Apl 2016 Challenge

faithVA

Aww thanks :blush2: :rose: Can I ask, Faith, if you are currently NL or if you just haven't updated your siggy in a while? If so, was it because you've been trimming it often? I know you were dusting heavily a while ago. You stood out to me because you struggled with dryness like mine in the old threads. Lol. Sorry I'm asking all up in your hair business.
I'm still somewhere between NL and SL. My hair is longer in some sections than it was in my siggy but unless I straighten you can't tell it.

I have been trimming and have experienced breakage from some damaged ends. I think I'm past that finally.

The front of my hair does not appear to be growing much or its breaking as fast as its growing. Who knows.

I'm not struggling with dryness as much. Not sure why that is either :lol:

Ask away. I have nothing to hide about my hair.

I know my hair is longer than it was in January but I don't know how much I have retained. When I reach SL I will start measuring.

EzrasNumberOneFan

TheLORDisMyShepherd
I'm still somewhere between NL and SL. My hair is longer in some sections than it was in my siggy but unless I straighten you can't tell it.

I have been trimming and have experienced breakage from some damaged ends. I think I'm past that finally.

The front of my hair does not appear to be growing much or its breaking as fast as its growing. Who knows.

I'm not struggling with dryness as much. Not sure why that is either :lol:

Ask away. I have nothing to hide about my hair.

I know my hair is longer than it was in January but I don't know how much I have retained. When I reach SL I will start measuring.

How is your diet? Do you drink enough water, do you get B vitamins, are you eating enough protein? I recommend eggs. Do you know if your iron is where its supposed to be at? Vitamin D? Hmm... how long have you been growing it out?

faithVA

How is your diet? Do you drink enough water, do you get B vitamins, are you eating enough protein? I recommend eggs. Do you know if your iron is where its supposed to be at? Vitamin D? Hmm... how long have you been growing it out?
I have checked into all of that. I've done all the doctors visits, supplements, water, etc. I've been at this for years. I'm beyond trying to get it to grow any faster or reduce breakage. I've done the list and the trends. I almost blacked out trying to invert :lol:

It's just going to be what it's going to be.

EzrasNumberOneFan

TheLORDisMyShepherd
I have checked into all of that. I've done all the doctors visits, supplements, water, etc. I've been at this for years. I'm beyond trying to get it to grow any faster or reduce breakage. I've done the list and the trends. I almost blacked out trying to invert :lol:

It's just going to be what it's going to be.

Okay. I just want you to get good results/growth because you're always nice and responsive to everybody and you've helped a lot of other people on here to succeed. I think some length is in store. I guess I just want God to bless you because you've been such a blessing to others and its your turn in my opinion. I know you may be comfortable with your results, and I hope I'm not opening an old wound, but I'm rooting for you! I will really pray for you, Faith. I'll ask the LORD to bless your head. He already has, but this time with the things you haven't been able to do yet. And thanks for giving me something of substance to pray about tonight. Let's reach apl ;)

faithVA

Okay. I just want you to get good results/growth because you're always nice and responsive to everybody and you've helped a lot of other people on here to succeed. I think some length is in store. I guess I just want God to bless you because you've been such a blessing to others and its your turn in my opinion. I know you may be comfortable with your results, and I hope I'm not opening an old wound, but I'm rooting for you! I will really pray for you, Faith. I'll ask the LORD to bless your head. He already has, but this time with the things you haven't been able to do yet. And thanks for giving me something of substance to pray about tonight. Let's reach apl ;)
Aw thanks. You are so sweet. It's going to be great having you around.

Not that I don't appreciate your prayers but um, can you pray that God takes away this gray hair and gives me back my brown or black hair. I would be willing to stay at SL if I can get rid of the gray :yep:

EzrasNumberOneFan

TheLORDisMyShepherd
Aw thanks. You are so sweet. It's going to be great having you around.

Not that I don't appreciate your prayers but um, can you pray that God takes away this gray hair and gives me back my brown or black hair. I would be willing to stay at SL if I can get rid of the gray :yep:

Hahaha I'm going to pray He gives you what you're looking for for your crown. So its up to your heart. Lol! But I would say grey is a blessing.

EzrasNumberOneFan

TheLORDisMyShepherd
It's not a blessing :nono:

Stop playing! I want mine all white. Its just that yours is salt and pepper right now. Living long enough to have them is a blessing though, seriously. It might not be that "fashionable" yet though. Lol

Alright, off to prayer and sleep. I'm in this thread from now till' apl. :happydance:

Last edited:

Aggie

Just sprayed my hair with NW Excel 21, massage for a minute or two, and did a 5 minute inversion. Today was Day 6 of my inversions - one more to go. Earlier I moisturized my hair with APB Hair Pudding and sealed with evoo.

Wenbev

I love, love, love crochet braids! It's a great PS. Your hair is totally protected but your scalp can still breath. It's also cheap and easy to do at home. :D
I'm going to attempt it. bought some crochet hair and a hook. will attempt over christmas. how long on average does your install take. Any tips or tricks for easy install?
For now, decided to wash, blow and flat iron. Washed with aveda brilliant shampoo, aveda dm and some leftover hydrating conditioner to counteract the aveda dm. tshirt dried, used the last of the redken smooth heat glide and some aveda heat protectant on the ends.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Thank y'all! I'm trying to get it together I really am. Lost my mommy three years ago as well.
So maintenance is actually awesome! It truly is....I typically have been wearing nothing but washin gos. The last couple days I did throw on a wig but it'll be back in a wash n go soon.

Pygmy_puff

I'm going to attempt it. bought some crochet hair and a hook. will attempt over christmas. how long on average does your install take. Any tips or tricks for easy install?
For now, decided to wash, blow and flat iron. Washed with aveda brilliant shampoo, aveda dm and some leftover hydrating conditioner to counteract the aveda dm. tshirt dried, used the last of the redken smooth heat glide and some aveda heat protectant on the ends.

I'm a little embarrassed to say, but it took me almost 8 hours to do my first crochet install. The problem was that I am a rudimentary braider at best, and I was trying a kind of complicated braiding pattern. Took me like 3 hours just to braid my hair! :drunk: My advice would be, depending on the type of crochet hair you bought, stick to 8-10 cornrows going straight back. If your (natural) hair is long and your cornrows are dangling at your nape, you can use weave thread and a needle to sew them down. It's much easier this way then trying to connect the ends into the next braid. Only downside is you can't wear it in a ponytail. To create a "part" use the weave thread to connnect two adjacent cornrows at the top of your head where you want your part to be. If you are decent at cornrowing then installing it should go faster for you. I've done it so many times and now I can finish an install in 5 ish hours, including cornrowing time. I'm still a struggle braider, but what's great about crochet is that your braids can be meh and the style will still look great! HTH!

ETA: I only ever use Freetress Water Wave hair, so I don't know how applicable all this is to other types of bulk hair or braids!

Wenbev

I'm a little embarrassed to say, but it took me almost 8 hours to do my first crochet install. The problem was that I am a rudimentary braider at best, and I was trying a kind of complicated braiding pattern. Took me like 3 hours just to braid my hair! :drunk: My advice would be, depending on the type of crochet hair you bought, stick to 8-10 cornrows going straight back. If your (natural) hair is long and your cornrows are dangling at your nape, you can use weave thread and a needle to sew them down. It's much easier this way then trying to connect the ends into the next braid. Only downside is you can't wear it in a ponytail. To create a "part" use the weave thread to connnect two adjacent cornrows at the top of your head where you want your part to be. If you are decent at cornrowing then installing it should go faster for you. I've done it so many times and now I can finish an install in 5 ish hours, including cornrowing time. I'm still a struggle braider, but what's great about crochet is that your braids can be meh and the style will still look great! HTH!

ETA: I only ever use Freetress Water Wave hair, so I don't know how applicable all this is to other types of bulk hair or braids!
Thank you so much! I was definitely underestimating the time. I think I'll wash/dry/cornrow one day and install the next to break it up

GGsKin

Yesterday, I finally got round to washing my hair. I rinsed and DCd with AOWC. Clay washed with my DIY mix. Oiled (grapeseed and jojoba) and steamed in the shower before a final rinse, and styled with diluted KCCC. I braided the front in two and linked the braids. The back is hanging free, still drying. I do plan on putting it up later.

Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Ya'll please don't throw me out. Here are pics of my progress thus far:

I know this is the APL Challenge, but Aggie's FABULOUS results (post #569 of this thread) convinced me to get off the fence and jump on trying inversions. Results like these need to be bumped and bumped. Her progress photos are so inspiring. Sigh...so pretty!:kiss3: The whole thread is uplifting and encouraging.

Last edited: