• will dry out your hair!

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • generally suck!

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Other.....

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters

JustKiya

I don't know if this is true, but for some reason, I remember hearing/reading somewhere that foam rollers are bad for your hair - they suck out moisture, or some such? :look:
I'm considering trying new things with my hair, and I have some foam rollers and some perm rods from back in the day still - but I'd hate to dry my hair out trying to use them.....

Forever in Bloom

Hi JK :wave:

I heard the same thing, and I find it to be true if you sleep with them overnight. It seemed like I would always have to reapply more moisturizer. I would get a curl, but still had to add more moisture :look: So then I began using those little roller set papers first. Before I did the bc, I did purchase a lot of the foam rollers with satin already on them, and they seemed to work better. I wouldn't say foam rollers are bad, but there are alternatives.

JustKiya

Hehe - yeah, but I'm cheap. ;) I figure if I can experiment with something I already own, that's better than buying something new for a style I might not like/be able to pull off/want to redo, ya know?

Hrm, and the addition of rolling papers makes it too much of a hassle. :lol:

Hairsofab

I used foam rollers for a long time. I would put roller tissue paper around them. I think even with the protection it still caused a lot of breakage for me.

bermudabeauty

sponge rollers are bad for you. Think about it what do sponges do they soak up stuff.. so....the sponges are soaking up the moisture in your hair. I wouldn't use them.

KnottyGurl

Sponge rollers, in general, have been bad for my hair. The ONLY exception I've found is the Caruso.:yep: The rollers are sponge, and you can put end papers on them if you want, but they don't dry my hair out at all. I think it's because of the light steam coming from them and the fact that I don't leave them on longer than 30 minutes while I'm getting dressed. HTH

bbdgirl

I always heard that they will dry out your hair. I still use them but now I always use end papers. they are really great to wear to sleep in overnight and give great body curls

DivaD04

i have the satin foam rollers that aren't drying to the hair

Attachments

• satin rollers.jpg
    satin rollers.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

JustKiya

Urmph. :ohwell:

Oh, well, in the trash (or the craft bin, more likely) they go, then!

HRm, I'll have to dig out the perm rods and see how they work. :lol:

DivaD04

Urmph. :ohwell:

Oh, well, in the trash (or the craft bin, more likely) they go, then!

HRm, I'll have to dig out the perm rods and see how they work. :lol:

girls keep 'em if you have time to sew satin...it's so easy the way hype hair did it...just a suggestion

JustKiya

girls keep 'em if you have time to sew satin...it's so easy the way hype hair did it...just a suggestion
Just make little satin 'pillowcases' for them? :lol:

Hrm, yeah, I might - might never go through the effort, but I'll keep them around. I've been lugging them bad boys all over the place since college, no need to stop now. :lachen:

DivaD04

Just make little satin 'pillowcases' for them? :lol:

Hrm, yeah, I might - might never go through the effort, but I'll keep them around. I've been lugging them bad boys all over the place since college, no need to stop now. :lachen:

lol...hey you never know if ur ever bored enough to whip out some satin for 'em, heck that's how hype hair got my money...so shoot i didn't even think of it so someone is always on their money.

adora721

Buy plastic wrap and wrap it around each sponge/foam curlers. The plastic protects the hair from the sponge surface so it can't dry out your hair. Just don't use heat because of the plastic. You don't need end papers either and the plastic wrap lasts for quite a while before you have to change the wrapping. I discovered this several months ago and it's worked great.

KnottyGurl

Hmmmmmm...That's definitely something worth looking into.:yep: I may have to buy some rollers:grin:

Buy plastic wrap and wrap it around each sponge/foam curlers. The plastic protects the hair from the sponge surface so it can't dry out your hair. Just don't use heat because of the plastic. You don't need end papers either and the plastic wrap lasts for quite a while before you have to change the wrapping. I discovered this several months ago and it's worked great.

sprungonhairboards

I use them. They're the ONLY thing that makes my hair hold a curl on a dry set. I use end papers over them but I think Imma try plastic wrap.

Twisties

I voted other. For whatever reason, I recently found that after I flat iron my hair, foam rollers (with end papers) were the ONLY rollers that gave me lasting curls. I didn't experience any breakage or dryness issues with the end papers.

I do think if used without a protective cover of some type the other issues/problems will come up.

I really like the suggestion to cover with plastic wrap, that should work very well too (thanks adora721). I will try that when I start flat ironing again.

AtlantaJJ

i have the satin foam rollers that aren't drying to the hair
I have some of the Satin covered foam rollers which should make them totally safe, the are a dream to sleep in compared to other rollers... I have a gang of them just waiting for me to grow some hair to use them with :laugh:

I think they are great!

AtlantaJJ

Hey! This is a great solution for exisiting foam roller... OP Kiya you are goiing to love foam rollers, they are great for natural hair. I used to use them when I was younger with end papers, you can get some really cute styles or liven up an older twist out / braid out....etc

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I never had a problem with foam rollers. The only rollers that I had problem with were magnetic ones. I guess everybody's hair is different.:yawn:

lilsparkle825

THAT IS HELLA SMART!!!

and to think, i was just about to say the only way i use them is by removing the foam and using the plastic piece like a straw set...

plastic

i heard they dry out the hair, but i still plan to use mine

Maybe I can get satin ribbon and wrap it around my rollers and glue it on and make satin sponge rollers .. hmmm

lovedone_24

You CAN NOT comb your hair with a straight up foam (no tissue) set. When you do it will seem as if your ends are chewed. I experimented with this wishing I hadn't. That's why I know it's time for a sew-in because I do not know what to do with myself.

Sunshine0801

I actually used tissue paper on foam rollers and didn't experience any dryness.

My hair gets its tightest and longest lasting curls with foam rollers.

Lindy

I am a very faithful foam roller user! I wear my hair curly most of the time, so I use them just about every night, and they give me glorious curls!! I always wrap the sponge part in end papers, but I may try using the plastic wrap, it sounds like a good idea. :yep: