Why the Tangle Teezer hate?

afrofaithful

So...everyone hates the tangel teezer now. They say it's the culprit of all these splits and knots. But I just don't understand how it can cause splits! Can someone explain it to me?

i don't want to throw mine away!!! :(

Charla

I actually never tried it because from the YT videos, it looked downright scary to me! I'm glad I followed my first instinct and never purchased it. I just detangle the good old fashion way -- lots of slippery conditioner and a wide-toothed comb.

Natural Glow

What? There's a tangle teezer backlash:lol:? I still use mine to get lint out of my daughters hair. Works for me and not a split in sight so i don't know.

I say if yours isn't causing problems keep using it. You can't always go off of what other people say.

.:Eden:.

There's actually a few lengthy threads on the issue (see links below). The reason being is that the ends of the TT aren't smooth and/or seamless so the action of the brushing is causing friction on the strands instead of the teeth going in between the strands. Think of what a grater does or sand paper, I know this is an extreme example but it's the only one I can think of right now. For some people this has been the case, for others it hasn't been an issue.

Tangle Teezer = Splitsville?
The Tangle Teezer broke my heart. And my hair.

Last edited:

Nayna

Unbothered
Idk. I like it. I have fine hair and it hasn't caused my hair to split any more than it already does.

Evolving78

i can't use that thing on my hair, but i have no problem using on my daughter. she has 3b/3c hair and i use it to get the lint out too. i am 4a tightly coiled, that thing was no the business for my hair.

prettypithy

Some feel it has caused them split ends. I haven't tried it; I finger detangle and/or use a wide tooth comb or paddle brush.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I STILL regularly use my TT without issue. There is a reason you have to evaluate what will or will not work for your own hair. Bandwagons on LHCF always yield results on both sides for or against a product.

ChristmasCarol

All 3 DDs and I have used it for months with no ill-effects. I guess some hair just doesn't like it. No one tool/product is good for every head of hair, so I'm not surprised that some people hate it. Other people's opinions/experiences are their own and cannot add or subtract an inch from my tresses.

But as for me and my house, we will use the Tangle Teezer. Sipp 14:15

afrofaithful

There's actually a few lengthy threads on the issue (see links below). The reason being is that the ends of the TT aren't smooth and/or seamless so the action of the brushing is causing friction on the strands instead of the teeth going in between the strands. Think of what a grater does or sand paper, I know this is an extreme example but it's the only one I can think of right now. For some people this has been the case, for others it hasn't been an issue.

Tangle Teezer = Splitsville?
The Tangle Teezer broke my heart. And my hair.

great analogy!! makes sense. but it still works for me...FOR NOW!!

Your Cheeziness

I liked it because of the detangling it did. But it ended up shredding my ends with those sharp teeth. So, in the end, it wasn't worth it for my hair.

hairsothick

Black and Magical
I loved it for detangling, but it was shredding my ends. I had minor splits before using it, but the TT made them worse. I had feathering and mid-shaft splits that I had not seen before using the TT.

I'm sad that I can't use it anymore. :sad:

I say if it is working for you and you don't notice any damage, then keep using it. It is a great detangling tool.

Tene

That thing shredded my ends and I ended up having to trim my hair. The little growth I got is basically gone because I had to give my hair a good trim. My ends looked horrible, but now my hair looks and feels great.

La Colocha

I still use mine even though i was skeptical after the bad stories but its working for me. Best thing i ever used on my hair. Combs are way worse on my hair than this.

naturalmanenyc

I never noticed any splits from the Tangle Teezer, but I have started to use my Denman brush more often, after my finger detangling and wide toothed comb.

Last edited:

Avaya

I didn't want to believe that the tangle teezer was responsible for the split ends I started getting but alas...

I stopped using the tangle teezer and now I am split end free. Those SSK are plentiful though.

faithVA

I've been using mine since December and I have less SSKs and its easy to detangle my hair. Because my curl pattern is so tight, my hair literally wraps around the teeth in a wide tooth comb and a denman. No matter how many times I go through my hair with
those it will never be detangled because it curls up as fast as the comb goes through it. Finger combing is a waste of time. Perhaps when my hair is longer that might be possible.

The short teeth of the tangle teezer allow my curls to straighten out without wrapping. I certainly don't have more splits or SSKs and I am having less breakage.

lolascurls

To each his own....I still like mine. I find it lays my cuticle flat because my hair feels smoother after using it! No more split ends than normal either. Any ladies who don't want theirs can send it to me..instead of throwing in the trash...lol!

Last edited:

ajoke

I loved it for detangling, but it was shredding my ends. I had minor splits before using it, but the TT made them worse. I had feathering and mid-shaft splits that I had not seen before using the TT.

I'm sad that I can't use it anymore. :sad:

I say if it is working for you and you don't notice any damage, then keep using it. It is a great detangling tool.

I also had to deeply trim my hair yesterday, about 3 inches due to feathering, mid shaft splits etc. Immediately I finished timing, my hair felt so much better.
But it's still shocking to me that I have lost so much progress- my hair is back to where it was last year :sad::sad: I am sure the TT is not the only reason, I had two mishaps at salons this year. I am hoping starting with fresh ends will help me retain more length as I have had a lot of breakage due to tangling this year.
I am too traumatized to think about it though.......

I have to examine my daughters hair when next I wash it. She has 2b/3a hair, so I hope the PPs are right and she doesn't need a deep trim too.

Last edited:

AKA-Tude

I BS washed the other day & didn't detangle afterwards.
After drying, I remoisturized with BRBC
and started to comb to detangle and 2-strand twist.

I HAD THE HARDEST TIME!!!

Grabbed the TT-
breezed thru detangling!!!

My ends are smoother when I use the TT
than when I use a comb!

Lurbs my TT!!!

asubeauty

I love my TT. But I use it to smooth my hair, not really to detangle. I detangle with my Ouidad Detangler comb from Sephora, then use the TT to get my hair smooth before I twist my hair for twist-outs. I haven't had any issues.

FindingMe

i dunno...nothing works for everyone.

it's still the only tool i use on my hair and my daughter's hair...i'm a very coarse 4a/3c and she is an extremely fine 3c/4a. It's been almost six months and I haven't see a split yet on either one of us....

I'm gonna use it until it no longer works for us

Iluvsmuhgrass

I still use mine. Thick 4a/b with splashes of 3c fine hair here. I had breakage and I sat down to view what I did differently. Answer: I stopped using castor because I ran out. I started back using it after co-washing/dcing and since then I've had no problems at all.

Mandy4610

I wouldn't call it hate, just what we already know....that not everything works for everyone.

I haven't and don't plan to use it long enough to find out if it works for me or not.

...but I have it. The PJ in me had to have it:grin: