You must first have a lot of Patience to learn Patience...

LexaKing

It's so hard to have patience for hair growth when I see women with such long think beautiful hair! Or when I see amazing hairstyles I wanna rock, like a long French Braid. Im just like, "Ahh I want that so bad right now"! So where do you get the patience to learn patience?! :pullhair:

I hope I make it to my goal this year and don't have any setbacks... Just me ranting! :)

Onhergrind09

The best way I've learned to cultivate patience while growing my hair is by doing those daily things that I know will aid me toward my goal. Every time I M&S, DC, PS, ect. it takes me that much closer to the head of hair I want to have and firmly places my results within my control, which I fond very empowering. I hope I helped! :)

empressri

You just set it and forget it!!

Focus on caring for your hair...but don't obsess over it if that makes sense. Before you realize it you've met your goal.

KurlyNinja

I had to stop thinking of my hair 24/7. I think it was slowly starting to drive me crazy. I still care for my hair, but I don't do all the extra crap anymore. Keep it simple and your mind will be set free...lol.

Rina88

All of you ladies are so right! Now that I've stopped obsessing and enjoying trying new styles I'm starting to notice the growth and am very pleased with my progress everyday. :)

geejay

Take pictures regularly. When I see how far I have come from 3/6/12 months ago, it helps me have patience going forward.

Bun Mistress

All I can say is it will happen. If you take care it will happen. Everyday my hair is longer than it every has been. Don't constantly change thinks up. Just do you and it will happen.

LexaKing

All of you ladies are so right! Now that I've stopped obsessing and enjoying trying new styles I'm starting to notice the growth and am very pleased with my progress everyday. :)

Rina88

Your so right, I need to get to that point. The less I think about it the more changes and new growth I notice. Because now it seems so slow....

MystiqueBabe

MY method is to just hide my hair and stretch my relaxers and oh and ah over the length. There are times when I think I may never reach my hair goals but I am determined.

It is all in the fun of getting there.

katblack

The best thing you can do is enjoy your hair at every stage. I regret not really enjoying my hair for what it is instead of focusing on other people and their hair. You still have to deal with what you have, so the more you love your hair the more you will appreciate it when your hair finally reach that length that you want.
Also, I think it's perfectly fine to look at other people and their hair and see the beauty in that. I think it should come from a place of admiration and not obssession and or competition. Their hair and their journey will always be individual as is your own. Besides, you'll have to wait for growth with or without patience....

reeko43

I look at people's documented progress. Sera2544 on Youtube has documented her growth from less than an inch to waist length. It encourages me to think that my goals are possible. People like her didn't experience 6 inches overnight but patiently nurtured their hair to phenomenal lengths. In the meantime, as others have stated, I am enjoying the length I have now.

Beverly Ann Properties

Patience, patience , patience. If you want to achieve longer and healthier hair, you must have patience. Everyone's hair is different and grows at a different rate. Once you figure out how much your hair grows every month, then you can seriously work on retaining your growth through the methods discussed on this forum. Don't compare your hair with any one else's hair. Just be true to your hair journey and you will reap the benefits down the road. Every milestone for me is a celebration, no matter how long it takes me to get there. You can do it!

LexaKing

Beverly Ann Properties said:
Patience, patience , patience. If you want to achieve longer and healthier hair, you must have patience. Everyone's hair is different and grows at a different rate. Once you figure out how much your hair grows every month, then you can seriously work on retaining your growth through the methods discussed on this forum. Don't compare your hair with any one else's hair. Just be true to your hair journey and you will reap the benefits down the road. Every milestone for me is a celebration, no matter how long it takes me to get there. You can do it!

Thank you Beverly Ann Properties ! Your words are the truth!

lilyofthenile

I would say first be realistic about your goals. Set them according to what you can achieve, depending on the time and resources you have.

Secondly, focus on health over hair length - healthy hair usually has long hair as a result. Enjoy your hair at every stage because you may not like long hair and having to deal with it. Thirdly, do whatever you can to maximise your hair growth by using proper hair care techniques.

I find that hiding my hair really helps me and life itself just keeps me too busy to wonder too much about it. =)

Evolving78

i believe a simple regimen will help with having patience. when i don't have one in place, i am all over the place! i do all kinds of crap to my hair, not so much to make it grow, but to keep it on my head. that's where i get into trouble.

so now i am going to focus on washing, roller setting, and bunning. that's it.

finding a good moisturizer is key for me as well. i really like HE Long Term Relationship, but i read they changed the formula. anyway, keeping it simple and sticking to what works is the key.

i think we should start a KIS support group. not so much to check in, but to just help talk and try to help each other eliminate a bunch of stuff and things we are doing to stunt our progress. just like Empressri stated, "we need to set it and forget it!"

enjoy your hair! i like my roller sets and i bought a bunch of accessories to bun and clip my hair up with. i just thought i could find an easy way to make it all work. my new reggie is simple, but it still takes work.

D.Lisha

I agree with the other posters that mentioned to hide your hair. Personally, this is my method of choice. I PS underwigs for the most part, and stretch my relaxers in between. From there I enjoy my hair for about a week or two....and then it's back to PSing. It doesn't bother me at all, because I love the suspense of seeing how much growth I've retained in between relaxer stretches (

I also suggest that you take the time out to focus on other aspects of yourself while you embark on this hair journey. For example, I've recently put myself to the challenge of uping my water intake to about 96oz/day as well as developing a steadfast exercising routine. This will benefit both my hair and overall health. #killingtwobirdswithonestone :yep:

As the old saying goes "A watched pot never boils!". The longer one obesses over length, the longer it will take to get there (believe me!).

StarScream35

You really want the real answer? You sure? Okay........you must stop coming to LHCF so much. It can be depressing to see all those pictures of women with flowing natural or relaxed hair. Then there are the posts by women who have figured their hair out and have the right regimen.............it'll just make you more and more frustrated. LOL! I'm actually being sarcastic. Patience is something that is learned over time. Try being on the right track and then have a major setback............this can include using the wrong products that wreck havoc on your hair, seasonal changes that screw with your hair or some stupid scissor happy stylist that just wants to cut cut cut. It's all happened to me and you have no choice but to learn patience. I suppose I have an advantage over you though. I first grew my hair long in the late 90's and there was no LHCF or other women around me who had long hair. I was alone which kinda made it easier. There were no yearly waist length challenge or anything like that lol. Also, I have had waist length hair many times since then so my mind set is a little different. I'm just going with the flow.

My suggestion for you is to read a good hair book and learn as much as you can. The Science of Black Hair is an excellent read. Get a hobby........learn how to play an acoustic guitar or something like that. This will take lots of your attention and that's what you want. Last, the hardest thing is finding a stylist who understands what you are trying to do. In the black community this is an uphill battle. Many stylists are all about cutting and styling not healthy hair. Many are offended when you question them or refuse what they offer. Perhaps you'll come to a period where you don't rely on stylists and can do your own hair.

I wish you the best. Any questions, shoot me an email!

Loving

shortdub78...I agree that a KISS support group would be great. I joined in November and got so caught up and overwhelmed with all the products and techniques here. I decided since January to keep it simple and I am now enjoying my hair journey more now than I was before.

To the OP, sad to say, the only way you are going to become patient is to be patient. I do all the little things (M&S, bunning, rollersetting) as I know that at each touch up, I will see the results of my dedication.

MyCoilsGoBoing

It's especially frustrating for me because no matter how long my hair gets, my shrinkage is the same. I have a KISS regimen for my hair. I recently blew it out so I could get it braided and was AMAZED at the length. So I must be doing something right. I've given myself a lengthy time frame to reach my goals in case I encounter any setbacks.

LexaKing

I do enjoy M&S and wrapping and bunning my hair because I know I'm helping to keep it healthy, strong, and retain length. Being on a Jair journey is exciting and nerve racking at the same time because you won't know how well your regimen is doing until months later. I have a few staples, but I haven't found my favorite DC yet. The ORS replenishing pack was to heavy, and the Aussie 3 min is ok. My impatience comes from me being excited to see where I am in my journey few months from now :) But I do love my length already!