∞°∞°2012 Baggy Challenge!!!∞°∞°

Aggie

@tiffers, seeing that I mix/thin out the grease heavily with JBCO, I would say it keeps the moisture in a lot longer than with just the oil alone.

I'm baggying with it again tonight but eventually I will be getting some african shea butter and maybe some crisco. I have been hearing some good things about the crisco. I don't want to have to clarify my hair too often to remove the buildup:nono:.

I like how it feels though and the thing is, I feel that the crisco will feel just as good but without the mineral oil and petrolatum, ya know? Plus pound for pound, it's cheaper:grin:.

nubiennze

tiffers I think it's the combination of comedogenic oils (fine on the length of the hair, but not slathered on the scalp) on very oily/acne-prone skin and limited air/water. It probably works better on drier skin and/or with pore-friendly oils (not sunflower or coconut :ohwell:).

Felt cruddy yesterday so I didn't do anything to my hair by way of rinsing or washing. Baggied with argan oil last night to hold me over and am feeling a bit better (both hair and body :)) this morning.

BTW tiffers--and anyone else better versed in LOC than I--what say you re: using Crisco (or, in my case, Spectrum brand palm derived shortening) in the oil phase?

manter26

Washed my flat ironed hair...back to celie braids, ghe'ing ,sulfur oil, and wigging it. I think I improved my growth rate at least 2 fold in Jan so I'm definitely trying to keep this up.

Cendra

Been a bad, bad girl and hadn't baggied in over a week, but finally got back on the wagon last night. Doing it again tonight with distilled water and coconut oil.

MaraWithLove

tiffers They've gone in most of the way. I still don't know if this was the cause haha so I'll probably start baggying again very soon. I'm thinking it was just a reaction to hibiscus tbh. :yep: Will baggy tomorrow night and check in on Thursday!

MsAminta

Here I stand in my bathroom wanting to baggy but it makes so much noise! And I have a husband sooo...no bueno. I know it may have been mentioned so I will go back and read for any low-crinkle tips. If it hasn't, please enlighten me! :)

Aggie

Here I stand in my bathroom wanting to baggy but it makes so much noise! And I have a husband sooo...no bueno. I know it may have been mentioned so I will go back and read for any low-crinkle tips. If it hasn't, please enlighten me! :)

MsAminta, What I do is put a satin cap over the baggy, then I put a wig cap right over that followed by another satin cap and the noise is greatly minimized. Try it and see if that works. If not, you may need to baggy under a wig or so during the day.

yodie

I love the way my hair felt after baggying, but I had more breakage on wash day. I saw lots of those circular ends in the shower. Any solutions outside of stopping altogether?

Aggie

I love the way my hair felt after baggying, but I had more breakage on wash day. I saw lots of those circular ends in the shower. Any solutions outside of stopping altogether?

Maybe reduce baggying to once a week or even for a few hours only. You may want to do only when you feel your hair absolutley needs it too. Don't wet your hair too much while baggying either, as the baggy creates it's own moisture from your body heat alone. Use a creamy moisturizer instead of a wet one is another way you can try if you haven't yet done so. This is all I got for now:look:.

MaraWithLove

tiffers I am so back to my abandoned lover (GHE). Apparently I'm allergic to the clothes detergent I used? Girl I started breaking out on my back and was thinking like...umm...hibiscus nor plastic bags definitely didn't come into contact with my back lol. :look: So...back to baggying and GHE it is. :grin:

Oh and has anyone on here ever baggied/GHE'd over a braid-out? Just wondering as it's become my go-to style lately with school back in session!

tallnomad

Washed my flat ironed hair...back to celie braids, ghe'ing ,sulfur oil, and wigging it. I think I improved my growth rate at least 2 fold in Jan so I'm definitely trying to keep this up.

manter26--do you wear a baggy or saran under your wig?

sounds like you've received a lot of great growth!

i've been baggying 24-7 at night and under my wig.

Ms. Tiki

Tonight I'm baggying with the oil mixed I put in to steam with. I steamed for about 20 mins and immediately put my plastic cap and bonnet for the night.

nubiennze

Used AOHSR as a creamy LI after my cowash today, and I think I may be on to something. :think: I definitely didn't dry as crunchy as I have been lately; I just wish I hadn't used castor oil underneath. :ohwell: Next time I'll try again with avocado oil.

MaraWithLove I'm glad you pinpointed the cause of your breakouts--and that it wasn't baggying! :)

Baggying overnight on completely dry hair with no add'l product has been working better for me. I still have a tender spot here and there (you know, like a pimple that hasn't come to a head :perplexed--gross, I know), but nothing like it was the first week. I'm continuing to cowash more frequently and give my scalp time to re-regulate itself.

manter26

manter26--do you wear a baggy or saran under your wig?

sounds like you've received a lot of great growth!

i've been baggying 24-7 at night and under my wig.

My typical growth rate is about 1/3" so I'm happy to get around 1/2"+ with this method. I use the thin bags from the grocer section of the store. When I buy veggies, I take 5 or so extras. I can't stand the rattling of regular bags and saran wrap slips.

Platinum

Not baggying tonight. I did a blowout earlier today and I'll probably go to the braid shop tomorrow. If I decide to get braids, I will baggy tomorrow night.

tallnomad

My typical growth rate is about 1/3" so I'm happy to get around 1/2"+ with this method. I use the thin bags from the grocer section of the store. When I buy veggies, I take 5 or so extras. I can't stand the rattling of regular bags and saran wrap slips.

Thank you manter26. I have been noticing that saran slips under my wig even underneath the tight nylon caps.

Even though my hair is chronically dry, I'm still afraid of moisturizing too much since I've been doing 24-7. So far, I think me and my Celie braids are okay, but it hasn't been a week yet, nor have I washed to really assess if there are any issues. I'll use you and your great growth with wigs as inspiration.

manter26

Thank you manter26. I have been noticing that saran slips under my wig even underneath the tight nylon caps.

Even though my hair is chronically dry, I'm still afraid of moisturizing too much since I've been doing 24-7. So far, I think me and my Celie braids are okay, but it hasn't been a week yet, nor have I washed to really assess if there are any issues. I'll use you and your great growth with wigs as inspiration.

:look: I would hardly consider my growth "great" but it's good compared to what I usually get. I'll be more than happy with just 1/2" per month from GHe'ing and my sulfur mix. I only baggy overnight and just wear my braids in a bun most days. Since I work from home, I only wear a wig a few times a week and with nothing under it most likely.

In my experience, you can't go wrong with braids, as long as the roots don't matt. :yep:

MsAminta

manter26 said:

THANKS for this tip! Gonna pick some up. :)

Cendra

Brilliant, may try that to save me some change.

Baggied last night, baggying tonight!

MaraWithLove

nubiennze Thank you so much! I am too! :yep:

Will wash hair and DC (may do this over-night). If I wash the DC out tonight then I will GHE tonight with coffee castor-hemp oil :)

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Ya'll, I've been so sucky and lazy lately. :nono:

I haven't put anything in my hair in IDK how long. Just throw my bags on and hit the hay. This has surprisingly not been that bad, hair still feels aiight, but I need to do better. I steamed last night and only used oil, cuz I didn't feel like putting anything else on my head.

I need an intervention. :sad:

tiffers

BTW anyone else better versed in LOC than I--what say you re: using Crisco (or, in my case, Spectrum brand palm derived shortening) in the oil phase?

I say go for it! :grin: Anything oil based is perfect, and Crisco is oil based. :yep:

P.S.

Sorry for the late reply, I'm just now seeing this.

tiffers

Aggie gave you some great tips! My other suggestion would be to try saran wrap. :yep:

I'm married as well and my husband never complains. I use three shower caps and top it with a bonnet or doo-rag, this helps with noise-reduction.

tiffers

I would suggest using less product and (if you wet your hair beforehand) not wetting your hair as much.

tiffers

I am so back to my abandoned lover (GHE). Apparently I'm allergic to the clothes detergent I used? Girl I started breaking out on my back and was thinking like...umm...hibiscus nor plastic bags definitely didn't come into contact with my back lol. :look: So...back to baggying and GHE it is. :grin:

Oh and has anyone on here ever baggied/GHE'd over a braid-out? Just wondering as it's become my go-to style lately with school back in session!

:lol: Yaaaay! Welcome back to the partay! :woot:

I baggied over a braidout, but it didn't turn out so great. :nono: The braids took a long time to dry and wasn't ready by the time I had to leave the house. Maybe you could use a dryer on the cool setting to speed up the drying process.