Hair Porosity....I'm sooo confused!!!

Ms_Twana

Okay ladies. My ends have been looking raggedy. They are frizzy and poofy. So I decided to try Porosity Control, even though I couldn't figure out if I have low porosity or high porosity. So I did a touch up yesterday and I used PC as my final conditioner (after my DC but before my leave in). I put emphasis on my ends because I knew they needed some help. After completing my wash process, I SWEAR my ends were dry after like 15-20 minutes.

I don't know if that was because of the PC or if it was because my hair was out. I normally put my hair in a bun immediately after washing. So I don't rememeber if my hair used to dry that fast when it was out or not.

After reading another thread and some other websites, I was thinking that I have low porosity because relaxers take a MINUTE to process my hair and when I was natural, it felt like it took forever for my hair to get wet (not so much now while I'm texlaxed). In which if I do have low porosity, that means my cuticles are already closed too tight and I don't need PC, I need baking soda to open them up, right?

So I need HELP. I have NO clue what my hair's porosity is or how I need to treat my frizzy poofy ends.

gymfreak336

Hey Ms Twana....

You probably have a predisposition to have low porosity given your dense thick coarse strands. Looking at your hair pics, your ends are probably just a little frizzy from being the oldest parts of your hair. Every frizzy end issue isn't a porosity problem....its more a porosity management thing which your regime looks to be controlling given your healthy length. Don't reach for the baking soda...baking soda will have a high pH but any constant extreme opening and closing of the hair strand will cause damage.

If you are worried about your ends, it might be time to implement better styling products. They not only help the hair retain a style but dry to form an extra layer of protection and seal the hair shaft. Make sure your ends are getting their dose of strength and fortification during your protein treatments and just keep doing what you are doing. If you notice other problems like splitting, chronic dryness, unmanageably etc...traveling further up your length, worry.

Ms_Twana

but any constant extreme opening and closing of the hair strand will cause damage.

If you notice other problems like splitting, chronic dryness, unmanageably etc...traveling further up your length, worry.

Thanks Gymfreak. That thing about extreme opening and closing of the hair strand is good to know. The way ladies talk about doing it here, I would have never thought it. I am noticing baby splits, but nothing major. Maybe I just need to go back to baggying my ends for a minute to see if that helps. Thanks so much. I was all freaked out and stressed out over this hair porosity thing. :lol:

Last edited:

gymfreak336

Don't stress. The consistency throughout the length of your hair is proof that you are doing more right than wrong. You could even try putting a little conditioner just on the ends for 10-15 minutes before you wash for a while. You don't have any patches of thinness or whatever in your hair so just keep trucking :)