APL/BSL 2014 Challenge

Luscious850

HairPleezeGrow ok I brought in a pic this time.

I wanted to show the over processed bone straight relaxed hair..

so while my hair was air drying I kept combing through my hair so that the texlaxed hair won't curl up and blend in with the over processed hair & you'd be able to see the difference between the two textures.

image-3622298529.jpg

So the plan is to eventually just grow out the over processed hair then clip them off. It just sucks that the two textures react differently to some products due to the difference in porosity.

Eta: the hair 60% air dried in the pic

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.

so while my hair was air drying I kept combing through my hair so that the texlaxed hair won't curl up and blend in with the over processed hair & you'd be able to see the difference between the two textures.

So the plan is to eventually just grow out the over processed hair then clip them off. It just sucks that the two textures react differently to some products due to the difference in porosity.

Thanks for sharing. Yes keep with the protein and moisture dcs. True about the porosity but try your best so you don't get breakage. Do you rollerset? Would love to see a set of yours. That may help you as well until you get rid of the bone str8 pieces.

felic1

HairPleezeGrow Sometimes I want your screen name. It just says what I feel. I am going to gift myself with that Komaza hair evaluaton and see if I can improve
my hair care regimen. I hope I can do it before or in September. If I am having difficulties in reaching true APL then something I am doing is wrong. I am glad to face that.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
HairPleezeGrow Sometimes I want your screen name. It just says what I feel. I am going to gift myself with that Komaza hair evaluaton and see if I can improve
my hair care regimen. I hope I can do it before or in September. If I am having difficulties in reaching true APL then something I am doing is wrong. I am glad to face that.

Yes I love Komaza (what I've tried). You will find what works for you and then stick with it. Do you do styles where your hair is protected like buns or updos and pinned back or up off the shoulders? May e you're having too much friction with your clothes, etc. Crochet braids are also a gr8 protective style you can do to hide your hair for a bit.

Fotchygirl

View attachment 272801

My hair is also like yours but I ain't cutting my bone str8 pieces lol, just gonna be extra careful with them.

Luscious850

Thanks for sharing. Yes keep with the protein and moisture dcs. True about the porosity but try your best so you don't get breakage. Do you rollerset? Would love to see a set of yours. That may help you as well until you get rid of the bone str8 pieces.

I try to keep my hair in styles that blend the two textures. I don't have a pic of my roller sets, I'll take a pic of my next set. Today I wore a braidout which is another curly style I love.

Front View
image-2388853726.jpg
Side View
image-3733506509.jpg

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I try to keep my hair in styles that blend the two textures. I don't have a pic of my roller sets, I'll take a pic of my next set. Today I wore a braidout which is another curly style I love.

Side View

Front View

Lol. It'll take some time before it grows out so I guess I'll have to do the same. I just hate the look.

Your braidouts are lovely. Such nice definition and your hair looks so soft.

Fotchygirl

Lol. It'll take some time before it grows out so I guess I'll have to do the same. I just hate the look.
That is why I'm considering doing a weave or braids in the next few weeks because dealing with these diff textures is tiring. I'm scared for my already non-existent hairline though.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I bought some Neutrogena Silk touch leave in today. I have been using Hello Hydration as a moisturizer, but it is a little too heavy for my straight hair. I haven't used Silk touch since I was relaxed years ago. I hope it doesn't revert my hair. If I remember correctly it is a watery consistency

Last edited:

Mjon912

Still here, finally took out my braids, I had them In from the middle of May to the middle of August but my hair was fine, no extensions only my own hair and I wash/rebraided ever 2 weeks. Unfortunately all of my hair items are still in storage and I had to borrow a blow dryer and flat iron from my SIL, it looks like I'm past APL but I'm not sure =/ and since I never could get my hair straight without rollersetig I'm a poofy mess and will have to wait until I can wash and set to length check BUT...
WHO ELSE IS EXCITED FOR FALL!!!
Really tho, I washed and added a clear rinse and my hair feels so silky, smells like Heaven and looks so shiny. I totally forgot I used to do that when I was relaxed every month, I'm definitely going to start that back up

Last edited:

lindseyerinc

Just tried shea moisture purification masque. Didnt make my hair feel great. But no hair came out when I was detangling. I'll have to use it again to see if I really like it.

Luscious850

So starting today I've incorporated a homemade sulfur oil into my regimen. Hopefully that will boost my growth from APL to BSL by the end of the year.

Tonight I'm prepooing overnight with amla oil in preparation for my wash day tomorrow.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
It was super humid last night and dh and I were at a patio bar. My hair went from flat to frizzy to fro in about 2 hours. Im so sad, because I won't be getting my hair done again for a couple months.

I wore a flexirod curled messy bun to work today. It was big. I got a lot of "is that all your hair" questions... Must have been a pretty bun :yay:

Last edited:

Luscious850

Sooo today was wash day!

I rinsed out my prepoo (Amla oil), shampooed twice with a moisturizing shampoo (design essentials), did a light protein (aphogee 2-min), then DCed with a ceramide dc (silicon mix). My leave-ins were aphogee, silicon mix, and chi silk infusion.

I'm air drying now.

image-2249146343.jpg

My hair feels butter soft. All this TLC it's receiving is paying off.

I'll be moisturizing with ors moisturizing lotion and sealing with grapeseed oil.

After I moisturize & seal I'll be massaging in my sulfur mix and starting day 1 of 7 of the inversion method.

Luscious850

It was super humid last night and dh and I were at a patio bar. My hair went from flat to frizzy to fro in about 2 hours. Im so sad, because I won't be getting my hair done again for a couple months. I wore a flexirod curled messy bun to work today. It was big. I got a lot of "is that all your hair" questions... Must have been a pretty bun :yay:
I can't wait til my buns are that thick and lush :love: !! How long will you rock the rod set?

SpiritJunkie

Hi Ladies!

I'm new to this challenge. A little late but I want in. I just came out of wearing weave for a good year or so. Attached is my 'beginning" which is end of July.

Current hair length
shoulder length

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning
Natural

Goal Month
December 2014

Current Reggie and styling choices
deep conditioning/daily moisturizing/coconut oil to seal/vitamins msm/biotin/silica/multi

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL?
not doing tight weaves. minimize heat

Post a beginning picture

Attachments

• hair pics july 2014.jpg
    hair pics july 2014.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 80

veesweets

Only thing stopping me from trying to install some crochet braids is my lack of cornrow skills..can I just flat twist my hair or would that not be secure enough?

pearlific1

Only thing stopping me from trying to install some crochet braids is my lack of cornrow skills..can I just flat twist my hair or would that not be secure enough?
I can't cornrow to save my life. Every set of crochet braids I've installed have been on flat twists. If you can do some pretty mean, small flat twists, it does work. My installs only last about 3 weeks because my twists start to loosen up a bit.

veesweets

I can't cornrow to save my life. Every set of crochet braids I've installed have been on flat twists. If you can do some pretty mean, small flat twists, it does work. My installs only last about 3 weeks because my twists start to loosen up a bit.

Thanks! Can't exactly say my flat twists skills are that great either lol but definitely better. Maybe I'll wait until Labor Day weekend to try so I have a full 3 days in case I need to take it down right away. If I can get two weeks out of them I'll be happy

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Luscious850 My curls have already fallen, but today is wash day anyway. At least it lasted the whole weekend :yep:

I just left my fave bss and they have everything...including independent brands and Dominican products. Im glad my pj days are over lol. I got a bottle of old faithful Keracare Humecto and Keracare detangling shampoo.

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Yesterday was wash day. I used Keracare detangling shampoo for the first time and I really liked it. The smell reminds me of the original creme of nature shampoo. Then I used humecto while I showered. I washed my hair in 4 sections. Then I detangled and braided my hair. Today I styled my (celie) braids in a bun. Pics below

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1408489110928.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1408489110928.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 75

Luscious850

Prettymetty your hair thickness is so on point! Love it!

Quick update: still working on my shedding. I might break down and buy garlic supplements this weekend. My hair can't survive all this hair loss.

I was going back and forth trying to figure out whether or not I should length check this week (I'll be one mo. post) because I didn't want to apply heat to my hair. But with my hair in such a fragile state I think it's important I keep a record of how my hair is doing so I know what's working and what's not. On my relaxer day I was on line 6 on my length shirt.

Honestly, with all the breakage and shedding I'm nervous.

Fotchygirl

Yesterday was wash day. I used Keracare detangling shampoo for the first time and I really liked it. The smell reminds me of the original creme of nature shampoo. Then I used humecto while I showered. I washed my hair in 4 sections. Then I detangled and braided my hair. Today I styled my (celie) braids in a bun. Pics below
I also did these braids in order to put them under my wig but my wig was just not having it. I need to buy a bigger wig.

Fotchygirl

Prettymetty your hair thickness is so on point! Love it!

Quick update: still working on my shedding. I might break down and buy garlic supplements this weekend. My hair can't survive all this hair loss.

I was going back and forth trying to figure out whether or not I should length check this week (I'll be one mo. post) because I didn't want to apply heat to my hair. But with my hair in such a fragile state I think it's important I keep a record of how my hair is doing so I know what's working and what's not. On my relaxer day I was on line 6 on my length shirt.

Honestly, with all the breakage and shedding I'm nervous.
Buy them and do those tea rinses as well, anything to bring back the balance to your hair.