Any thoughts on Maximum Hydration Method

BostonMaria

Her solution is a regimen similar to Pinke Cube's iteration, but different in one important way: her first step is an (strong-looking) ACV rinse that she leaves in for 30-60 min! :blush:

But :look: since her hair is healthy and lush, I just might give it a try. :look: I'll use a weaker solution and leave in on for 30 min.

Her hair is gorgeous and looks really moisturized

Fad or not, this seems to work for people. I personally wouldn't do Maximum Hydration, but I don't see anything wrong with this method.

faithVA

Since I'm still transitioning for the foreseeable future, I use the gel, but I don't want to use the gel, you know? I'm thinking aloe vera gel instead of KCCC or flaxseed, same cuticle-closing effect, less hold. Problem is, my relaxed hair hated it. I'ma get a little bit and see if my natural hair feels the same way.

If you don't want to use the gel then use something else. I don't use gel, I use the Camille Rose Almond Jai.

If the ph of your final step isn't between 4.5 and 5.5 then make a finishing spray with that ph and spritz your hair after you apply your leave-in.

She has other items on her website now that are approved.

Honey Bee

If you don't want to use the gel then use something else. I don't use gel, I use the Camille Rose Almond Jai.

If the ph of your final step isn't between 4.5 and 5.5 then make a finishing spray with that ph and spritz your hair after you apply your leave-in.

She has other items on her website now that are approved.
*sigh* I know, but I really dislike ordering online. It's not the price of the products, it's the wait. Can't deal. I only mess with Kinky Curly because they're at Target, in the same complex as my Costco. :look:

I have all of the ingredients needed to make a gel and the ph strips to test it, I'm just being lazy. :look:

fasika

This thread has been an absolute revelation. I've done all these steps before, just never all at once or on consecutive days. In fact, BS is my clarifier of choice.

I don't have 4c hair, but beyond that I have no idea what to call it. It can be anything from 3c to 4b depending on moisture level, product, haircut, etc.

Exactly 1 year ago, I got the most amazing wash n go. I had trimmed my hair and had it flatironed for 7 days before washing. I washed with Lush's soap with the coconut flakes then conditioned with Pantene. I got the most hydrated and defined curls EVER. It hasn't happened before or since, but it definitely let me know there's something missing in my regimen because the front half of my head, which is frizz and waves usually, changed into big fat juicy curls that day. Every hair was clumped and I had no frizz whatsoever.

So I've now started the MHM because that could be the missing link. I'm not going to do it exactly (yet), but will be as consistent as possible and let y'all know. I won't do the exact Cherry Lola or use only approved products.

faithVA

This thread has been an absolute revelation. I've done all these steps before, just never all at once or on consecutive days. In fact, BS is my clarifier of choice.

I don't have 4c hair, but beyond that I have no idea what to call it. It can be anything from 3c to 4b depending on moisture level, product, haircut, etc.

Exactly 1 year ago, I got the most amazing wash n go. I had trimmed my hair and had it flatironed for 7 days before washing. I washed with Lush's soap with the coconut flakes then conditioned with Pantene. I got the most hydrated and defined curls EVER. It hasn't happened before or since, but it definitely let me know there's something missing in my regimen because the front half of my head, which is frizz and waves usually, changed into big fat juicy curls that day. Every hair was clumped and I had no frizz whatsoever.

So I've now started the MHM because that could be the missing link. I'm not going to do it exactly (yet), but will be as consistent as possible and let y'all know. I won't do the exact Cherry Lola or use only approved products.

I had an experience similar to yours about 2 years ago. I had been cowashing for about a month. One night I just kept saturating my hair with water and deva curl one and finger combing it. My hair actually laid flat against my head, hung down and curled up. I looked at it in amazement wondering whose hair it was. I never achieved it again. But I realized that if I could get enough water in my strands my hair would hang. But it was really too much work to finger comb to get the water into the strands. And no matter how much cowashing I did after that, I didn't get the same result.

fasika

So I finished day 1, and I'm very happy with the results.

Even though I used to use clay (same Aztec brand), I used it on my relaxed hair, and I didn't like the results much - it made my hair extra crispy dry.
Today though, my hair feels fab!!

After finishing the process, my observation is that my hair is MUCH more elongated and flatter to my head. In addition, it is much curlier and sooo soft. The back half of my head has always been curly, but quite dry and with a bit of frizz. It also shrunk quite a lot. Not today! Much less frizz, very little shrinkage, and very consistent curls. I'd say the back is at about 70% of MHM at this point.

The front is usually very frizzy, with some hints of waves, and the occasional curl. Right now, I'm seeing about 30% more curls than usual, but still quite a bit of frizz. Not there yet, but definitely better than before! Right now, most of the existing curls go up to about 2/3 up the shaft. The curls reach the roots only in the back half of my head. So the front half is really where I'm very interested in seeing the changes over time.

Process I did:

1. Baking soda with Vidal Sassoon condish - put a bag on it and waited at least 45 min before rinsing. It felt soft already.
2. Vidal Sassoon condish mixed with very warm water to DC. Put a plastic bag on, wrapped a towel and took a 2hr nap.

I then had to go out to get the clay from Whole Foods. I just squeezed off all excess water and conditioner from my hair (did not rinse off the DC), then applied a light layer of grapeseed oil to seal. It was about 70% dry in minutes, which never happened before, and it felt very soft. I blowdried on cool to get it a bit drier before leaving. I rinsed when I came home and proceeded with step 3.

3. Bentonite clay, olive oil, honey and grapeseed oil mix. Left it on for 1.5-2 hrs. Hair felt like butter after cleansing. Very soft and curly, very elongated and flat to my head.
4. Same as step 2, except that I immediately applied the grapeseed oil on top, then put my hair in 2 big bantu knots, plastic bag and satin wrap. So in essence I'm gonna baggy overnight since I don't want to blowdry.

I didn't do the Cherry Lola. This past Sunday I DCed with egg yolk, honey, EVOO and grapeseed oil, so I wasn't sure about doing another protein treatment so soon.

Tomorrow: I'll maybe do a modified CL tomorrow (adding yogurt and baking soda to my above mix). I'll probably use my trusted Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol instead of the Vidal Sassoon conditioner just to see what difference it makes.

Last edited:

SpiceUpMyHair

For starters faithVA
Hello LHCF family by popular demand we are starting a maximum hydration method challenge. Max hydration is a method that was compiled by Pinke Cube of BHM as a way to infuse moisture in to low porosity type 4 hair. Don't see this method as a challenge but of more a guideline for your hair. This method is geared towards type 4 lo porosity hair but all is welcomed to join.
http://maxhydrationmethod.com/
It is reccommend following the method initially for seven days. It doesn't have to be seven straight days. Just as long your not waiting no longer than 3 days to wash your hair.
http://maxhydrationmethod.com/the-max-hydration-method-detailed-regimen/

It is strongly encouraged to use mhm approved products but if you are using something that you know for sure is absolutely working for you then feel free to keep on using it. Please look at the no,no ingredients list on the website when choosing your products.
http://maxhydrationmethod.com/2014/08/16/mhm-recommended-product-list/

Once reaching about 60% hydration then feel free to use one of the shorten versions of the mhm, youtuber danabnatural or aketafitgirl's regimen.

http://maxhydrationmethod.com/2014/...-once-you-are-getting-close-to-max-hydration/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86yYgJSou8U&list=UUWVkXZnMGimzb45ZfSXxt2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCOrFShfjRU&list=UUWVkXZnMGimzb45ZfSXxt2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNRRAfegyyI&list=UUWVkXZnMGimzb45ZfSXxt2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCEvHHQD_-g&list=UU2hK7kADTBL_G43M_iOLJdQ

Please update us monthly. Make sure to post your pre-mhm photos of your wet hair before starting. Remember no pics, no proof which makes this challenge less motivating. If the maximum hydration method isn't quite working for you, dont just quit, come to your LHCF family or ask Pinke Cube or msdeekay2012 and we just might be able to help you.

Pinke Cube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/PinkeCarrot

Msdeekay2012
http://www.youtube.com/user/msdeekay2012
http://www.msdeekay.com/the-maximum-hydration-method/

Protective Princess
http://www.youtube.com/user/ProtectivePrincess/videos

BHM mhm Thread
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937.html

A little hair Candy- MHM Instagram
http://instagram.com/maxhydrationmethod

Thats all a came up with faithVA you add whatever details you think I am missing and make it beautiful, lol

SpiceUpMyHair

faithVA

I can't bc I am in school. Next year I am starting clinicals as well. I am told that will be the hardest year of my program. I don't want to commit to something and not be available.:sad:

aharri23

I really don't know. I leave it on for 30 minutes because I have other things to do. When I used the baking soda it only took 15 minutes. Does it take your hair longer than 15 minutes with the baking soda? The baking soda opens my cuticles more and probably faster than the castille soap.

Do you heat your conditioner? Perhaps you can shorten your first step anyway and just heat your conditioner. I found that heating my conditioner helped open my cuticles even when I used ACV for the first step.

How do you know when your cuticles are opened?

I have been doing the same and I agree. My mix is now smoother and does go on much smoother. I am also not experiencing as much dryness as before but I still only leave it on for 15 minutes. I still plan to switch to rhassoul clay or pink clay because I hear they are even better.

I am low-po but I may try the ACV suggestion. I really want to try a shortened regimen but I'm scared cause I like the way my hair feels these days. I may try ProtectivePrincess' regimen for a week or two and see how I like it

faithVA

[USER said:
aharri23;20694381[/USER]]How do you know when your cuticles are opened?

I am low-po but I may try the ACV suggestion. I really want to try a shortened regimen but I'm scared cause I like the way my hair feels these days. I may try ProtectivePrincess' regimen for a week or two and see how I like it

When my cuticles are open with the baking soda, my hair feels rough to the touch and it actually starts to tangle or stick together. With the baking soda, my hair does that between the 10 and 15 minute mark. It sort of bristles.

I'm lo-po also. When I use the ACV I just heat my conditioner.

I thought you had already come up with a shortened regimen.

Maybe try just doing each step for 15 minutes instead of the full term.

Let me know if you try ProtectivePrincess' regimen. My concern is with lo-po hair, if I don't remove the residue from the conditioner before applying the leave-in, that the leave-in won't absorb into my hair.

aharri23

When my cuticles are open with the baking soda, my hair feels rough to the touch and it actually starts to tangle or stick together. With the baking soda, my hair does that between the 10 and 15 minute mark. It sort of bristles.

I'm lo-po also. When I use the ACV I just heat my conditioner.

I thought you had already come up with a shortened regimen.

Maybe try just doing each step for 15 minutes instead of the full term.

Let me know if you try ProtectivePrincess' regimen. My concern is with lo-po hair, if I don't remove the residue from the conditioner before applying the leave-in, that the leave-in won't absorb into my hair.

Gotcha, I will try to look for that next time I do the baking soda step.

I did shorten the original regimen to 15mins for each step 3x a week but I may shorten it even more by just co-wash during the week and do the full regimen 1x a week. That is what ProtectivePrincess is doing.

faithVA

Gotcha, I will try to look for that next time I do the baking soda step.

I did shorten the original regimen to 15mins for each step 3x a week but I may shorten it even more by just co-wash during the week and do the full regimen 1x a week. That is what ProtectivePrincess is doing.

I haven't tried it yet but I am going to try doing Step 1 and then Step 4 and 5 and see how that works. I will share when I do.

aharri23

I haven't tried it yet but I am going to try doing Step 1 and then Step 4 and 5 and see how that works. I will share when I do.

I actually did that before accidentally. I was doing step 1 then my brother called me to go pick him up from work. So I didn't have time to do the whole regimen or he would be waiting for an hour or so :lol: but my hair turned out pretty good. I didn't try it multiple times though

faithVA

I actually did that before accidentally. I was doing step 1 then my brother called me to go pick him up from work. So I didn't have time to do the whole regimen or he would be waiting for an hour or so :lol: but my hair turned out pretty good. I didn't try it multiple times though

That's good to know. I plan to use this for my midweek wash and then do the full regimen on the weekend. Right now I'm being lazy and only doing it once a week.

fasika

Just did day 2. I already got too lazy and modified further lol. If you recall, I went to bed last night after Step 5, without gelling my hair but just sealing with oil. I baggied as well. My hair felt very very soft, moist and was quite curly all day today. It felt cool to the touch, which tells me that my hair is moisturized well.

Today's procedure was super simple. I had some left-over clay mix from yesterday. I added some baking soda, yogurt, honey, EVOO and more clay to it. I rinsed my hair thoroughly, did a cowash with VS like last time, then applied the clay mix. IOW, I combined all the steps in one go.

The clay felt very different going on than it did yesterday. My hair felt much drier, and I was wondering if it was the baking soda or the yogurt that made it that way.

I left it on for about 1.5hrs then washed off. As soon as the clay started to wash off, my hair felt entirely different. It was soft, and did not feel dry at all, not at all like I was dreading. In fact, it's even more defined than before.

I immediately followed with diluted Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol, then sealed with grapeseed oil, then finally gelled with Ecostyler Olive Gel. None of these products are approved, but I JUST bought them (quite literally within the past 2 weeks), so they have to be used up before I go get the approved stuff.

Anyway, I'm now letting the wash'n'go dry as I type this. My hair is definitely elongated curly and flatter to my scalp. I'm not sure if the sections that are usually frizzy are curling up more than usual, but those that are already relatively curly with minimal effort are just going full throttle.

I'm thinking that if I follow the procedure to a T (products and steps, including CL), I will likely see a pretty drastic transformation within the 7 days considering that even doing my own version is showing me positive change within just 2 days.

faithVA

Just did day 2. I already got too lazy and modified further lol. If you recall, I went to bed last night after Step 5, without gelling my hair but just sealing with oil. I baggied as well. My hair felt very very soft, moist and was quite curly all day today. It felt cool to the touch, which tells me that my hair is moisturized well.

Today's procedure was super simple. I had some left-over clay mix from yesterday. I added some baking soda, yogurt, honey, EVOO and more clay to it. I rinsed my hair thoroughly, did a cowash with VS like last time, then applied the clay mix. IOW, I combined all the steps in one go.

The clay felt very different going on than it did yesterday. My hair felt much drier, and I was wondering if it was the baking soda or the yogurt that made it that way.

I left it on for about 1.5hrs then washed off. As soon as the clay started to wash off, my hair felt entirely different. It was soft, and did not feel dry at all, not at all like I was dreading. In fact, it's even more defined than before.

I immediately followed with diluted Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol, then sealed with grapeseed oil, then finally gelled with Ecostyler Olive Gel. None of these products are approved, but I JUST bought them (quite literally within the past 2 weeks), so they have to be used up before I go get the approved stuff.

Anyway, I'm now letting the wash'n'go dry as I type this. My hair is definitely elongated curly and flatter to my scalp. I'm not sure if the sections that are usually frizzy are curling up more than usual, but those that are already relatively curly with minimal effort are just going full throttle.

I'm thinking that if I follow the procedure to a T (products and steps, including CL), I will likely see a pretty drastic transformation within the 7 days considering that even doing my own version is showing me positive change within just 2 days.

Why did you add baking soda to your clay? I'm just curious. I've not seen that before.

fasika

I didn't want to do the BS rinse first, since that would easily add another hr or two. So I just added it to the mix.

One thing I'm not too thrilled with is that my scalp does not feel as clean as I'd like. I'll probably focus on cleaning it tomorrow during the BS rinse (I'll do it separately from the clay just so I can focus on cleaning the scalp).

AJellyCake

That's how my hair feels, and I think it's one reason MHM has been so great for my hair: the conditioner can actually penetrate. Without this step it just sits on top of my low-po hair unless I use heat.

faithVA

That's how my hair feels, and I think it's one reason MHM has been so great for my hair: the conditioner can actually penetrate. Without this step it just sits on top of my low-po hair unless I use heat.

I definitely know the feeling. I went through a lot of products thinking they would help but they rarely did. I always used heat but my hair never felt moisturized the next day. Now I understand that after I rinsed out the conditioner none of the LOCing or LCOing was doing anything. My hair just felt greasy. I wasted all of that product :lol: