APL/BSL 2014 Challenge

iLurk

Hi gals, um im sorta new to posting here I want to get my feet wet joining a challenge. can i join this one? :look:

Some info

Well I'm a relaxed head, I self relax and try to get at least 11 weeks minimum in before I do it again. I don't really know my official length because I fail every single time i try to straighten my hair myself and fear beauticians but when I stretch it I think I am apl and somewhere near my shoulder blades in the back. I wear my hair in braidouts most of the time but I wear wigs whenever I want to have some color in my hair.

i dont have many pics cause like i said i suck at straightening my own hair and havent been to a salon in forever but this one is the closest ive had to straight

and this is how my hair looks

IslandMummy

Hi gals, um im sorta new to posting here I want to get my feet wet joining a challenge. can i join this one? :look: Some info Well I'm a relaxed head, I self relax and try to get at least 11 weeks minimum in before I do it again. I don't really know my official length because I fail every single time i try to straighten my hair myself and fear beauticians but when I stretch it I think I am apl and somewhere near my shoulder blades in the back. I wear my hair in braidouts most of the time but I wear wigs whenever I want to have some color in my hair. i dont have many pics cause like i said i suck at straightening my own hair and havent been to a salon in forever but this one is the closest ive had to straight and this is how my hair looks

Oh my god :love: so thick

Fotchygirl

Hi gals, um im sorta new to posting here I want to get my feet wet joining a challenge. can i join this one? :look:

Some info

Well I'm a relaxed head, I self relax and try to get at least 11 weeks minimum in before I do it again. I don't really know my official length because I fail every single time i try to straighten my hair myself and fear beauticians but when I stretch it I think I am apl and somewhere near my shoulder blades in the back. I wear my hair in braidouts most of the time but I wear wigs whenever I want to have some color in my hair.

i dont have many pics cause like i said i suck at straightening my own hair and havent been to a salon in forever but this one is the closest ive had to straight

Very nice and thick hair, looks natural.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.

Some info

Welcome! :)

Fotchygirl

Evolving78

i believe i started at the beginning of this challenge and chopped my hair off in Feb...oh well. i will never cut my hair again, unless i have to. glad everyone is hanging in there and can't wait to see the end of the year progress.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Im pre pooing with Alter ego right now. I slathered it on my hair and scalp in 4 sections and covered it with a baggy. I sat under the dryer for 25 minutes. Now Im just letting it soak in some more. I am gonna wash it out once I put my baby boy in bed. Sigh. Hopefully the tangles melt and I get done quickly

iLurk

Well ladies I finally got in contact with the beautician I've been trying to reach. I am going to get my hair straightened out tomorrow. Kinda excited because I will finally see my hair at length but nervous.

HairPleezeGrow your flexiset looks nice

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Well ladies I finally got in contact with the beautician I've been trying to reach. I am going to get my hair straightened out tomorrow. Kinda excited because I will finally see my hair at length but nervous.

That's awesome iLurk...can't wait to see your pics. I hope you have a wonderful experience and please share it with us. And thanks girl

Fotchygirl

Hope it goes well for you iLurk cos it didn't go that way for me at all. First I went to this trusted stylist for a consultation 2 weeks ago and I told her exactly what I wanted her to do on my touch-up day ( rollerset instead of direct heat, gentleness, no trimming since I had trimmed myself already etc,etc) and she agreed.

What happened when I got there was completely different, first she only applied Vaseline on my scalp and nothing on my previously relaxed hair. Secondly she was parting my hair so roughly and combing it with a fine brush( the hairs that came out!), thirdly she got the relaxer all over my hair and not on the NG only, then she used a different relaxer which burned my scalp. She then washed my hair and combed it so roughly before trimming 2 inches off, then came the blow dryer and the brushes for a blow out, I was just shocked to silence. She completely ignored everything I said and now my hair is shorter than it was in July and so thin.

I have to start afresh and my hair had made so much progress. No more stylists for me after this.

iLurk

Hope it goes well for you @iLurk cos it didn't go that way for me at all. First I went to this trusted stylist for a consultation 2 weeks ago and I told her exactly what I wanted her to do on my touch-up day ( rollerset instead of direct heat, gentleness, no trimming since I had trimmed myself already etc,etc) and she agreed.

What happened when I got there was completely different, first she only applied Vaseline on my scalp and nothing on my previously relaxed hair. Secondly she was parting my hair so roughly and combing it with a fine brush( the hairs that came out!), thirdly she got the relaxer all over my hair and not on the NG only, then she used a different relaxer which burned my scalp. She then washed my hair and combed it so roughly before trimming 2 inches off, then came the blow dryer and the brushes for a blow out, I was just shocked to silence. She completely ignored everything I said and now my hair is shorter than it was in July and so thin.

I have to start afresh and my hair had made so much progress. No more stylists for me after this.

Wow smh. :sad: Hang in there. This is part of the reason I started self relaxing. when I let others do it they would slap the relaxer on everywhere and not to mention just plain rough for no reason and have hairs breaking off before the relaxer even touched my hair. One thing I always did though before letting anybody try to put relaxer in though was pre-base my own scalp and hair before I would go in. So even if they did do a lazy base job I'd still have some layers of protection.

The stylist I go to I've known for years but just stopped going and haven't seen her in years. Doesn't make me any less nervous though she is sorta scissor happy and if she even see's 1 strand that's uneven she's ready to chop 5 inches off. And since I am 10 wks post I am taking precautions by combing out my hair a little now so she doesnt go to war with my head trying to detangle tomorrow.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Hope it goes well for you iLurk cos it didn't go that way for me at all. First I went to this trusted stylist for a consultation 2 weeks ago and I told her exactly what I wanted her to do on my touch-up day ( rollerset instead of direct heat, gentleness, no trimming since I had trimmed myself already etc,etc) and she agreed.

Omgosh you will recover I have no doubt. It is so hard to find good stylist that cares about our hair period. Sorry for your setback. Don't go back there again.

Fotchygirl

Thanks ladies, there is just no ways I could ever go back there. It is really difficult to find someone who cares about hair where I stay since everyone here thinks a thin SL is very long. I really trusted this lady though, don't know why since her hair has been the same length since I've known her!

iLurk

Just wrapping up my salon visit and I'm kinda impressed is the first time I've ever been the only person there so I am getting in and out. And my beautician hasn't pulled the scissors out although she did ask when the last time my ends were clipped. Haven't seen the finished product yet but my hair feels so lightweight now

iLurk

Alright so I'm back. looks like I'm at full apl but idk how happy I am about it because it seems like I haven't gained anything and been at this stage forever. She did give me an end dusting. She asked when I'll be back but for that i'll wait. i dont like heat being applied so often to my hair and I'm just not a fan on bone straight hair makes me feel fat x_x

but here's a pic

NefertariBlu

Your hair looks lush. I'm still protective styling and my hair seems to be stuck between 10-11 inches. Last year I was nearer to Apl than this year. I'm not sure what's happening. My hair hasn't grown much since the beginning of this challenge. I've not retained any growth. I'm feeling so discouraged right now.

The back was 8 3/4 in January. Is now 9 inches. My sides near my ears were 9 1/2 inches they are now 10.

The middle was 10in January and is now between 11 and 13 and the rest of my hair is between 10 and 11 inches.

Not sure what's going wrong

hairqueenny

I went to get a weave installed yesterday and took a pic of my current length after being blow dried. The stylist said my hair looks healthy and my end are in good shape. I didn't clip my ends because she said they didn't need it but I'm considering getting them clipped in about 8 weeks when I take down this install. I'm excited because I like her and think I found a stylist!! Here are some pictures of my current length

image-3755397491.jpg

image-130135593.jpg

Here is my install

image-1816557036.jpg

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Alright so I'm back. looks like I'm at full apl but idk how happy I am about it because it seems like I haven't gained anything and been at this stage forever. She did give me an end dusting. She asked when I'll be back but for that i'll wait. i dont like heat being applied so often to my hair and I'm just not a fan on bone straight hair makes me feel fat x_x

but here's a pic

Your hair looks so full and gorgeous! APL is a gr8 accomplishment. You will surpass this hump and get to BSL.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I went to get a weave installed yesterday and took a pic of my current length after being blow dried. The stylist said my hair looks healthy and my end are in good shape. I didn't clip my ends because she said they didn't need it but I'm considering getting them clipped in about 8 weeks when I take down this install. I'm excited because I like her and think I found a stylist!! Here are some pictures of my current length

Here is my install

Beautiful thick hair as well. Love your install and glad you found someone you can trust.