I would look at natural hair on YouTube just as much as I did relaxed. But it wasn't til I took a good look through my old pictures & my fotki and really assessed my HHJ. I really has to stop, think, and make my decision. I love the idea of a fresh start!

charmtreese

Thank you! Soooo as of yesterday 9/1/14 I've decided to get rid of all of my relaxed, texlaxed, overprocessed hair. My brother has agreed to do the shave-off this Saturday when we're both free. I'll be hiding my hair underneath full wigs until I get a twa I can style. I'm definitely not the transitioning type, I like to just get things over with. Lol. I'm super excited! With that being said I'll be sitting off on the sidelines drooling over you ladies year end updates! HHJ!

I'm excited for you! Keep us updated with progress pics. I love fresh starts.

Fotchygirl

Ladies I'm happy to inform you that I finally got a nice wig cap that isn't tight around my edges at all so I was able to delay relaxing for 2 more weeks since my lace wig now fits my head. People can't believe it's a wig, they think I have a sew-in:lol:. I will relax next week Friday but not sure if I will post for the LC for end of September. I want to wait till end of December to assess whether the wig regimen works better than if my hair is in a sew-in.

Rozlewis

Ladies I'm happy to inform you that I finally got a nice wig cap that isn't tight around my edges at all so I was able to delay relaxing for 2 more weeks since my lace wig now fits my head. People can't believe it's a wig, they think I have a sew-in:lol:. I will relax next week Friday but not sure if I will post for the LC for end of September. I want to wait till end of December to assess whether the wig regimen works better than if my hair is in a sew-in.

Fotchygirl

Which wig cap did you get? Also, which wig do you have? i am trying to get my wig game together for this winter. Thanks!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I hope my Alter ego conditioner comes today, because i really need to wash my hair. I want to see if Alter ego helps with my shedding and tangles.

My bob wig is starting to look rachet so i may end up bunning for the rest of the month. I am getting my hair done sometime next month so I have to look presentable until then. Between all my scarves, headbands, spin pins and my puff cuff I should be able to create some beautiful buns :yep:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
This week has been too long. I'm too tired to do anything to my hair :( Hopefully tomorrow I have enough energy to wash and dc with Alter ego. Oan I found out that my beloved Keracare Humecto contains garlic also. No wonder why my hair barely sheds or breaks when I use it.