Why Is It BAD to use OIL when PRESSING/FLAT IRONING?

texasqt

24 went to commercial so I was able to grab the Dudley's Creme Press Pressing Oil and this doesn't look like anything good :( I used it this morning and my hair didn't sizzle but...

Ingredients: Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Petrolatum, Parrafin, Mineral Oil, Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Lanolin, Fragrance, Propylene Glycol (and) BHA (and) Glyceryl Monooleate (and) Propyl Gallate (and), Citric Acid, D&C Red No. 17, D&C Yellow No.11

This was highly recommended by a hairdresser who owns her own BSS and it was expensive!!!

Say it isn't so please!

texasqt

On a side note... I know we are talking about oils but isn't sulfur and heat a HUGE NO NO???

navsegda

texasqt said:
24 went to commercial so I was able to grab the Dudley's Creme Press Pressing Oil and this doesn't look like anything good :( I used it this morning and my hair didn't sizzle but...

Ingredients: Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Petrolatum, Parrafin, Mineral Oil, Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Lanolin, Fragrance, Propylene Glycol (and) BHA (and) Glyceryl Monooleate (and) Propyl Gallate (and), Citric Acid, D&C Red No. 17, D&C Yellow No.11

This was highly recommended by a hairdresser who owns her own BSS and it was expensive!!!

Say it isn't so please!

LOL@24. That's how I am about Law & Order SVU. Unless a commercial is on, I will not be interrupted.

*shudders at the ingredients* They are truly frightening. That's way too high a content of oil (the majority of the Dudley's is oil) to be healthy for flat ironing. I would tell that hairdresser to get a new product. She could really end up damaging someone's hair and the effects may not come about until later and then her clients may have no clue what was causing the damage or the breakage.

navsegda

texasqt said:
On a side note... I know we are talking about oils but isn't sulfur and heat a HUGE NO NO???

Sulfur can be combustible, particularly if used in high amounts or by itself. In much much smaller amounts it shouldn't cause any damage (like if you have MTG on your scalp you shouldn't be worried about passing by a furnace and having your hair erupt into flames hahaha). What product contains sulfur that is supposed to be a heat protectant?

texasqt

navsegda said:
Sulfur can be combustible, particularly if used in high amounts or by itself. In much much smaller amounts it shouldn't cause any damage (like if you have MTG on your scalp you shouldn't be worried about passing by a furnace and having your hair erupt into flames hahaha). What product contains sulfur that is supposed to be a heat protectant?

This dadGammit WonderGro Heat Stylin Press N Curl Straightening Oil!!! I don't know why I never noticed the sulfur before, plus its full of oils!!! That was one thing I was told never to do - sulfur and flat/curling irons don't mix.

www.wonder-gro.com - a really nice website (but no ingredients listed)

Ingredients: Petrolatum, Soybean Oil, Canola Oil, Caster Oil, Lanolin Oil, Dimethicone, Protein, Lecithin, Tea Trea Oil, Aloe Vera Oil, Sulfur, Wintergreen Oil, Beeswax, Extracts of Horesetail, Nettles, Coltsfoot, Rosemary, Comfrey, Burdock, Chamomile, Witch Hazel, BHT, fragrance.

LovelyLionessa

I am loving this thread, very informative. I got some Chi Infusion this weekend and used it when I flat ironed my roots, that stuff is really nice. :D

texasqt

This is the last one in my stash. If this one gets the X, I'm going shopping cuz these are going in the trash.

911 Heat Protector Cream contains
Poly-V 10: [Water, Polyquaternium 10, Pyridoxine HCL (Vitamin B-6), Thiamin Nitrate (Vitamin B-1), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Tocophyrel Acetate (Vitamin E), Asorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Biotin (Vitamin H), Linoleic Acid (Vitamin F)] Sorbitan Stearate, Oil Complex: (petrolatum, jojoba oil, castor oil, sweet almond oil, safflower oil), Polysorbate 60, Tea-Carbomer, Herbal Extracts: (Indian Hemp, Rosemary, Nettle, Sage, Birch, Burdock, Chaparral, Sunflower Extracts), Isopropyl Palmitate, Cetyl Alcohol, Dimethicone Copolyol, Isoeicosane, Phenyl Trimethicone, Brassica Campestris Aleurites Fordi Oil Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance, DMDM Hydantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

navsegda

texasqt said:
This is the last one in my stash. If this one gets the X, I'm going shopping cuz these are going in the trash.

911 Heat Protector Cream contains
Poly-V 10: [Water, Polyquaternium 10, Pyridoxine HCL (Vitamin B-6), Thiamin Nitrate (Vitamin B-1), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Tocophyrel Acetate (Vitamin E), Asorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Biotin (Vitamin H), Linoleic Acid (Vitamin F)] Sorbitan Stearate, Oil Complex: (petrolatum, jojoba oil, castor oil, sweet almond oil, safflower oil), Polysorbate 60, Tea-Carbomer, Herbal Extracts: (Indian Hemp, Rosemary, Nettle, Sage, Birch, Burdock, Chaparral, Sunflower Extracts), Isopropyl Palmitate, Cetyl Alcohol, Dimethicone Copolyol, Isoeicosane, Phenyl Trimethicone, Brassica Campestris Aleurites Fordi Oil Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance, DMDM Hydantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

I think that's the best one out of all of them. I still don't get why there are 6 oils in it lol but at least they are far down on the list and there are a lot of other ingredients that they can be blended in very well with. I also don't get why silicones aren't major ingredients (near the top of the list) either if this is supposed to be a good heat protectant.

So...I'm gonna say keep it. I don't want you to have to go out and completely buy another heat protectant if one of them looks ok.

lovegan

has anyone heard of "that's it!" hair emolient? it give the hair wonderful texture during flat ironing, but i'm afraid it might have petroleum in it..... not sure. my hair dresser uses it

texasqt

navsegda said:
I think that's the best one out of all of them. I still don't get why there are 6 oils in it lol but at least they are far down on the list and there are a lot of other ingredients that they can be blended in very well with. I also don't get why silicones aren't major ingredients (near the top of the list) either if this is supposed to be a good heat protectant.

So...I'm gonna say keep it. I don't want you to have to go out and completely buy another heat protectant if one of them looks ok.

Awe Man!!! I was getting excited! PJ thought PJ and I could go to the BSS tomorrow :sekret:. I guess we have to stick to my Just Use It Up Challenge and just use it up. Thanks Navsegda for sharing the knowledge!!!

jenteel

so happy u posted this info!!!
navs u r incredible!
i instinctively returned the keracare pressing creme
the 1st ingredient was vegetable oil
i thought it would be better b/c it had less "cones" in it
now i am learning cones are good 4 heat protection
which makes sense because it keeps moisture from getting into the hair
so i guess the more cones the better??

i think i'm gonna try that chi silk infusion....

honeybadgirl

nav, at what temp is considered too high for ceramic irons? my fhi has a setting that goes up to 450:eek: i think.
thanx chica:p

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
What about a product that has the following:

Cyclomethicone , Phenyl Trimethicone , Dimethicone , Isododecane , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract , PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Myristate , Amodimethicone , Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate Sunscreen , Tocopheryl Acetate Vitamin E , Fragrance Parfum

Does Sally's carry the Chi Silk Inf.?

navsegda

luving me said:
What about a product that has the following:

Cyclomethicone , Phenyl Trimethicone , Dimethicone , Isododecane , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract , PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Myristate , Amodimethicone , Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate Sunscreen , Tocopheryl Acetate Vitamin E , Fragrance Parfum

Does Sally's carry the Chi Silk Inf.?

That sounds beautiful. Look at all those silicones! *drools* Phenomenal heat protectant, I'd say. What's it called?

I don't know if Sally's carries Silk Infusion.

Last edited:

navsegda

honeybadgirl said:
nav, at what temp is considered too high for ceramic irons? my fhi has a setting that goes up to 450:eek: i think.
thanx chica:p
My Solia goes up to 450. I wouldn't dare put a temp that high on my hair. The original CHI maybe had a temperature of 425 and I think that's too high, but some other ladies on the forum told me that temperature was perfect for their hair. *shrugs* I don't know of any flat irons that go above 450 or maybe 475.

As for what temp is too high? I think it depends on the person and her hair. I think it would be good if everyone tested out the absolute lowest temp possible to flat iron their hair using a good serum or heat protectant and get it straight. To get the straightness one desires, that temp may be 320, 300, or even less if you use a good serum. Many may be surprised that they don't need as high a temp as they originally thought they did.

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
It's: Fantasia High Potency IC Hair Polisher Heat Protector Straightening Spray

Saw it online for Walgreens I hope they have it in the store.

gymfreak336

navsegda said:
My Solia goes up to 450. I wouldn't dare put a temp that high on my hair. The original CHI maybe had a temperature of 425 and I think that's too high, but some other ladies on the forum told me that temperature was perfect for their hair. *shrugs* I don't know of any flat irons that go above 450 or maybe 475.

As for what temp is too high? I think it depends on the person and her hair. I think it would be good if everyone tested out the absolute lowest temp possible to flat iron their hair using a good serum or heat protectant and get it straight. To get the straightness one desires, that temp may be 320, 300, or even less if you use a good serum. Many may be surprised that they don't need as high a temp as they originally thought they did.[/QUOTE]

Soooo true. I recently flat ironed a couple of pieces of hair to try out my chi silk infusion and I did it on the lowest heat possible on my flat iron. With a good heat protectant and a quality ceramic or tourmaline iron, you really don't need hell high heat.

honeybadgirl

as always thanx!!! i think the last time i used them i set it to about 325 but i'll try a little lower and see what happens. i'm thinking btwn 300 and 325 should do:grin:

pistachio

navsegda said:
You mean like Apex? (I think that's what it was called). Yes, it does. It's like putting Crisco on your hair and then flat ironing.

HA! And to think that back in the day when I was natural I'd use grease, and then hot comb my hair. I though the crackle and pop was a good thing. How naive was I ?!?!:lol:

pistachio

gymfreak336 said:
navsegda said:

As for what temp is too high? I think it depends on the person and her hair. I think it would be good if everyone tested out the absolute lowest temp possible to flat iron their hair using a good serum or heat protectant and get it straight. To get the straightness one desires, that temp may be 320, 300, or even less if you use a good serum. Many may be surprised that they don't need as high a temp as they originally thought they did.[/QUOTE]

Soooo true. I recently flat ironed a couple of pieces of hair to try out my chi silk infusion and I did it on the lowest heat possible on my flat iron. With a good heat protectant and a quality ceramic or tourmaline iron, you really don't need hell high heat.

On my flat iron they're arranged by numbers, not temps. I put my iron on level 5( the iron goes up to level 25), and sprayed with my heat protectant, anf it did come out very straight. I think I can get used to this:) and not only that, but when you don't use oil, it make your hair look fuller too, because the oil isn't making it "flat".

ambergirl

Wish I read this thread before I flat-ironed my oily hair a couple of weeks ago. Major breakage....now I have raggedy, raggedy ends....never again!

Artemis

I wish you guys could've been w/me at Sally's on Friday...There was a lady asking the employee what products she should buy for straightening her natural hair. The employee showed her the ceramic/tourmaline flat irons which was fine, but when heat protection came up, the customer said, "I don't want to use a spray b/c I'm natural and I don't want it to frizz." Without getting all technical and in her business, I mentioned to her she should look for a serum (I really wish Sally's sold Chi Silk Infusion, b/c that's what I wanted her to buy :lol: ). And guess what that ignorant employee said..."A serum is ok, but it can be oily/greasy." :mad: Who knows what that girl was a/b to get that woman to buy...After that I just left it alone, shook my head, and paid for my stuff. But I wish I could have at least had a copy of this thread, a pamphlet, or something ;)

Nella

I agree pressing and flat ironing your hair without oil is better for your hair. It allows your hair to be bouncy, full and all you need is a little oil after you have finished styling your hair it will last for a long time and you will notice that your hair has a natural sheen.

Try it and you will not be disappointed to see the difference.

angellazette

What about if you put oil on your hair on day 1, then day 2 you put the Chi Silk Infusion then flat iron. Is that ok?

HoneyDew

Well, I have to say that ever since I started using Qhemet's Sidr Tree Butter Balm on my wet hair as a leave-in and then applying serum before drying and flat-ironing, I had never really had true longlasting moisture. This product is a butter, which I understand is like oil, right? I don't know, but I am not going to stop using it because it does work wonders for me. Actually after I started using it, I had to lower the heat on my flat-iron. My hair did not require as much heat to get straight with this product. Also, I don't have to shampoo/condition as often for moisture like I used to. The moisture from washday last longer than other products I have used as leave-ins.

Here are the ingredients:

Ingredients: Pure Mowrah (Bassia Latifolia) Butter, Distilled Water, Organic Sidr (Zizyphus) Extract, Organic Aloe (Aloe Ferrox) Africana, MSM Sulfur, Vegetable Glycerin, Vegetable Emulsifier, Phenoxyethanol & Ethylhexylglycerin (Food Grade Paraben-free and Formaldehyde-free Preservative), Fragrance.

I have other products that I use for styling moisture during the week after shampoo days, but this product has worked wonders for my hair.

Mortons

luving me said:
It's: Fantasia High Potency IC Hair Polisher Heat Protector Straightening Spray

Saw it online for Walgreens I hope they have it in the store.

I have this, I think I'm gonna get the serum next time. Or maybe the CHI serum. I just bought the Matrix sleek look iron guard and its good......see yall turning me into an PJ :mad:

Southernbella.

This is a great thread! I'm going to get some new heat protectant ASAP. I use Silk Elements spray (a Sally Brand). It has no oil, but it also doesn't have any cones, which I gather are better for protection.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Navs!​

navsegda

angellazette said:
What about if you put oil on your hair on day 1, then day 2 you put the Chi Silk Infusion then flat iron. Is that ok?

I think it would depend on what oil it is (some oils are heavier than others, for instance, regular Amla oil would remain on the strands longer than Amla Lite). What oil do you normally use?

sunshinebeautiful

I wish I had seen this thread before I flat ironed my hair a few weeks ago using WGO. :eek: Before the flatironing -- No breakage. After the flat ironing -- Little broken hair pieces galore. I had to do a serious protein treatment and will probably have to trim those ends at some point. But what a difference after omitting oil and just using serum... :eek: No breakage, and shiny, soft, moisturized hair.