Detangling wet hair

Lilmama1011

I have heard that some detangle why its dry so that it will be better to detangle when wet , does your hair still tangle up when it wet even though you detangling when it dry? And the ones that detangling and braid, do your hair feel all the way clean while washing in braids and are all of you natural that do this because I don't know how a relaxed hair person can keep the braid in without it unraveling? And what's the best detangler for a relaxed head that 11 almost 12 weeks post? Is it still mane and tail? Because this is the longest I have stretched and the detangling is getting crazy and I'm looking for something to help me out. I know it's ok to loose a hundred hairs a day but not by breakage! I have little to no patience, I know I must have patience but someone just help me out, thanks in advance :)

the best option for me is to finger detangle after washing. i do dry detangle before i wash to get rid of shed hairs. i lose more hair when i use the comb to detangle. i really like finger detangling but my hair starts to dry out on me. i guess i will just have to keep rewetting.

i just bought Mizani detangling spray not too long ago. it works alright, but it dries, but it seems Mane and Tail is still good to me. i can't do the braid thing while relaxed. that worked fine when i was natural, but not now.

but try finger detangling with a detangling spray after you wash your hair.

I washed my hair at 9 weeks post and I got hella tangles. Trying to comb it with conditioner was not working so I rinsed the conditioner out and decided to detangle when I got out. It was all bad. Even my Mane N Tail Dentangler couldn't help me. I let it dry and just went through and detangled with my fingers. I don't think the comb can help me at this point.

From now until I relax at 16 weeks I'm keeping my hair braided with black rubberbands on the end. I just use scissors to cut the rubberbands off. I'm going to take the braids out and detangle dry before I relax. I really liked using my fingers because it allowed me to work the knots and tangles out instead of yanking my hair out.

I haven't combed my hair in a little over 3 years. I think my hair is not prone to tangles. I think for me it's about the products I use and AVG has been the best thing for me but then again even when I was transitioning I didn't get tangles.

For me, it is best to sit under the steamer with a deep condition and then detangle. At that point, my hair has lots of slip. If I co-wash, I use moisturizing V05 and my hair has lots of slip and is easy to detangle. I always use a very wide tooth comb.

Last edited:
I also finger detangle and use aloe as part of my final rinse. Several weeks post I'll lightly run the comb through my roots only to stretch the ng but I then finger detangle as my hair is drying after a cowash. I also keep my hair hanging in one direction throughout my wash.

I'm nine weeks post and get a lot of tangles after washing even if I comb before washing. What I’ve been doing lately is detangle freshly washed hair after it’s dry. This way the comb goes through much easier and I lose less hair. My next step is to spray my Infusium mixture (1/2 water ½ Infusium leave-in) on my hair and roll with magnetic rollers.

Through trial and error I realize that my hair behaves so much better when I add oils to my conditioners. I kind of gave up on shampoo, I was slowly destroying my hair by ripping through the tangles on wash day. My hair is thanking me for the oil/conditioner combo.

hair4romheaven said:
I haven't combed my hair in a little over 3 years. I think my hair is not prone to tangles. I think for me it's about the products I use and AVG has been the best thing for me but then again even when I was transitioning I didn't get tangles.

Seriously?!?! Never heard of someone not getting tangles,thats great tho

Nix08 said:
I also finger detangle and use aloe as part of my final rinse. Several weeks post I'll lightly run the comb through my roots only to stretch the ng but I then finger detangle as my hair is drying after a cowash. I also keep my hair hanging in one direction throughout my wash.

I do the one direction wash as well

Misseyl said:
I'm nine weeks post and get a lot of tangles after washing even if I comb before washing. What I’ve been doing lately is detangle freshly washed hair after it’s dry. This way the comb goes through much easier and I lose less hair. My next step is to spray my Infusium mixture (1/2 water ½ Infusium leave-in) on my hair and roll with magnetic rollers.

I was thinking of waiting until it dried but scared I would set in the tangles. Because with my hair dry and with the new growth my hair doesn't like to be manipulated, with it being wet, it's at it's weakest point so scared but with it damp is much better because it's in between the stages

Finger detangling while dry helps with detangling afterwards. Also a low/no poo regimen works great for me followed up with a leave-in conditioner and then applying oil to my hair.

I detangle my hair once it saturated with aloe vera juice, safflower oil (or jojoba oil) and coconut oil. I let that sit on my hair for 30 minutes to an hour before I detangle. I find that I don't have to detangle much more after washing my hair.

i only comb wet hair on wash day coated in leave-in and its separated in 4 sections. as i work on each section i break those up horizontally into 3-4 sections. when washing i do 4-6 sections that i braid loosely so i can get to my scalp when i wash or co-wash. the shower comb glides easily through my hair. i can detangle and do twist for my staple twistout style in 45-60 minutes. i think for me and my hair type detangling on wet hair and on wash day helps me to retain length.

I only detangle my hair while wet. I use co-cleansers with lots of slip, like Wen. After I let the co-cleanser sit for a bit, I detangle with my wide tooth bohn comb. It's the only time I touch my hair with a comb.

I'm probably the only one on this forum that detangles on dry hair. LOL!
I'm asking for it if I try to detangle on wet hair at 12 weeks.

Pre-wash Detanglers: Silken Child Detangler / Mane n Tale Detangler
Post-wash Detanglers: Oyin Juices & Berries / AfroVeda Moringa Detangler

I prefer -cones pre-wash for slip. I try to minimize -cone usage post-wash, thus I opt for handmades. I dry detangle my hair really good pre-wash which makes post-wash damp detangling easier.

Tried finger combing only but that didn't work. I finger comb first to loosen tangles then use the comb to remove them.

I do my primary detangling every single time before I saturate my hair with water or with conditioner - (a dry DC session). I brush completely to get all of the sheds out. When I wash or cw I TRY to continually smooth back instead or smooshing my hair around to keep the tangles at a minimum. That's not always possible (especially in the case of dry DCing.) Anywho, detangling and getting those sheds out before wetting has made a HUGE difference in my retention. After the shower, I use a super wide tooth comb to distribute my oil and leave-in not so much to detangle again though. I would neeeever use a brush of any kind to detangle wet hair.

And since I air dry the result is that my hair is a little frizzy, but I like that texture anyway. It looks more natural to me.

I stretch my hair for more than half a year and i never comb wet hair. That would be a disaster for me. First I finger detangle, then i seperate in four. I 'poo in those sections then take out one at a time to put conditioner,massage it in,then secure again. I rinse the conditioner out by gently smoothing my hair and twisting the ends. Once i put in a detangling leave in i seal it with oil then let my hair dry a little before letting a comb touch it. I detangle 80% dry hair

When I'm that far into a stretch, the best thing for me is to detangle dry hair with my fingers carefully, then part in sections (four if I have the stamina, two if I'm feeling lazy) and loosely braid. In the shower I undo each braid, then wet the section and wash using only the pads of my fingers in a stroking motion in one direction (NEVER using my fingernails or a circular motion) and concentrate on cleansing my scalp. When I feel my scalp is clean, I gently squeeze the suds down the length of my hair to cleanse it (since I PS 80% of the time, it stays mostly clean in braids or buns so that's all it needs), then rinse and repeat. After DCing with heat, I do my final rinse, dry with a t-shirt or Turbie Twist towel to just damp, put in my my moisturizer and Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, then let air dry to about 85% dry. Only then will I detangle with my special detangling comb, one section at a time, after which I either put in a loose bun to dry the rest of the way or I will rewet with a spray bottle one section at a time to roller set. This seams to produce the least amount of breakage for me.

Detangling wet hair for me is a nightmare!! I lose way too much hair when it's wet. What I do now is detangle before washing to remove the shed hairs and then part my hair into four sections and clip each section up after I work in my shampoo and conditioner. Once I'm out of the shower I saturate each section with my leave-in and some kind of setting lotion (love Jane Carter). I loosely clip each section up and allow to partially dry. When it's about 50 percent dry I use I boar bristle brush to detangle and then roller set. I know we are supposed to use a wide tooth comb but that only creates more tangles on my hair! For some reason, using the brush on damp hair detangles and cause little to no breakage for me.

pattyr5 said:
Detangling wet hair for me is a nightmare!! I lose way too much hair when it's wet. What I do now is detangle before washing to remove the shed hairs and then part my hair into four sections and clip each section up after I work in my shampoo and conditioner. Once I'm out of the shower I saturate each section with my leave-in and some kind of setting lotion (love Jane Carter). I loosely clip each section up and allow to partially dry. When it's about 50 percent dry I use I boar bristle brush to detangle and then roller set. I know we are supposed to use a wide tooth comb but that only creates more tangles on my hair! For some reason, using the brush on damp hair detangles and cause little to no breakage for me.

The wide tooth comb misses too much tangles that may be in between the combs smh

I like detangling on damp hair soaked with oil and conditioner (if necessary). Doing it on dry hair doesn't work and wet hair is a disaster.

I detangle before I wash and I've been finger detangle for a couple of months now without a comb. It seems to be working for me.

I have heard that some detangle why its dry so that it will be better to detangle when wet , does your hair still tangle up when it wet even though you detangling when it dry?

Nope, because it doesn't have any shed hair caught in it to cause problems and because when wet I make sure to keep it held in braids to stop it from shrinking up and knotting up.

And the ones that detangling and braid, do your hair feel all the way clean while washing in braids and are all of you natural that do this because I don't know how a relaxed hair person can keep the braid in without it unraveling?

Yes I'm natural, and I do undo the braids and rebraid throughout the wash, but even if I didn't undo, my braids get loose and open up a bit when wet providing gaps for dirt and stuff to flow out. I compare this to washing clothes: you don't need to take fibers apart to get them clean. But if you knew my washing in braids regimen, then you'd see why I don't ever get tangles. Since my regimen involves undoing during the wash, I don't think the unraveling of relaxed hair would really be a problem. I'd turn the braids into bantu knots to keep sections I'm not working on out of the way, or use clips/bands to hold the ends.

And what's the best detangler for a relaxed head that 11 almost 12 weeks post?

No idea. I've never used a detangler. When I was relaxed, I used to part my hair into small sections and comb them from base to ends so my hair was always free of tangles. When I had growth, I found keeping my new growth soft made this regimen of combing through a breeze. Back then I used Paltas. If I were relaxed how, I'd probably use S Curl. If you prevent tangles from coming to be in the first place, there'll be no need for detangling. I've only detangled my hair once since I joined the forum and that was after going to bed with loose hair w/o any product in it. I detangled next day using conditioner on bare hair and finger combed.

Is it still mane and tail?

To me that sounds like some sticky, hardening stuff that will not make detangling easy...but I am not relaxed so I'll sit down before I hurt myself.

Because this is the longest I have stretched and the detangling is getting crazy and I'm looking for something to help me out. I know it's ok to loose a hundred hairs a day but not by breakage! I have little to no patience, I know I must have patience but someone just help me out, thanks in advance :)

I think wide-tooth combs are the debil. They do not help you comb properly through your new growth and so you aren't able to remove shed hair properly and methinks that's the cause of your tangles. And I'm not suggestion you rake a fine tooth comb through a mass of hair. Once you find a product that softens your new growth to make it easy to comb, apply that product they way you relax. Part a small section and smooth the product through. Do that to all your sections. If you need to baggy to make it marinate and work its magic, do so. Then now part those small sections at a time again and comb through with a FINE-TOOTH comb. As you finish each section, twist bantu-knot style and clip it out of the way. When all are done, then you can use a regular comb (the wide-tooth if you must) and run it through your hair. Do this on the weekend and enjoy an easy week.

I think people get overwhelmed when they let shed hair stay trapped in there for so long instead of taking it out daily. And actually if you like braid-outs, then after combing through as I described in the previous paragraph, braid your hair. The good thing about this is it stretches your new growth and so keeps it somewhat open so that shed hair will come out easily. But also the braids keep hair in a state of being detangled...so that even when you do the braid-out, your hair still hangs in a detangled state...and in the evening, you can rebraid it again to keep it from being tangled.

Since I believe natural 4B hair SHOULD be braided up or twisted or banded every night to keep tangles at bay, then I do feel that if you are stretching a relaxer, you should practice this habit too.

Nonie, you mentioned --- I think people get overwhelmed when they let shed hair stay trapped in there for so long instead of taking it out daily.

I totally agree. Now that I'm properly deshedding pre-wash, post-wash combing is easier.

Thank you for this thread, I always thought wide tooth combs were the way to go but I discovered yesterday during my wash that even after applying my deep conditioner like a relaxer I was CREATING MORE TANGLES WITH MY WIDE TOOTH COMB :nono:...smh I had all these knots in my hair and combing my soaking wet relaxed hair to get the tangles out I noted soo much breakage.. I didnt know whether I should pull out a fine tooth comb or keep going with my wide tooth comb or to use a paddle brush:perplexed..I will attempt to just let my hair dry with whatever knots and tangles that are in there and then finger detangle in sections next time when my hair is 80% dry before going in with a comb.. I now see that wet combing is causing my hair to snap and break at the demarcation line... when I have a fresh relaxer I think even during rollersetting I will let it dry first and then wet up each sub-section after I've detangled to put the roller on.

Back