The Facts about Porosity?

mg1979

Is it just me, or is there a lot of inconsistent information out there about porosity: low versus high, characteristics of low and how porosity, testing for porosity, what products/ingredients to use, what products/ingredients to avoid, purpose of Roux Porosity Control, etc.? For example, I noticed some people say Roux Porosity Control is to correct low porosity and some say its to correct high porosity.

Are there any true experts on porosity willing to correct the misinformation?

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
This helped me when I first joined the Forum. I was told by several stylist and a few kitchen-ticians that I had overly porous hair possibly from Over/Double processing etc.....:blush:

And since I was suffering from Overly Porous Hair (inability to retain moisture etc...) I incorporated PC or a PC-like product into my Regimen as a final rinse.

To restrict/close the cuticle and lock in the moisture I was putting in by DC'ing with Heat. Since I always use Heat to DC which opens the Cuticle, I used the product to close/restrict/smooth the cuticle after the DC Session.

Also to return the Ph Balance to the Normal Range.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=341855&highlight=porosity+the+forgotten+step

mg1979

http://www.hairliciousinc.com/2008/09/porosity-control-conditioner-101.html

It corrects pH, which corrects porosity, be it high or low.

ETA: not a "true expert" I suppose; but I have been using this product for 3 years straight. My hair was VERY porous before I discovered this product.

So this is why I'm confused-how can the same product correct both high porosity hair and low porosity hair? Wouldn't it either do one or the other?

I have low porosity which means my cuticles are too tightly closed. Porosity Control has a lower pH making it more acidic and closes the cuticle. How could it correct low porosity if low porosity hair is already too tightly closed? I would think I need something more alkaline to open it so that it can absorb product. If I used Porosity Control as a final step after a deep condition like some do, I would think it would just be doing what my hair does on its own. If I did it before the deep condition as some do, I would think my dc would not be able to penetrate at all. If so, couldn't that make my hair worse?

*CherryPie*

It does NOT correct low porosity. It will make the problem worse.

For low porosity, you would need something alkaline like shampoo bar or baking soda, etc. to open the cuticle.

So this is why I'm confused-how can the same product correct both high porosity hair and low porosity hair? Wouldn't it either do one or the other?

I have low porosity which means my cuticles are too tightly closed. Porosity Control has a lower pH making it more acidic and closes the cuticle. How could it correct low porosity if low porosity hair is already too tightly closed? I would think I need something more alkaline to open it so that it can absorb product. If I used Porosity Control as a final step after a deep condition like some do, I would think it would just be doing what my hair does on its own. If I did it before the deep condition as some do, I would think my dc would not be able to penetrate at all. If so, couldn't that make my hair worse?

LaidBak

If the correct porosity is achieved at say, 4.5pH (or whatever it is); and highly porous hair has a higher pH, and lower porosity hair has a lower pH-- then it makes logical sense that it would correct low porosity by raising its pH to the proper level the same way that it addresses highly porous hair by lowering its pH.
*shrugs*
If not, please explain why.

LaidBak

Good example in that blog! So there you go OP.
But I suppose if you want a 'true expert' you're going to have to write a chemist, or the manufacturer.

*CherryPie*

If you're using this as reference, look at the bolded.

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 17, 2011

Low Porosity Hair
When thinking about hair porosity, I think of hair as a sponge. Porous hair (high pH level) is like a sponge with large holes, taking in a lot of moisture. Low porosity hair is like a sponge in a plastic bag. It's hard for liquid to penetrate it, but if held under water, eventually the sponge absorbs the liquid. Porosity is mainly controlled by how 'tightly' closed the cuticles on your hair are. The cuticles close in acidic conditions, and open more in basic conditions.

Symptoms of Low Porosity Hair:

* Hair floats when you do the strand test (put a clean strand of hair in a cup of water and see if it floats or sinks)
* Hair takes a while to get wet
* Hair takes long to dry
* Water and oil just sit on the hair
* Hard to moisturize (aka your hair stays dry)
* Hair is sensitive to protein
* Relaxers don't "take"

If any of this applies to you, you may have hair with low porosity! My hair definitely has trouble retaining moisture, takes a while to dry sometimes, and floats when I put it in water. I realized a couple of months ago that my hair had low porosity because treating my hair with low pH levels wasn't working.

Ways to manage lo-po hair:

Use warm water to rinse. It is recommended that we rinse conditioner out with cold water to seal the cuticle, but since low-porosity hair already has a closed cuticle, you don't want to seal it anymore.

Stay away from acidic shampoos and conditioners. For a while I was using Roux Porosity Control, but eventually I noticed that it either did nothing for my hair, or it made it hard. My hair can take apple cider vinegar (ACV) sometimes, but not a lot and not often. I've been using Organic Root Stimulator Aloe-Rid Shampoo, which I love. It clarifies my hair, opens my cuticles enough to accept a deep condition, and makes my hair soft.

Steaming. The hot steam will open up the cuticles, which is why so many low-porosity heads love steaming. I don't have a steamer, so I do the "DIY" method, which is applying conditioner, then a plastic cap, then a very hot wet towel, then another plastic cap, then another hot towel, then another plastic cap. Then I sit under the dryer for at least 15 minutes.

Use moisture-rich products. It is said that this hair type is least resistant to damage through styling and grooming, but it's really important to keep it moisturized. Be careful with the protein! My hair doesn't seem to be too sensitive to protein, so I try to incorporate a light protein in my hair for every wash, whether it's the pre-poo, deep condition, or leave-in conditioner. It's even more important for low-porosity hair to have a good moisture/protein balance. I'm still on a the hunt to find a good moisturizer. My hair is also sensitive to too much oil, so I have to be very light-handed when applying oils.

DC with heat. This is important. It's even more important to deep condition for a substantial amount of time. If I can, I'll leave in my conditioner over night, or for hours while I do housework/run errands/go to the gym.

Baggy the hair. This is basically bullying your hair to accept moisture. Because my hair is fine, baggying for a long time turns my hair into mush and makes it even more fragile. So, I usually baggy for about 2 hours at a time and that's it. I apply a little moisturizer and then put on a plastic cap for a couple of hours. I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks, about 3 days a week, but I can already tell a difference in my moisture level.

Heat before relaxing to open the cuticle. I don't have a problem with relaxers straightening my hair, but many women will flat iron or blow dry their hair before relaxing to open up the cuticles so that the relaxer takes a shorter time to straighten the roots.

Use alkaline products with a high pH (above 6, or so). Baking soda rinse - baking soda is alkaline.

Apply a semi-permanent color. Semi-permanent color lifts the cuticle
I am not sure if my hair always had a low pH level, or if it came with having a child or just getting older.

I'm determined to keep my hair moist, thick and healthy, so I will continue to try new products, techniques and tools!

bb09

Thanks for starting the thread OP.
The one thing I don't understand, is should we (low porosity) be closing the cuticle as a final step, Then moisturising?

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I did the strand test and my hair sits at the bottom... Didn't float. I have none of the low porosity issues listed above so does this mean I have high porosity or normal porosity? I've been using roux porosity control conditioner for several months because I assumed I had low porosity. What do I do to keep it this way? I have fine strands and have recently learned here that I have to treat it like an antique lace fabric...isn't this the truth.

mg1979

Thanks for starting the thread OP.
The one thing I don't understand, is should we (low porosity) be closing the cuticle as a final step, Then moisturising?

I did the strand test and my hair sits at the bottom... Didn't float. I have none of the low porosity issues listed above so does this mean I have high porosity or normal porosity? I've been using roux porosity control conditioner for several months because I assumed I had low porosity. What do I do to keep it this way? I have fine strands and have recently learned here that I have to treat it like an antique lace fabric...isn't this the truth.

Bumping for your answers...

isawstars

Thank you so much for this thread! I have been confused as well and I even thought I had high porosity all along... but no, I have major low porosity. No idea!! No wonder my hair is always dry even after deep conditioning!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Right, wrong or indifferent, Roux PC worsened my low porosity hair. While using the product, my hair was always dry. Apparently the product was closing my cuticles tighter and tighter, thereby making it even harder to properly moisturize my hair. Since stopping product usage, my hair is able to receive moisture much easier.

*CherryPie*

If it sinks right to the bottom, you have high porosity.

kupenda

I have low porosity, relaxed, lightly bleached hair. I make sure to DC under a hooded dryer and I always moisturize and seal. I don't use porosity control. Instead I use water temperature to control my porosity. When I wash my hair, I start with a very warm rinse. Sometimes I baggy before taking a shower. Then I shampoo. When I condition, I leave it in and gradually turn down the temperature to get my body prepared. When it's time to rinse, I use cold water. Not cool. Cold. Which results in very very smooth, soft, manageable hair. But I also cowash or rinse my hair daily so moisturizing isn't usually an issue. Idk if this is helpful or a waste of time though.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

bb09

bumping for responses.
Why should low porosity hair ppl close the cuticle as a final step (e.g. with very diluted ACV -or soft water), and Then moisturise? Wouldn't it make more sense to moisturise /use leave-ins, and then seal it in somehow?

mg1979

bumping for responses.
Why should low porosity hair ppl close the cuticle as a final step (e.g. with very diluted ACV -or soft water), and Then moisturise? Wouldn't it make more sense to moisturise /use leave-ins, and then seal it in somehow?

I was wondering that too, but I'm wondering if sealing is even necessary.

aviddiva77

Thanks you for post OP cuz I get confused! I have symptoms from both high and low porosity! I tend to lose moisture more than "normal" people though so I guess high porosity?:giveup:

NaijaNaps

I have highly porous hair and it loves the following:

- Roux Porosity Control
- Aubrey Organics GBP
- Henna
- Rinsing with cold water

Fhrizzball

I have low porosity hair or rather I think I do. When I do the strand test it always floats even when I try to cover it with water. My hair takes forever to dry and oils by themselves don't work on my hair as they only sit or make it tangly.

What I do is I henna monthly though the henna itself may contribute to the low porosity perhaps, I wash with warm water, I baggy my conditioner when I shower and rinse that out last. Also I use cream leave ins in conjunction with a lighter leave in for just using a cream or butter on its own will cause it to sit on my hair as it takes days for it to penetrate and it's only then do I need to reapply. If I just use a lighter leave in on its own I need to apply more often. EVCO is the only oil that helps as it actually helps with detangling and penetrates more readily.

I tried Roux before but it was neutral on my hair. I didn't use it for long though.

Embyra

I have extremely LOW porosity water doesnt effect my hair im under the shower 45-60 mins doing my hair and my hair when i come out is DAMP not soaking wet DAMP!:rolleyes:

I love using oils on my hair and will never stop using them but yes they do take forever to sink into my hair

Im going to eventually get round to using the cherry lola treatment but the thought of using gritty baking soda on my hair doesnt thrill me:ohwell:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I have extremely LOW porosity water doesnt effect my hair im under the shower 45-60 mins doing my hair and my hair when i come out is DAMP not soaking wet DAMP!:rolleyes:

I love using oils on my hair and will never stop using them but yes they do take forever to sink into my hair

Im going to eventually get round to using the cherry lola treatment but the thought of using gritty baking soda on my hair doesnt thrill me:ohwell:
Embyra - steaming might help you if you haven't already tried that.

ms.blue

I started using roux pc and at first, it was a miracle product (I believe my hair was porous due to heat usage) but after I limited the use of heat, my hair reacted badly to roux pc. I guess my hair changed from high to low on its own.