Any thoughts on Maximum Hydration Method

luckiestdestiny

Did anyone post this? It's her pics and results. I already hydrate my hair (over) but it's completely different and faster than this (this would be too time consuming for me). BUT her hair looks to be in great shape. I have not tried this method and am not 4c (I am 4a) but anyways thought I'd share for those who may wish to see her hair and results:

http://www.msdeekay.com/4143/max-hydration-method-feature-pinkecube/

pincecube-maxhydration-testimony-after-4chair

How long have you been natural?

I began my natural hair journey as of June 2006, so 7 years.

Why did you decide to go natural and what is your experience being natural.

Well, my mom decided I would no longer perm my hair after a mishap with the perm being over processed. I fell in love with my natural hair, but for a couple of years didn’t really know how to style it other than getting braided extensions or getting my own hair corn rolled.

The TWA stage was the hardest, me being at school, I would get teased and I really resented not being able to put my hair in a ponytail. So as soon as my hair was long enough I got braids all the time, thinking that the braids and cornrolls would help make my hair longer and that as soon as I was older, I would be able to get my next perm and put my hair in a long ponytail.

I remember one day I had taken my cornrolls out for the week, and when I saw the “cornroll out” thought it looked nice and wore it around the house. I always missed my loose hair, wishing I would wear it like that to school. But I thought people would think it was weird and think I didn’t do my hair. It was always like that, my hair became like this secret that I was beginning to privately appreciate and love. There was this one time after I washed my hair. I looked in the mirror and that was the first time I really sat down and thought, “oh, my hair is really curly! These are some really tiny curls! Wow!” I wore it around the house all day, a bit disappointed the curls went away after my hair started to dry and kept rewetting my hair, lol. That was the first thing that got me fascinated enough about my hair, and made me start getting curious and doing research.

I was very fond of youtube and found people with long or well styled natural hair, like longhairdontcare2011, Beautifulbrownbabydoll, SimplYounique, Hair Crush, mahoganycurls, FusionofCultures, Rustic Beauty.

These people made me realize I didn’t have to perm my hair to be able to wear it out and style it. I became aware of the term “natural hair” as well, and started learning how to care for my hair and I absolutely loved it. Relaxing was in the past, I was going to focus on getting my natural hair healthy, long and learn how to manage it.

What’s your hair type, porosity, texture, length?
I have low porosity, low density, fine stranded, 4c hair. The hair at my nape is 4a, and I have some few 4b strands near the front where my bangs are. But for the most part, my hair is 4c.

Some of your struggles (if any) being natural before MHM .

As I did my youtube search and experimented and got comfortable with my hair, issues were starting to arise.

I loved my hair, but was always unsatisfied with my hair’s growth rate and results in time consuming hair styles. I also felt like my hair wouldn’t grow if I didn’t protective style all the time, and that really took a lot of the enjoyment out of my hair journey. With the way my hair grew, longer in the back, and shorter on the rest of my head, I didn’t enjoy wearing my hair out because it always looked like a mullet. I hated the fact only the looser section of my hair grew faster. I would also constantly find information that said if I didn’t protective style my hair wouldn’t grow, which I found frustrating. Especially because of my fine strands, many of the time braids would cause the hair in the front to break.

When I tried wearing styles I went into my product junkie phase, trying to figure out what I was doing wrong because all my styles came out pretty badly. I hated spending 5-6 hours twisting or styling my hair only for the style to look like I just rolled out of bed. My best hair days were the only pictures I took of my hair, and even those days left me unsatisfied. I began to feel a rift at this point, because I became more aware that the advice being given wasn’t for my 4c hair, and it never would work. Even the few 4c naturals on youtube, either they wore their hair in protective styles all the time, or they had super massive, dense amounts of hair meant they could pull off styles I couldn’t.

I looked up videos and became intrigued about wash n go’s. They just seemed easier and less time consuming, although days I really tried to get definition turned out to be just as time consuming. I got less tangles and knots from them, despite how people usually said the opposite. Maybe because the results were so bad that I had to redo my hair everyday, that could have prevented me from getting knots. Most of all, I liked my shrinkage because it made my hair seem fuller, even though I still kind of had a mullet shape, because of the different levels of shrinkage. It was when I first experimented with ecostyler gel in wash n go’s that my journey took a turn for the worst.

What Inspired you to create the Maximum Hydration Regimen?

Well, my fiddling with wash n go’s lead me to buying ecostyler gel, due to the many praises and recommendations this got from youtubers. It ended with a bald spot. There was one big about the size of a nickle, and then some general thinning that was starting to spread. I switched to wetline and had the same results. I just hated my hair then, it was very frustrating. 6 years natural down the drain for some gel that didn’t even give good results. Why did it have that effect on my hair but not others? I later realized it was the ingredients in the gel, that wasn’t suitable for my fine, dry hair strands.

The great changing effect of my journey was not until September 2013– it was almost a year of just dealing with having a bald spot. I tried all the oils, vitamins, massaging, and protective styling I could do. Nope. This is when I discovered the importance of moisture. I decided to wear a shower cap for 3 months straight to grow back the bald spot.

November came by and the bald spot grew in 1.5 inches. But not only that. This 4c hair, grew out of my scalp curling from root to tip! I later discovered that what I had done was actually called “the green house effect”, and what my hair had done, was reach “max hydration”. That started my research on moisture, I found out about cherry lola treatments, and made a modified version that I was amazed at, because my hair was starting to get almost root to tip definition when I applied some oil to it. The cherry lola stuff is where I learned more about porosity, and heard the term max hydration.

Eventually I ran across Danabnatural and Aketafitgirl’s videos on Youtube and it fascinated me the changes they had in their hair and the transformations their hair made. I finally saw proof in others that frizzy hair can transform with moisture!

They motivated and inspired me to do even more research and found out explanations why my hair reacted so well to these treatments I had done before, how my hair worked and why other things didn’t. I wanted to shout it to the world. The first thing I remembered was this video of a youtuber announcing that “wash n go’s do not work on Nappy hair”, so I addressed it in the comment section of her video and then posted it on black hair media forum under the alias, “Pinke Cube” as an open letter to the Natural community.

luckiestdestiny

I went on to officially create this regimen and called it “the Max Hydration Method”. The focus is both type 4 kinky types and low porosity hair types, that need a little extra to be able to reach max hydration, and I have also been able to explain why low porosity hair behaves the way it does and how to control it.

My goal is to change the 4c/4b hair community, give people that level of complete control in their hair journeys. I want to take what I have learned and share it with everyone else so they can have easier journeys and not have to do any more guessing games about their hair. I want to eliminate “good hair” and “my Nappy hair can’t do that”. Most of all, rearrange our thinking that we do not have a curl pattern. Our hair is the MOST curly, and this method will reveal that on many beautiful heads of tightly coiled hair.

How long have you been doing MHM ?

I’ve been doing MHM since maybe mid March, but started putting the steps together late February.. I didn’t have all my products so I couldn’t start immediately. But I knew the regimen would work from my experience with my modified cherry lola treatment and 3 month GHE. I found as I did research I was finally finding connections that explained why my hair did behave the way it did before and why it responded so well to the GHE, that I already completely believed in it before even starting. Now, it has been almost 6 months. I have completed the full regimen about 32 times. This does not include days I would do step 1 and DC over a period of days.

What are Your experiences with MHM so far.

Well, I just reached Max Hydration on July 23. It was my 30th completion of the regimen. It has been great, my hair has never been healthier. When I first started I had to trial and error which helped me to solidify my technique and the options I wanted to do. By end of my first month, it was smooth sailing and just continued to get better and better. Now that I have max hydration, I style my hair faster, I don’t have to spend as much time doing the steps every time, and my hair is much easier to manage, detangle, style. It is practically effortless compared to before. I feel like my options have opened up and I can finally do all the things I wanted to do with my hair with no consequence. I can wear my hair out all the time, I can expect consistently perfect results in what ever style I do, my styles last longer and look better longer, my hair is retaining length without me even having to think about it, and I can finally share a beautiful aspect of my hair with everyone that I couldn’t get across before. My curls. It’s amazing how tightly coiled they are and I have always loved that, finally I can actually show that to others! I felt like all I had to look forward to before was the length I was going to retain “some day”. Now I enjoy my hair every moment of the day. Really. I touch my hair a lot.

Your views/experiences and maybe other people’s view of your hair before and after MHM

People didn’t understand why I insisted on being natural. I don’t think anyone appreciated my hair as much as I did. The effort I put into it never really shone through, so the beauty of it was hard to get across, unless I had one of the rare few days I straightened my hair and showed how long it was.

Now, I can wear my hair just the way it is and people see that beauty, and it speaks for itself. I get genuine compliments and stares of intrigue when I leave the house. Family members and friends are always giving me compliments and are curious. I just feel like I don’t have to force it anymore, it speaks for itself so I don’t have to “argue” or explain the beauty of my natural hair. I think we are heading into a place where “good hair” will be completely gone because of this.

There will be no more “but my hair can’t do that”, “my hair is too nappy for that”, or “Wash n go’s don’t work on Nappy hair”. It will change to “We all can achieve that look if our hair is moisturized.” That to me takes away this elitism about natural hair. A 4c girl who wears her hair in a fro, isn’t doing it because it is the only style that can be achieved on her hair besides a protective style, she is choosing to do that style among many others she can also achieve. So she is wearing a fro the same way someone with 3c hair can decide they want that look for the day. She can wear her hair out all the time, and it isn’t an issue with retaining length. She doesn’t have to manually twirl sections of hair to get definition, it is already apparent on her product free hair. So I think the perceptions are going to change in general about 4c hair, and level the playing field.

My view of my hair has really changed in the sense now I feel like my hair doesn’t have to be this hidden treasure. I don’t have to protective style all the time and then “prove” my hair is worth it by straightening it to show my length. I’m not length obsessed anymore, my hair is growing. People can all see the curls I saw in the mirror that day, and then some. I’m never going back to what I was doing before. I feel like sticking it out all this time was worth it, because I have finally achieved what I was waiting for– a complete understanding and level of control of my hair journey. I wish this is what I had done at the beginning of my journey. 7 years? With this regimen, my hair would probably be beyond waist length, lol. Where as I was barely grazing brastrap at my 5 year mark. I definitely have reached a new understanding about my hair, and no one could ever tell me otherwise with the changes my hair has taken.

Any advice to anyone who is considering trying it for the first time or to other naturals in general.

Do the Max Hydration Method. Period. Research it, go to the website, go to the forum, go to Msdeekay’s site, look it up on youtube. Everything you need to know is there, stop fiddling over it and give it a try. If you think your hair is “too 4c” for this, get over it and actually try it. We’ve got people who described their hair as 5a doing this regimen and getting root to tip definition. The results will speak for itself, and you can tell us in a testimony. Have fun on the journey.

SimJam

Every time you update in this thread @SimJam I come running.

ETA: have you tried any twistouts or braidouts since doing MhM? If so does the pattern of the twist/braidout come out nicely? Or is it that you can still see defined coils when you pull the twists apart? Also, how long can you go between 're-upping' your moisture?

LOL yes I did a twistouts last week on days 2 and 3 and I plan to do one tonight for tomorrow because Im tired as all heck from all this hair washing. What I noticed with my twist out was definitely less frizz (usually my twistout is nice and defined in the morning and very puffy by the end of the day). I think with regards to how the twist out looks it would depend on if I combed through each chunk before twisting (which Im not going to do for tomorrow because my hair still has some gel in it) Im just going to dampen my hair then retwist maybe with some oil. Ill post a pic tomorrow.:yep:

they suggest not to go more that 3 days between doing the full routine until you get max hydrated. Then you can go as long as a week (though its not recommended because then you tend to have too many shed hairs to deal with which have come loose and got happy with each other up in there)

which is why I was hoping there was an option for a mid week boost ... I can definitely work with a mid week wash

CocoGlow

so what can a person do with this method that's also protective styling?

blackbarbie986

You can do any style you want with the MHM .... most people are wearing their hair loose in Wash N Gos because it's easy and there is no fear of leaving the hair "unprotected" so to speak ... the clumped coils are protection enough ... but you can also do Twists, Updos, anything you wish for variety or to keep your hair from rubbing on your clothing :yep: Personally, my hair is too short to experiment with anything other than a shrunken Wash N Go at this point but once my hair grows I will switch it up with some pretty Updos.

fluffyforever

I am half thru Day 2. I didn't wash this morning because I was running late. I just finished my baking soda wash and cowash. I now have clay on my hair and will rinse it out in the morning.

So I know this is only my second time, but I am needing way less product. I have BSL hair in the back and APL bangs. For all this hair I only need a quarter-sized amount of watery conditioner to cowash! I can't believe how little I used. Before I would use a quarter of a bottle. It's amazing how much conditioner this is going to save me.

For the clay step, I was lazy so I only used water and clay powder. I also made this really watery. My coils were responding very well to the diluted clay water. I used 3 tablespoons of clay to 6oz of water. I still have a couple oz left in my bottle. And that's after taking a mud shower too. My skin is very smooth now lol.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I've been watching this on the sidelines because I've been actually doing this for years. I just havent did this as a regimen step from 1-7.

Around 2005, I joined Nappturality and met a lot of product vendors. One vendor, Shulta is the owner of Anita Grant. She is the first person that I saw using rhassoul clay in her products. She was very expensive so I duped the ingredients and made it myself as a rinse.

Blended Beauty had a bentonite clay mask and I did the same thing. I then came across the cherry lola treatment on Naturally Curly. I incorporated all of these methods AND Ayurvedic herbs/henna.

I will say this AND this is not to offend anyone but I dont think there are any 4Cs. I think a lot of 4Bs,that if their coils were encouraged to clump, they would train themselves. Whenever I protective style, my hair is stretched for days and it takes a lot of moisturizing and water for the hair to untrain itself from staying straight. The number one thing I have learned in the last 10 years is moisture is my friend. A natural told me I was a 4C. I said ok and found me some 4cs and adopted their regimens until I ventured off into ayurvedic land. My hair curled when wet and stayed that way(4a), with or without product except for above my ears where my curls curl together but dont clump (4B).
I think Andre Walker had the system downpat AND I dont feel he did it to divide black people further.

I have never straightened any portion of my hair but my bang ( which I had to cut because of the heat). My regimen encourages my curls to clump because its really easy to WnG. Do you know how hard it is to detangle coily hair after wet setting? I usually do a twist out after 6-7 days. By then my hair is frizzed out enough, to wear its not too bad a hassle to detangle.

So I find it cool, that this is a method that works/working for people. Im just set in a way with my hair where I dont have to do the steps back to back or all together.

I will say that I tried a cherry lola treatment and followed it up with a cl;ay rinse. My hair was drastically reduced in volume. So I might do that in the future a few times to see if I like it that way.

so kudos to the lady for getting all this information together.

also, my hair doesnt like coconut aloe or protein. When I saw that she had that on her website, I was knodding my head.

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I keep coming back to thread. Any high porosity ladies doing this? I want to know how your hair responds to the baking soda since that's the thing I'm most nervous about.

CocoGlow

I keep coming back to thread. Any high porosity ladies doing this? I want to know how your hair responds to the baking soda since that's the thing I'm most nervous about.

Wildchild453

You can do the Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse option for High Porosity hair or experiment with the Baking Soda Rinse using more conditioner, less baking soda, etc :yep:

SimJam

Twistout today
I lightly spritzed my hair the grabbed chunks and twisted with HV almond glaze

second pic is fluffed hair

Attachments

• MHM 16 sept TO1comp.jpg
    MHM 16 sept TO1comp.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 125
  • MHM 16 sept TO2comp.jpg
    MHM 16 sept TO2comp.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 138

MissMusic

shawnyblazes I agree. I used to be into Ayurveda as well, and realized my curl potential. In addition to your observations, I have found that my curls pop more with the regular use of a clarifying cleanser and moisturizing cleanser followed by DC with heat. In recent years so many type 4's have shunned cleansing and this method gets people to go back to cleansing. There are non-sulfate clarifying cleansers that do not leave the hair feeling like straw and I think people need to give them a try.

I think the MHM is a lot of work for something that can be achieved in fewer steps, but at the same time I am glad that this method is helping ladies reach their potential, so I won't throw stones. In the end, the best policy is to do what works for you.

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
SimJam I can really see the difference in your hair! It literally looks like it's filled with moisture. Nice and shiny too! I am here reading a couple of pages of the BHm thread every day. Once I feel like I have garnered enough solid knowledge I will take the plunge.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
So I've been doing this 10ish days now. Yesterday, I made the mistake of using my old fave AO island naturals. A few minutes later I noticed this SMELL! I swear I never noticed that mess smells like rubbing alcohol before. Sure enough denat alcohol is the SECOND ingredient. This must be their new formula. :nono:

My mhm results from last night are not that great. Think I lost some moisture ground. Its a bit drier than before. Feels more like it did after my 2nd or 3rd treatment. No matter. I will stay the course and continue.

The AO might be good for shaving from now on :ohwell:

Also, switching to the soda from the clarifying shampoo to compare results.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Im doing my shorten MHM right now. Im determined to be done my hair by 8pm. What takes me so long are the twist.

I did it different 2nite. I have the ACV & DC on at the same time. I noticed that naptural85, does the same thing. We'll see how my hair responds.

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
Would glycerin still be a no if I live in an extremely humid country (like Ja)? From her reasoning as to why she wouldn't recommend it generally (dry weather and climates) I don't think it should be a problem.

Honey Bee

Would glycerin still be a no if I live in an extremely humid country (like Ja)? From her reasoning as to why she wouldn't recommend it generally (dry weather and climates) I don't think it should be a problem.
bajandoc86, Yeah, I think you would be okay. Her main thing is, don't nobody have time to be checking dew points, switching out entire product lines based on the weather or season, etc., but if you know your climate is stable humidity-wise (either way), feel free to make an educated choice. :yep:

fluffyforever

Any tips for having KCCC not be sticky? Sometimes it has been sticky, other times it hasn't. Or it will be sticky when wet, but not when my hair dries.

CocoGlow

bajandoc86, Yeah, I think you would be okay. Her main thing is, don't nobody have time to be checking dew points, switching out entire product lines based on the weather or season, etc., but if you know your climate is stable humidity-wise (either way), feel free to make an educated choice. :yep:

bajandoc86

Honey Bee

I agree but she also mentioned something I've never heard before: Glycerin is an Astringent! :spinning: ... I don't know if she was referring to the fact that it can make the hair feel dry & cripsy in dry climates or if there really is an astringent quality to it even in humid climates ... that was not clear to me ... but since you live in a humid climate I would imagine your hair will actually thrive from the extra moisture it can bring to your hair ... she did mention that even though Honey & Agave Nectar are humectants they are not problematic like Glycerin :yep:

CocoGlow

Any tips for having KCCC not be sticky? Sometimes it has been sticky, other times it hasn't. Or it will be sticky when wet, but not when my hair dries.

fluffyforever

I've been diluting my KCCC and have had less stickiness and flakes than when I used it full strength - the hold is still great and it's actually easier for me to apply it to my hair when diluted - diluting also helps stretch the gel so it's saving me money! :grin:

I put 1oz of KCCC & 2oz of Water in an applicator bottle (you could also use a bottle with a pump as long as the pump is wide enough to allow diluted gel to pass through)

The ratio is 1:2 so from 1oz of gel I yield 3oz of diluted gel and I use about 1oz of the diluted gel each session (my hair is currently only about 4 inches) so it lasts me 3 sessions

If you choose to dilute your gel try to only make enough for a week so that you are not introducing water to too much gel and possibly breeding bacteria :nono:

ETA: I noticed today that I actually use 1.5oz of the diluted gel per session so I get 2 sessions out of 3oz of diluted gel - as my hair gets longer I will probably have to double the recipe to have enough or the week but I will still use the same 1:2 (gel:water) ratio

Last edited:

SimJam

@bajandoc86 exactly !!!!!

if you look at my avatar ... that's how my dry hair normally looks .... ashy, like there is a halo glow of ash around my hair when I take a pic in natural light. I normally had to use the flash in order to see my hair properly. to try and get shine Id add more oil until I ended up with shiny oily hair LOL

now my dry hair is beginning to look more like it does when its wet (dark black and with a little shine)

And I agree, everyone should read and make their decision as to if or how they will do the MHM Im experimenting with reducing the time it takes and cutting down the use of the BS.

over the weekend Im gonna try doing the clay mask first, then DC then LI and Gel

My hair and I have been at battle for quite a while now and I was at the point of BCing so if anything goes wrong I wont be too sad lol

Last edited:

SimJam

uggg and forgot to add, that I made some flaxseed gel last night and forgot to add the oil ... OY

my hair is a lil crunchy and lots of flakes :cry: If scrunched out most of it ... just glad im not wearing black today :)

AJellyCake

What are you all adding to your flaxseed gel? I'm trying to find a way to make it smell good. Lol. I know essential oils are also great for the hair. I add tea tree oil because that's all I have. Although folks seen to like the smell because it's so fresh, I would prefer something more flowery. I would do just a regular fragrance oil but I'm wondering if they have no-no ingredients. I also add vitamin e oil and sometimes honey.

ETA: I also added a tiny bit of Irish moss this time. Yummy!

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
What are you all adding to your flaxseed gel? I'm trying to find a way to make it smell good. Lol. I know essential oils are also great for the hair. I add tea tree oil because that's all I have. Although folks seen to like the smell because it's so fresh, I would prefer something more flowery. I would do just a regular fragrance oil but I'm wondering if they have no-no ingredients.

I also add vitamin e oil and sometimes honey.

I add peppermint oil to my gel. I plan on getting some lavender oil next month.