Nail Your Regimen Challenge 2014

toaster

If I keep a tshirt on my hair for 20 minutes, twist, and sit under the Pibbs for an hour at 60 my twists are dry. I also sleep without a bonnet that night just to get more air flow.

I think I'll wear my twist out in a bun the next two or three days, but down for the weekend.

snoop

So, I don't think that I'll be able to keep up with my MHM experiment. After two days I realize that it's just too much to start a daily process at this point. I do think, however, that I might turn it into my weekly wash routine for the next couple of weeks as I do like how my hair has turned out in terms of the added definition. Even the hairs at the very nape of my neck which usually are straight-ish and frizzy are curled up nicely and therefore tucked away. I could probably grow them out using this method instead of having them knot up and catch on my clothing.

The main thing that I found really useful (but utterly time consuming) was separating each section of hair when applying product. I guess this would be similar to the applying relaxer method but using your hands instead of a brush. This technique I think makes a huge difference to the effectiveness of the clay wash or evening my DC. I noticed that by doing this it made all the difference in terms of having my hair clump or not after the mud wash.

After two days of doing the method (no cherry lola and a clarifying shampoo instead of baking soda) I've got some sections that clump all the way to the root. The ends of my hair have cute little curls. I'm not a huge fan of gel, but I also like the idea of using this instead of a heavy layer of oil to seal as there is also less build up at the end of each cycle.

I'm going to add some twists to my hair tonight, as I'm not a fan of the (few) knots that I encountered yesterday. I'll try to do a twist out this weekend and see if I notice any difference.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Lately, I've been bunning. I couldnt get my edges to stay down until yesterday though. Yesterday, i learned that what i thought was a lot of gel wasnt nearly enough.

I think i used a tennis ball sized amount yesterday. My hair is just that thick.

faithVA

So, I don't think that I'll be able to keep up with my MHM experiment. After two days I realize that it's just too much to start a daily process at this point. I do think, however, that I might turn it into my weekly wash routine for the next couple of weeks as I do like how my hair has turned out in terms of the added definition. Even the hairs at the very nape of my neck which usually are straight-ish and frizzy are curled up nicely and therefore tucked away. I could probably grow them out using this method instead of having them knot up and catch on my clothing.

The main thing that I found really useful (but utterly time consuming) was separating each section of hair when applying product. I guess this would be similar to the applying relaxer method but using your hands instead of a brush. This technique I think makes a huge difference to the effectiveness of the clay wash or evening my DC. I noticed that by doing this it made all the difference in terms of having my hair clump or not after the mud wash.

After two days of doing the method (no cherry lola and a clarifying shampoo instead of baking soda) I've got some sections that clump all the way to the root. The ends of my hair have cute little curls. I'm not a huge fan of gel, but I also like the idea of using this instead of a heavy layer of oil to seal as there is also less build up at the end of each cycle.

I'm going to add some twists to my hair tonight, as I'm not a fan of the (few) knots that I encountered yesterday. I'll try to do a twist out this weekend and see if I notice any difference.

It is only suggested to do it daily for a week to speed up the progress, but it is fine if not. It just supposedly takes longer. I know you may not want to use the baking soda, but if you aren't using a lot of product for step 4 and 5 you may want to alternate your clarifying conditioner with something else on different weeks.

snoop

It is only suggested to do it daily for a week to speed up the progress, but it is fine if not. It just supposedly takes longer. I know you may not want to use the baking soda, but if you aren't using a lot of product for step 4 and 5 you may want to alternate your clarifying conditioner with something else on different weeks.

Any suggestions? I think, if I don't use too much oil during the week, then the build up won't be too bad, as compared to my regular routine.

faithVA

Any suggestions? I think, if I don't use too much oil during the week, then the build up won't be too bad, as compared to my regular routine.

If you are adverse to the baking soda you can try the acv. I am currently trying substituting castille soap for the baking soda. If you feel like you need to shampoo. a regular shampoo would be better than a clarifying shampoo. Unless you are using heavy butters and silicones I don't see how you could need to clarify every week. Even oil can be washed off with regular shampoo.

You can also buffer your shampoo by diluting it and adding a bit of conditioner to the mix.

However, if you are one of the few people whose hair loves clarifying shampoo then definitely do what works for you.

Your hair only needs to be clarified enough to get the conditioner in. The mud will clarify everything else.

snoop

If you are adverse to the baking soda you can try the acv. I am currently trying substituting castille soap for the baking soda. If you feel like you need to shampoo. a regular shampoo would be better than a clarifying shampoo. Unless you are using heavy butters and silicones I don't see how you could need to clarify every week. Even oil can be washed off with regular shampoo.

You can also buffer your shampoo by diluting it and adding a bit of conditioner to the mix.

However, if you are one of the few people whose hair loves clarifying shampoo then definitely do what works for you.

Your hair only needs to be clarified enough to get the conditioner in. The mud will clarify everything else.

Thanks! I usually use shampoo if I think I need a good wash. Normally I mud wash, condition (helps get that extra mud out as well), and then LOC. I'll sometimes start with a DC. I don't use butters or silicones, but sometimes heavier oils like castor oil on my strands. I don't oil my scalp.

I really do think that the application process will help me quite a bit. Because I don't normally use gel, my hair would otherwise dry faster than 24 hours?! (Usually it takes 3-4.) I also noticed that I'm just not very good at getting down to to roots to detangle. Even when I was combing my son's hair the other day I noticed I wasn't starting from his scalp. What gives! Haha!

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to either apply the oil to my hair so that it more effective for softening or an oil mix, like a sheen spray that I could create since I don't want to use gel anymore. Two days was enough for me. :nono:

toaster

Day three twist out was very moisturized but not super defined. I liked it and planned on wearing it down but it's so hot out that I pulled it up. Will probably wash again tomorrow.

image-3029502195.jpg

faithVA

I'm going to stick to flat twist for now. My 2 strands look ok for day 1 or 2 but then they shrink and won't lay flat :nono: I will just stick to flat twist until I can pull my twist back some kind of way.

lamaria211

Since I have more natural hair I have had to update my regimen by DCing more often and washing leas. Good news is that it's working for me

toaster

Ladies that wash your hair twice a week, what days do you wash? A seven day week is so hard to split into two. Right now I'm doing Thursday and Sunday evenings. It just feels like those days are so close. But Sunday and Wednesday is the same thing...

Evolving78

Experimented w/new airdrying techniques for a second time. Still figuring out that last step.

If I try leaving my hair out to dry, the lower part of my hair dries out and becomes brittle, plus my coils at the roots & nape shrink up and become tangled & poofy.

BUT If I try to keep those areas stretched by bunning, twisting, or w/ponytails, they take FOREVER to dry! Hi-po hair is a funny thing :lol:

I noticed that I always brush down the front of my hair & the NG looks pretty smooth, maybe doing the same with the back would help (note: I *Gently* use a soft, 100% boar bristle brush on moisturized hair). I'll try the ponytail method against next wash, alternating between ponytails & finger combing my crown. Similar to this method

Wonder how this will work out when my NG takes over...

have you thought about blow drying your hair on cool using the tension method? it may take awhile, but it will give you what you need. i'm 10 weeks post and was able to retain moisture and smooth ends, and stretch my new growth out a bit.

faithVA

Ladies that wash your hair twice a week, what days do you wash? A seven day week is so hard to split into two. Right now I'm doing Thursday and Sunday evenings. It just feels like those days are so close. But Sunday and Wednesday is the same thing...

It is going to feel close no matter how you split it if you try to do it in the same week. I will wash on Tuesday if I next plan to wash on Friday, Wednesday if I plan to wash on Saturday/Sunday.

Maybe you want to try Wednesday and Sunday.

toaster

It is going to feel close no matter how you split it if you try to do it in the same week. I will wash on Tuesday if I next plan to wash on Friday, Wednesday if I plan to wash on Saturday/Sunday. Maybe you want to try Wednesday and Sunday.

Thanks! I really think I could get away with washing once a week, but I get so much moisture from deep conditioning that I feel I should do it twice a week for my hair health.

I'm trying to tell myself that the time I spend on my hair is worth it. And it is because I love how it looks right now. I just dread the 3 hours I spend on it twice a week. Never mind that for 2 of those hours I'm just sitting deep conditioning or under the dryer. Actual hair time is only 1 hour!

spellinto

Loving my hair tonight! I stopped experimenting & went back to my usual air drying method. My hair detangled well and absorbed the moisture I put in instead of evaporating. It just looks and feels so much happier!

I'm almost done with my NTM mask; it works well but I don't think I'll repurchase. It's a little pricey and I discovered that it causes build-up on my scalp. Plus, it isn't compatible with my Hair One for some reason. So, I'm revisiting Aussie 3 Min DC next. I'm in the mood for a cheap, moisturizing, simple DC these days.

I'd also like to note that my ends have been doingreally well thus far! I didn't want to say anything too soon, but I'm feeling more & more confident about them. They don't look frayed and dry anymore since I stopped using sulfate & sulfate-free shampoos (even the run-off from sulfate-free poos were messing me up). I guess cleansing conditioners/cowashes are the way to go!

Last edited:

faithVA

Thanks! I really think I could get away with washing once a week, but I get so much moisture from deep conditioning that I feel I should do it twice a week for my hair health.

I'm trying to tell myself that the time I spend on my hair is worth it. And it is because I love how it looks right now. I just dread the 3 hours I spend on it twice a week. Never mind that for 2 of those hours I'm just sitting deep conditioning or under the dryer. Actual hair time is only 1 hour!

If I only spent 1 he on my hair I would probably do my hair every 3 days. One day I hope.

toaster

The buffering technique for shampoo works so well. I did my usual protein Prepoo on dry hair, and when u got in the shower I shampoo'd each scalp section (I do my hair in quarters) before I rinsed the conditioner and shampoo out. Nice and clean hair that doesn't feel stripped or tangly.

faithVA

I feel like I haven't washed my hair in forever. Finally washing it now. Hopefully I'm done by 10.

toaster

I'm at such an annoying place with my regimen. I've figured out the kinks for the most part, my hair looks nice, it feels great, and I'm happy with my product selection. So now I just have to wait and see if not constantly bunning affects my retention. I'll probably go until the end of the year with twist outs and see if I notice any breakage or if my hair isn't as long as it "should" be by that time, but I hate waiting.

sissimpson

Transitioning from summer regimen of daily cowashes to a fall routine.... Okay, why did I have to go crazy and try to go two weeks without washing???? My hair is so non-dense, and I had it in two flat twists for about 3 days. Took it out, twisted it up into smaller twists, and looked like a scarecrow going to church Sunday night. Dumb, dumb, dumb

faithVA

I'm also getting ready for the cooler weather. I'm not even going to try to wash twice a week so will shoot for every Friday or Sunday. Hopefully I can find a way to keep my hair moisturized for 7 days.

My hair is responding to my current regimen so just have to be consistent and wait it out.

snoop

I put my hair back into two strand twists. It feels like forever since I've worn this style. They're like my security blanket. I feel so much better. :yep:

alanaturelle

Hi ladies, I hope you all doing really well. I'm just popping in for a quick update.

My hair regimen hasn't changed at all and it's pretty much a routine for me: overnight prepoo, cowash/mud wash, deep condition under the steamer, air dry and bun with the mid-week cowash.

Right now, I'm trying to use up my stash of products; I haven't bought anything new in about six months. I have enough to last till the end of year.

faithVA

I really need to keep up with this thread :look: Sorry I'm slacking.

I have my regi down until the end of the year at least.

My primary wash will be MHM based.
1. Cleanse with a mix of conditioner and castille soap
2. DC for 15 to 30 minutes
3. mudwash for 15 minutes or longer
4. Apply leave-in
5. Apply oil and cream
6. Flat twist

If I do a mid-week wash
1. Cleanse with a mix of conditioner and castille soap
2. Apply leave-in
3. Apply oil and cream
4. Flat twist

I will do a keratin protein treatment once a month.
I will search and destroy as needed
I plan to do at least one more dusting before the end of the year.

So that is my regimen for the rest of 2014.

CodeRed

Well, I've nailed my technique and my deep conditioner... now I'm going to move on to making my own shampoo. After that I'll work on a leave in and rinse out conditioner.

Regimen:

Shampoo
Deep condtion (20 minute steam with homemade conditioner)
Rinse out conditioner
Leave in

And I'm modifying it again lol... Not making my own shampoo but:

Shampoo 2x per month (every other week)
Homemade deep treatment under steamer(once per week and I'll experiment with doing it only during shampooing to see if that'll work)
Rinse out conditioner

I discovered the leave ins I was using didn't make any difference after I kept forgetting to apply them and there was no difference in shedding/breakage. I've been without a leave in for over 4 months now. I think this Irish Moss is what's really strengthening my hair.

I also plan on cutting down on my shampooing/doing my hair to 2x per week: Shampoo/deep treatment/rinse out conditioner on Monday, co-wash on Friday. This setup will be every other week. The other complimenting weeks will be either deep treatment/rinse out conditioner on Monday with co-wash on Friday or co-washing both Monday and Friday.

We'll see... I want to get this hammered out by the end of the year. This is a good time to experiment too because it shows how well your hair withstands winter with your regimen.

faithVA

I thought about tweaking my regimen but then I decided against it. I may alternate what I do for my wash step mixture alternating between baking soda, castille soap and eventually I will get some As I Am cleansing pudding. Everything else is working well.

I am still experimenting with my clay. I'm comparing the pink clay and the rhassoul. I am hoping the rhassoul works out better long term because it is far less messy and easier to get the consistency right. But once I get the ingredient ratios down I will be finished with that. Still doing the same steps just playing around with mixture variations.

I still haven't committed to do a mid-week wash.

1. Cleanse with baking soda/conditioner, castille soap/conditioner..future As I Am cleansing pudding with possibly either baking soda or castille soap to increase the ph. I have started heating the mixture for this step. Let it sit for 15 to 30 minutes and rinse.

2. Heat conditioner and use heat cap for 30 minutes. At some point I may try diluted conditioner but its fine for now.

3. Rhassoul clay or pink clay. Still working on ratios of water, olive oil, honey and acv. Working on reducing the amounts of olive oil. Currently leaving on for 30 minutes. May try longer periods when I have the time.

4. Heat diluted kknt and use for leave-in.

5. Optional: Apply oil; olive oil, castor oil, hazelnut oil

6. Twist with curling cream. Currently using Camille Rose Almond Jai. I do need some backups.

toaster

My regimen has been pretty much the same and I'm loving it. Tomorrow I'll give flexi rodding my hair before my twist outs another chance to see whether it gives me "better" twist outs over twisting my damp hair. Either way twist outs are my go to style the first 2/3 days after I wash and then I bun until I wash again.

Twice a week washing will get me through the winter and into the spring.