Do you put castor oil on your scalp?

Americka

I was just wondering if anyone actually puts it on their scalp. Any problems with it?

I use it on my hairline, temples,and nape. I haven't had any problems. It is kinda thick so a little goes a long way. I have only been using it for two weeks. I have also used a little on the length of my hair. My hair was soft and the ends looked good. I think I will alternate it with EVOO.

msa

I don't put it on my scalp. It has no proven nutritive benefits and since it's so thick I feel like it would just clog my scalp up. I only use it on the length of my hair for sealing purposes.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I use it on my edges and on my hair but not so much on my scalp. As a kid mom would put castor oil on our heads to "clear the cold out of our heads". As an adult I tried it again (because it worked when I was young. We were rarely sick) and it gave me a sinus infection. :look: So only on the hairline and hair for me.

I don't put it on my scalp. It has no proven nutritive benefits and since it's so thick I feel like it would just clog my scalp up. I only use it on the length of my hair for sealing purposes.

None whatsoever? I heard it similar to our sebum...

msa

None whatsoever? I heard it similar to our sebum...

That's jojoba oil.

Castor oil is great for protecting the hair though, at least that's my opinion. I don't believe it actually makes the strands thicker. But, I do believe it helps keep hair on your head by providing protection from breakage as a sealer.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
no- i don't like anything on my scalp (never stuck w/topical growth aids because of this) i like to use co on my ends

swalker31

I do put it on my scalp once a week, and I haven't noticed any negative effects. I'm not really sure about positive effects either, becuase its only been 3 weeks. I got this regimen from this indian women on you tube, I don't know how credible she is but I said why not. The clip is below you have to scroll down a bit to get her English translation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpUstm9QOzo

Last edited:

knt1229

I have put it on my scalp and there was no negative effect. It made my hair soft, moisturized and non greasy. If you do decide to use it on your scalp just remember a little goes a long way. It's easy to use too much. So use only a little.

BrownEyez22

I usually apply it to my edges and ends, but recently I have been trying a little bit on my scalp. I also added some to my beemine bottle.

aa9746

I use it straight on my scalp and hair. And, I also mix it with jojoba. Depends on my mood. I just like Castor oil :grin:.

PinkPebbles

I did a test this past Saturday by applying the JBCO only on the right front side section of my hair (scalp) as a prepoo. I noticed that the area where I applied the JBCO is much shinier and moisturized than the rest of my hair. I will continue to do the weekly prepoo only on that section to see if it really thickens up the hair.

Reecie

I did a test this past Saturday by applying the JBCO only on the right front side section of my hair (scalp) as a prepoo. I noticed that the area where I applied the JBCO is much shinier and moisturized than the rest of my hair. I will continue to do the weekly prepoo only on that section to see if it really thickens up the hair.

Hmmm. Very interesting. Where did you buy your JBCO?

Bachelorette

well I have a mix of castor oil, jojoba oil and coconut oil that I do put ibn my scalp about once a week. sometimes twice

Reecie

Maybe we can have a challenge. Regular castor oil would work too, right?

I don't see why it wouldn't work. According to Sunshyne, either one works. I would definately use the JBCO. Are you going to start a challenge?

sunshinelady

I don't see why it wouldn't work. According to Sunshyne, either one works. I would definately use the JBCO. Are you going to start a challenge?

If I could find JBCo locally, I'd use it. Seems like I heard it smelled really badly.

I have a few topical aids I need to finish up first. Why don't you start a challenge? I'll join you later on.

*Frisky*

If I could find JBCo locally, I'd use it. Seems like I heard it smelled really badly.

I have a few topical aids I need to finish up first. Why don't you start a challenge? I'll join you later on.

It does have a weird smell but not too bad IMO..using regular castor oil should be just as good.

I have applied to my scalp before but not recently. It seemed to soften up my new growth.

WorkInProgress88

i light my hair "light" (not too much product to weigh down my hair) ... castor oil is too thick for me...only use it on my edges and on ends sometimes....im in love w/ coconut oil

pri

I use to put it on my scalp and I had to stop w/ the oil on scalp b/c all it did for me was give me scalp pimples and make my head sore...now that I don't put anything on my scalp..it feels great and refreshed. It does however soften the ng...but I only use oils in conditioner and to seal w/ now.

KiniKakes

When I was using castor oil, it was within my Suave conditioner to con-wash. I didn't use castor oil plain because it was way too thick/sticky, and wasnt good for my thin/fine strands.

So I guess to answer your question, it technically did go on my scalp, since i con-washed my entire head. BUT just not straight-up/undiluted.

Pandora1975

If it isn't already a challenge, I wouldn't specify types... that way comparisons can be made. I personally plan on the standard, light variety.

tenderheaded

I've used cold pressed castor oil on my scalp since 11/07 with nothing but good results. Castor oil was the original antiseptic before others came along, and it helps keep scalp pimples away and sooth any relaxer irritation.

KdsLady09

I mix castor oil with tea tree, avocado and peppermint oils for my scalp oil.

My understanding is that castor oil can act as an anti-fungal oil and anti- inflammatory. For those of us with scalp issues, it can truly help.

I found this on an organic facts website.

Hair Care: The germicidal, insecticidal and fungicidal properties of Ricin and Ricinoleic acid present in castor oil protect the scalp and hair from microbial and fungal infections, the two prime causes for hair loss. In addition, the fatty acids in it nourish hair and prevent the scalp from drying by retaining moisture.
Other Benefits: Ricinoleic acid is anti inflammatory in nature.

http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/seed-and-nut/health-benefits-of-castor-seed-oil.html

Last edited: