foam rollers

Desert Skye

I want to start sleeping with hair rollers so i was about to buy some foam rollers but i heard somewhere they are not good because they absorb moisture. Is this really true?

jainygirl

I've heard that foam rollers arent good for your hair but not sure of the exact reason why. But at least you found out before purchasing them. I'm thinking it may just be the friction of your hair on the roller while your sleeping that is bad so maybe using endpapers will get rid of this friction. There are so many other things to use to keep your hair curly. You should check out Kitchen_tician's album. She is always trying out nice curly styles and gives info on how she maintains her look.
HTH -- jainygirl

good2uuuu

Sponge rollers will dry out and break off your hair, but if you use end papers and make sure they are covering the hair well, and don't roll tightly, you should be ok. The best option though, if you can find them, is the satin covered sponge rollers. I have no idea where to find them, but I'm sure someone here does.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Foam rollers soak up the moisture from your ends. They also snag your hair (even with end papers). I think you should try to find the satin covered foam rollers they are kinder to your hair. I found some made by conair that are covered. I use them to make my daughter's curly ponytails.

Try Target or Kmart.

Neroli

Goody and Hype Hair are the two brands that make satin covered rollers for around $6 for 20 at walmart and walgreens. I got my at walmart, Hype Hair brand in black, large size. I don't sleep in them because they make may hair too curly -- I only need them in for about 15 - 30 minutes in order to get a little body and bounce. They are GREAT when I put in about 4 or 5 first thing in the morning and my hair is perfect to finger comb by the time I leave about 30 minutes later.

BTW, I now keep 4 or 5 in the car and at the office for "emergencies" when the fizzies hit -- I pop them in for 15 - 30 minutes (with my office door closed!) or while I'm driving to my destination. I'm really loving them for the quick and easy on the go fix-it!

oglorious1

Mixologist
I second the satin, my ex-boyfriend's sister uses them, and she wonders why her hair is not long...I said to myself, sponge rollers are so over with

Victorian

old head
I used foam rollers for a while in middle/junior high. I used end papers or saran wrap actually (stays on better and it's easy to take the rollers out). I imagine if you didn't cover them with anything they would break your ends. I didn't have any problem with them though *shrug* But I had never seen/heard of satin rollers though. Those sound pretty nice. Since this is a new purchase anyway, you may as well go with satin

msincognito

If you are looking for satin rollers try CVS, I saw some there while I was browsing last week. Let us know how it turns out if you use them.

Aerie17

Please, save your hair. Foam rollers are a no, no! They will pull hair strands out. I haven't been able to find the satin rollers nor the satin scrunchies, but I suggest we both keep looking. No, no, no to foam!!!

kitchen_tician

Yes, I love the satin rollers and before I found the satin ones, I wore the regular foam rollers for years. I would ALWAYS use end papers to protect my hair.

You must be careful not to put too much hair on the roller if you're going to sleep in them. This will avoid the excess hair from wrapping around and getting tangled in the plastic part.

I was always told that sponge rollers are very drying, but I've never experienced any drying, because I always use oil on my hair anyway. I only use them once every 2 weeks and occasionally in between the 2 week period, if I want more curls.

I'm a "satin sponge rolling fool"!!!

inthepink

I agree with what everyone else said. Stay away from the foam rollers. If you use end papers, they should probably be ok once in a whle.

auntybe

I have some foam rollers, I don't really use them much. They do zap the moisture from your hair. If I were you I would purchase the satin ones. They will be much better for your hair.

Desert Skye

thanks so much everyone for answering. I went looking all over for satin rollers i cant find them
I live in nyc anyone know a store in nyc that have them??

Neroli

Just to be clear, look for SATIN COVERED FOAM ROLLERS by either "Hype Hair" or "Goody's" -- there may be other brands as well. I'm in Atlanta and I found them at walmart and walgreens . . .

Desert Skye

thanks neroli!

i was thinking if i have that hard of a time finding it, maybe i should just get some foam rollers and cover it with satin myself. is that a good idea?

Desert Skye

i gave up on looking for satin covered foam rollers...instead i made them myself. I bought some foam rollers, got an old satin scarf and sew it onto the rollers. I tried them on my hair and my hair likes it. hehe