Tangle Teezer = Splitsville?

preciouslove0x

I finally revisisted the TT a few weeks ago and it really does work very well for me.

However, I also just revisited the thread about TTs and noticed that there are comments about hair splits. Has anyone else notice this? I do wonder why the TT seems to glide through the hair. Is it causing more harm than good in the long run? Who has been using this for a few months consistently? What do you say?

Qualitee

I wouldn't be surprised if people start noticing splits and breakage after a while.TT never sat right with me. Thats why I never jump on the TT bandwagon.

La Colocha

I think its about 2 months for me, i use it 1x a week on wash day with conditioner. I have been keeping an eye on my hair and haven't had any issues. I take my time and go slow with it also. Everyone's hair is different so if you do use it just be careful and watch your hair. I will keep using mine as long as i don't see any damage.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Consistently for months? Not yet but so far, so good. Will keep monitoring to ensure no issues. I take my time and detangle in small sections. I detangle when roughly 90% dry, not sopping wet. TT is the only comb to truly detangle me nicely. With that, I'll keep using until I have a reason to stop.

Geminigirl

I was wondering if this was intensifying my splits. It's like I couldn't get rid of them. The TT does have those jagged tips and I don't like that. I have since stopped using it as much and started back with my denman because the denman detangles but smooths my hair too. I still go to my TT but not as much. And my TT got all nasty and dirty fast too! It's hard to clean.

lovegymnasts

I love the tangle teazer but yes it is giving me mid-shaft splits so I have stopped using it. I think I got it in November or early December and was loving it until I was fixing a twist at work and noticed splits so I started looking at other twists and noticed some more and then found a really big one.
So, we have to part ways. I used my K-Cutter again for the first time yesterday and already miss my TT. The TT would catch and hold all the shed hairs. Yesterday, they were catching on my hands, dropping on the floor and ending up in my towel again when I would wipe the shed hairs off my hands.
Boy do I miss my Tangle Teazer!

I used it once a week on wash day, on hair loaded with conditioner, on very small sections, and was very gentle.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
So far I haven't had any problems. However, I will be on the look out after reading a few reports of problems.

JJamiah

I have also used it since the end of December last year and I haven't had any issues. I just get Awesome detangling everytime :)

divachyk

I too will look closer but not trying to hijack, but here's how I use it:

I wash, condition, rinse, apply leave-ins and start air drying. When about 90% dry, I whip out the TT to start the detangling process. I find that wet detangling is way too much for my hair so detangling when almost dry, but not quite dry is best. I go slowly and detangle in small sections. I first run a wide tooth comb over the section to pre-detangle and then I will run the TT down the strands thereafter to smooth things out.

I know a product will never be 100% supported but I'm just trying to figure out where are we in general going wrong with what seems to be a lovely gadget. (Maybe it's that different hair textures don't agree with the TT, etc).

Not knocking the posters of various yt vids, but I could never run the TT through my hair like they demonstrate. They just grab a section of hair and strongly pull the TT through that section.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Not knocking the posters of various yt vids, but I could never run the TT through my hair like they demonstrate. They just grab a section of hair and strongly pull the TT through that section.

ITA. I always do smaller sections doing ends first and working my way up. One lady just ripped through her hair (no sectioning or anything) and it made me cringe because it looked painful. (I'm a tender headed natural. :look:)

EDTA: I haven't had any problems at all but I'm not using it uber often.

divachyk

Iluvsmuhgrass - we must have watched the SAME video. This chick pulled it so aggressively, her head and kneck jerked back when the TT reached her ends. lol. I use it at most, 1x weekly on wash day.

chebaby

ive used it a few times and didnt see any problems but it does give me the feeling that it could eventually cause some problems. i put mine to the side and stopped using it for a while but i still used a denman so....

Napp

Ms. Nobody
welp ill just bee sticking to my goody add shine brush. i can take large sections and no split hair problems so far!

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I love the tangle teazer but yes it is giving me mid-shaft splits so I have stopped using it. I think I got it in November or early December and was loving it until I was fixing a twist at work and noticed splits so I started looking at other twists and noticed some more and then found a really big one.
So, we have to part ways. I used my K-Cutter again for the first time yesterday and already miss my TT. The TT would catch and hold all the shed hairs. Yesterday, they were catching on my hands, dropping on the floor and ending up in my towel again when I would wipe the shed hairs off my hands.
Boy do I miss my Tangle Teazer!

I used it once a week on wash day, on hair loaded with conditioner, on very small sections, and was very gentle.

wow:nono:

i guess seamless tools were the rave for a reason:ohwell:

awwwwww teezer-gate-coming-soon:look:

GreenEyedJen

I can't say for sure that the TT gave/is giving me splits, but I believe it may be. My hair is fine and nappy and as such gets knotted very easily. The TT was the first and only thing that has TOTALLY detangled my hair. I started to notice splits in my hair about a month after I started using it. Didn't attribute it to the TT because I hadn't had a trim in about eight months (but I was watching my hair very closely those eight months, and I didn't have splits, or at least didn't have any noticeable splits). I went to the salon and got my hair dyed and trimmed,so I started with fresh ends. It's about a month after and I am again noticing splits. Unfortunately I can't say that it's because of the dye or the TT. I am going to lay off the TT for the next few washes and see if the splits get worse or not.

LushLox

I don't use the TT to detangle my hair but then I'm scared of brushes in general (thanks Cathy) but it is great to smooth my buns.

Any other fine haired relaxed ladies using the TT to detangle?

Evolving78

i didn't get any splits, but i only used it a couple of times. i had to go back to the deman. that tangle teezer was a big ole tease for my hair!

virtuenow

Nope, the dream still continues for me...

I have the kinkiest, thickest hair of anyone I know and use it several times a week and no problems. In 3months I have had better hair success than yrs and can wash much more often now. If anything those other combs brushes were giving me splits and rips (i.e. denman). I never have detangled on wet hair-- I find it to be damaging to my hair generally no mattr what I use

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

growinghealthyhair

virtuenow

So you detangle on dry hair??

I have an install that i'll be taking down in 4 weeks. Whenever i take down installs I usually detangle, but loose so much hair. And i'm SURE it's becuase i don't detangle properly. This will be my first time taking down an install since i've been natural so I want to make sure to keep ALL of my new hair and have the least amount of shedding possible!!! I'm so scurred :-(

davisbr88

Yep. My hair was too fragile for it and it gave me splits/breakage. Got rid of mine in favor of a seamless comb and I have hardly any breakage.

coilsgonewild

I was sooooo in love with my TT. Over the course of some early spring cleaning I misplaced it. I noticed that while it was lost my breakage diminished substantially.
So, the other day I found my beloved TT buried somewhere; I washed my air and detangled with it and wouldn't you know I had breakage like crazy once again. I want to Love the TT so much because it cuts my detangling time in half, but it is definitely not worth the constant breakage. I think I will keep my TT on reserve and only use it after I have been wearing a protective style for weeks, when the tangles are unbearable. :ohwell:

biancaelyse

I have also used it since the end of December last year and I haven't had any issues. I just get Awesome detangling everytime :)

Ditto. I've been using the TT for about 3 months an have not experienced any splits or other issues. I am natural and I wear my hair curly.

My hair is shedding so much less now. I detangle once a week and have barely any hair coming out. The increased thickness in my hair is noticeable.

I need to buy a 2nd TT as a backup. My dream is alive and well!!