You mean to tell me stylists have been cutting my hair for nothing?

belleza

I have been trying to grow hair FOREVER, and everytime since I was a girl, stylists have been "trimming" my hair. Either trying to "even out" my hair or trying to be artistic on my time.

I just blew out my hair last night for the first time since October and was amazed at the growth.

You mean to tell me, my hair could have been long a long time ago??? That they were (on purpose or not) holding me back??? I was only one year away from a beautiful head of hair??? Now I'M OFFICIALLY TICKED OFF!!!!!!! :whip: :angry2:

From reviewing my progress and album pictures, I've realized that getting trims after each touchup really slowed me down initially. You're not the only one.

belleza said:
I have been trying to grow hair FOREVER, and everytime since I was a girl, stylists have been "trimming" my hair. Either trying to "even out" my hair or trying to be artistic on my time.

I just blew out my hair last night for the first time since October and was amazed at the growth.

You mean to tell me, my hair could have been long a long time ago??? That they were (on purpose or not) holding me back??? I was only one year away from a beautiful head of hair??? Now I'M OFFICIALLY TICKED OFF!!!!!!! :whip: :angry2:

I understand exactly how you feel. Matter of fact, i just posted earlier about how much length I gained by not having that "oh-so-necessary" trim. It's a conspiracy these stylists have, I tell you. A CONSPIRACY. :sekret:

I had been trying to grow my hair out for 10 years. It was always shoulder length or a couple inches past and it would never get any longer, no matter what I did. It wasn't until I joined this board that I realized that my SHS was cutting off the length that I had gained every time I had a trim. :wallbash: Even though she's talented at styling hair, I would never recommend that she trim anyone under any circumstances unless you want to sport a short hair cut. She robbed me of my length all this time. But not anymore because she's no longer my stylist. :nono:

Yes, that's about the size of it! I actually had a stylist tell me years ago that they prefer working on short hair because less products were used! :mad: :mad:

This is so true. I almost experienced a length-robbing trim yesterday, and would have if I did not know better to speak up. I went for a doobie yesterday (complete waste of time and money--she didn't do anything that I can't do at home!), and upon looking at my airdried hair, which you guys know means raggedy-looking ends, she was like, "You need a trim." And I was like, "mmmhmmm, but not his time." As she was setting me, I let her know that I had another stylist and told her point blank, though diplomatically, that if I come to her for a doobie again (I won't), I don't want her telling me every time that I need a trim, because someone else is handling that for me. She was cool, but if I did not speak up, I for sure would have a chin-length bob today! Plus, my ends are fine. I inspected them after I unwrapped the doobie and I don't need a trim...I tell you, you have to watch your own back (and the back of your head, literally) when you are in the stylists chair! Speak up you guys! Speak up and the hair will eventually grow out (provided you are doing the other things necessary to growth as well).

We have all been victims of a SHS at one point or anther. We should all rise up and lay the smacked down on those fools. :mad:

I was JUST about to post this! If you want long hair, don't cut it!!! All my friends with midback or waist-length hair hardly ever get trims. I haven't had a trim in a year and I've gone from shoulder length to bra strap. You just have to keep your ends healthy by applying conditioner and oil to your ends and handling your hair very gently.

SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!!!! I have been watching those makeover shows for years and they will bring on becky sue to get her hair done. now mind you becky sue would have had hair that is fried dried, blow dried and chewed up. they will take beck sue put some conditioner on her and trim a little off and send her on her way. and say see how much better it is. keep doing this and you should be fine. HOWEVER if bonquesha comes in the stylist in the hood will chop off like 5 damn inches saying her ends were split and damaged!!! come on!!! is it a conspiracy??????? God bless you all.

It's either a conspiracy or hateraid. Either way, theres bout to be a uprisin!

But on the real, I really do feel victimized somehow. I mean I'm not going to go to counseling or anything but you've got little black girls everywhere with people preventing them from being who they are and realizing their potential. That's damaging kinda like castration...unnatural and unnecessary.

...stepping off my soapbox now.

Last edited:
My stepmother used to tell me this...stop perming your hair and cutting your hair "to death", and I never listened. Now that I am natural, I realize that my hair doesn't look THAT much different when I trim as opposed to when I DON'T trim. Now, if it looked RAGGEDY, then I would be all for a shaping up. I used to think that you HAD to have trims with EVERY touch up, and I had once stylist that I would actually TELL to trim my ends because I thought my hair NEEDED it. Well, we all know that trims don't HELP the hair gain length. I decided that I would NOT trim my hair this year unless it started looking bad. I really don't foresee that happening, since I don't do anything harsh to my hair.

caligirl said:
I was JUST about to post this! If you want long hair, don't cut it!!! All my friends with midback or waist-length hair hardly ever get trims. I haven't had a trim in a year and I've gone from shoulder length to bra strap. You just have to keep your ends healthy by applying conditioner and oil to your ends and handling your hair very gently.
I agree totally!

Yup....and you want me to make you madder......the damage that they told you that they had to cut was created by them.......ie...over processing, over lapping relaxers; toooo hot curlers; rat-tail combs, excessive blow drying.....Yep....It's a conspiracy!!!!!

Back