Why Is It BAD to use OIL when PRESSING/FLAT IRONING?

navsegda

Sweetyb said:
Navsegda, wish I were this informed years ago when I was burning my hair and getting my hair burned by others :grin:. I had my hair hot combed for the first time in years (professionally) yesterday and I must say I thought the stylist was wierd for not using any oil or cream in my hair before flat ironing. But then again, she did go over my hair multiple times with a hot comb then flat iron :ohwell:... so I guess the good balances out the bad?? (don't answer that ;))

She went over your hair multiple times with a hot comb and THEN a flat iron? She needs to be slapped. Seriously.

So she didn't use any type of heat protectant before putting that heat on your hair? Especially a hot comb? LMFAO, where is the good here?

texasqt

navsegda said:
You mean like Apex? (I think that's what it was called). Yes, it does. It's like putting Crisco on your hair and then flat ironing.

I don't know what Apex is. I usually use a pressing oil which claims to have some heat protection. In the past, some have sizzled but the Dudley's Creme Press I used last - I don't recall. I would post the ingredients but I'm too sleepy to go get the jar. I'll post it tomorrow.

navsegda

texasqt said:
I don't know what Apex is. I usually use a pressing oil which claims to have some heat protection. In the past, some have sizzled but the Dudley's Creme Press I used last - I don't recall. I would post the ingredients but I'm too sleepy to go get the jar. I'll post it tomorrow.

Apex is the old-fashioned pressing oil used wayyyy back in the day.

Amylee

Thanks for sharing your kowledge Nav :)

Now I know better, no more dumb mistakes when flat ironing my hair.

lexi08

I was also wondering about products like Dudley's Creme Press, Ultra sheen creme press, and Keracare Creme press. I thought these products were okay for flatironing? I have Chi Silk Infusion, but I do prefer to use a creme press when flatironing my hair.

navsegda

nikki1971 said:
I was also wondering about products like Dudley's Creme Press, Ultra sheen creme press, and Keracare Creme press. I thought these products were okay for flatironing? I have Chi Silk Infusion, but I do prefer to use a creme press when flatironing my hair.

What are the ingredients in them? Cremes are not the same as pressing oils (unless of course these cremes are oil-based/mostly oil). Cremes that aren't oil-based and those that do have major silicones as one or more of the first few ingredients would be good.

Edit: I have just checked out the Dudley's on a website. I thought it was actually only a creme but on the container it says "Dudley's Creme Press Pressing Oil." Yup, I wouldn't use it.

Last edited:

AKA-Tude

navsegda said:
. Ceramic emits constant, even far infrared heat that is supposed to help lock in moisture (far infrared heat produces water molecule resonance and in turn resonance of atoms) and also eliminates bacteria/detoxifies the hair. These are the same types of infrared ions that can be used in cancer patients on a daily basis to kill cancer cells (while not damaging healthy ones even with all the exposure). If they can be used safely on cells that are much more sensitive (like tissues inside the body pelted by nerves), then they should NOT be damaging your hair (tissues that are already dead and therefore a lot less sensitive). Infrared heat is a type of radiant heat that heats through conversion (and changing the conformation of the atoms around the bonds without touching the air in between). Come on, scientists know what they are doing. It's not their fault that the rest of the world doesn't.

Navs, I would follow you anywhere! The knowledge is ..WOW!!

But here's a dumb question-
is there a specific type of flat iron that emmits this 'far infrared heat" that is superior to others (this is assuming that I read this correctly & far infrared heat is better for the hair)?

Right now I use a Solano.

TIA

navsegda

AKA-Tude said:
Navs, I would follow you anywhere! The knowledge is ..WOW!!

But here's a dumb question-
is there a specific type of flat iron that emmits this 'far infrared heat" that is superior to others (this is assuming that I read this correctly & far infrared heat is better for the hair)?

Right now I use a Solano.

TIA

No, there isn't a specific type of ceramic flat iron that does this but regular, conventional flat irons and hot combs do not have the ability to do this. Ceramic and tourmaline on their own should do this. If you have one of these (which you do with the Solano :)) by itself or either a combination of both, then you're good.

AKA-Tude

navsegda said:
No, there isn't a specific type of ceramic flat iron that does this but regular, conventional flat irons and hot combs do not have the ability to do this. Ceramic and tourmaline on their own should do this. If you have one of these (which you do with the Solano :)) by itself or either a combination of both, then you're good.

ok- thanx!!!!!!!:clapping: good to know!!

lexi08

navsegda said:
What are the ingredients in them? Cremes are not the same as pressing oils (unless of course these cremes are oil-based/mostly oil). Cremes that aren't oil-based and those that do have major silicones as one or more of the first few ingredients would be good.

Edit: I have just checked out the Dudley's on a website. I thought it was actually only a creme but on the container it says "Dudley's Creme Press Pressing Oil." Yup, I wouldn't use it.

I don't have the jars with me, but I don't think Ultra Sheen has any oil in it. I think its mostly wax based. I'm not sure about the silicone though. When I use serums my hair seems a little dry that is why I prefer creme press. I do use a Solia ceramic flatiron when I do flatiron my hair. Now I confused as to what is best for my hair :ohwell:

navsegda

nikki1971 said:
I don't have the jars with me, but I don't think Ultra Sheen has any oil in it. I think its mostly wax based. I'm not sure about the silicone though. When I use serums my hair seems a little dry that is why I prefer creme press. I do use a Solia ceramic flatiron when I do flatiron my hair. Now I confused as to what is best for my hair :ohwell:

Ok, I found a few websites that sell this product. Why is it so hard for websites to include the ingredients along with the product? Ugh, annoying. I even checked out the Johnson's website and they're like "for questions or comments email us." Anyway, on the texasbeautysupply.com site the description it gives for the Ultra Sheen Creme Satin says that it "contains natural animal and vegetable oils" and other places list it as "pressing oil." Vegetable oil? Think of Mazola.

I'm interested in knowing what cremes (that are not oil-based/oil-heavy) others here use to flat iron. Does Redken make a creme for this purpose?

Last edited:

lexi08

navsegda said:
Ok, I found a few websites that sell this product. Why is it so hard for websites to include the ingredients along with the product? Ugh, annoying. I even checked out the Johnson's website and they're like "for questions or comments email us." Anyway, on the texasbeautysupply.com site the description it gives for the Ultra Sheen Creme Satin says that it "contains natural animal and vegetable oils" and other places list it as "pressing oil." Vegetable oil? Think of Mazola.

I'm interested in knowing what cremes (that are not oil-based/oil-heavy) others here use to flat iron. Does Redken make a creme for this purpose?

Thanks for the info. I am not sure about a creme but I know Redken Heat Glide is a good serum that I have used for a heat protectant.

navsegda

Hmm...I quickly looked up something for those who may like creme heat protectants better than serums (like the Silk Infusion).

Does anyone use the Frederic Fekkai Glossing Cream? It looks pretty good.

Here are the ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Propylene Glycol, Polyacrylamide, Olea Europaea (Olive Oil) Fruit Oil, Phenyl Trimethicone, C13-14 Isoparaffin, PEG-8 Methicone, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Laureth 7, Sodium PCA, Panthenol, Cinnamidopropyltrimethyl Ammonium Chloride, Dimethicone PEG-8, Meadowfoamate, Fragrance (Parfum), Methylisochloroisothiazolinone, Yellow 5 (CI 19140)

The dimethicone and the dimethiconol in this would make it a superb heat protectant (as would the other silicones). The first oil is microscopic and isn't listed until the 7th ingredient, so it's fine. The second oil is the 11th ingredient. Both of these amounts of oils would be too small in comparison to all the other ingredients they are blended in with to cause damage to your hair.

Now even though the Silk Infusion does not contain any oils, I do not want people thinking that they must have it or their hair will fry because of this. A product can contain very small amounts of microscopic oils and be safe to use while flat ironing the hair. However, if you have a product that is straight oil or mostly oil (what I mean when I say oil-based), then I would discard it.

Last edited:

lexi08

navsegda said:
Hmm...I quickly looked up something for those who may like creme heat protectants better than serums (like the Silk Infusion).

Does anyone use the Frederic Fekkai Glossing Cream? It looks pretty good.

Here are the ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Propylene Glycol, Polyacrylamide, Olea Europaea (Olive Oil) Fruit Oil, Phenyl Trimethicone, C13-14 Isoparaffin, PEG-8 Methicone, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Laureth 7, Sodium PCA, Panthenol, Cinnamidopropyltrimethyl Ammonium Chloride, Dimethicone PEG-8, Meadowfoamate, Fragrance (Parfum), Methylisochloroisothiazolinone, Yellow 5 (CI 19140)

The dimethicone and the dimethiconol in this would make it a superb heat protectant (as would the other silicones). The first oil is microscopic and isn't listed until the 7th ingredient, so it's fine. The second oil is the 11th ingredient. Both of these amounts of oils would be too small in comparison to all the other ingredients they are blended in with to cause damage to your hair.

Now even though the Silk Infusion does not contain any oils, I do not want people thinking that they must have it or their hair will fry because of this. A product can contain very small amounts of microscopic oils and be safe to use while flat ironing the hair. However, if you have a product that is straight oil or mostly oil (what I mean when I say oil-based), then I would discard it.

I have this product but I do not use it when flatironing because it has water in it. I use the FF as a finishing product. When heat touches hair that has been coated with a product that has water in it, won't it sizzle?

navsegda

nikki1971 said:
I have this product but I do not use it when flatironing because it has water in it. I use the FF as a finishing product. When heat touches hair that has been coated with a product that has water in it, won't it sizzle?
In many products, the first ingredient is water. This is not a bad thing at all because water is not the only ingredient; it is mixed in very well with numerous others. For instance, in Nexxus Heat Protexx the first ingredient is water and even when I've used it alone in the past to flat iron, my hair did not sizzle at all. Sizzling occurs from the amount of heat/temperature on the hair, not from the contents of the products by themselves. The beauty of proper flat ironing is that you can have moisturized, sleek hair using a variety of products without it sizzling, smoking, or burning.

Cayenne0622

navsegda said:
In many products, the first ingredient is water. This is not a bad thing at all because water is not the only ingredient; it is mixed in very well with numerous others. For instance, in Nexxus Heat Protexx the first ingredient is water and even when I've used it alone in the past to flat iron, my hair did not sizzle at all. Sizzling occurs from the amount of heat/temperature on the hair, not from the contents of the products by themselves. The beauty of proper flat ironing is that you can have moisturized, sleek hair using a variety of products without it sizzling, smoking, or burning.

I was gonna question the same thing because some heat protectants are very liquidy and when I've used them they've made my hair kind of damp and when I put the flat iron on it, it was not a good thing. Unfortunately, the only flat iron I have is my CHI which does not have a temperature control. You just turn it on and off. I got scared of the spray on heat protectants because they are so wet so I started using a serum when I flat iron but then I read that "cones" coat the hair and prevent moisture from getting in. Also, my hair is kind of fine so I don't like to flat iron because it makes it very flat. I get better "looking" results if I use a curling iron. Is this a bad thing?

Last edited:

navsegda

Cayenne0622 said:
I was gonna question the same thing because some heat protectants or very liquidy and when I've used them they've made my hair kind of damp and when I put the flat iron on it, it was not a good thing. Unfortunately, the only flat iron I have is my CHI which does not have a temperature control. You just turn it on and off. I was using a serum when I flat iron but then I read that "cones" coat the hair and prevent moisture from getting in. Also, my hair is kind of fine so I don't like to flat iron because it makes it very flat. I get better "looking" results if I use a curling iron. Is this a bad thing?
Silicones can coat the hair to offer protection from heat and they also help seal in moisture that is already there, so your hair remains moisturized (if for instance your serum/heat protectant doesn't contain water as an ingredient). Also certain molecules will not penetrate the cuticle layer and certain others will. Just because there is an ingredient in a product that coats the hair (there are other ingredients besides silicones that can do this if they do not have a low enough molecular weight to penetrate the cuticle) doesn't mean that moisture cannot get through. Water in fact penetrates the hair shaft very easily and quickly because these particles are small enough and can make it through before the silicones seal. The coating effect of a silicone doesn't last forever, just like if you use an oil to seal in moisture; it eventually "disintegrates" or wears off after a period of time.

Using a curling iron instead of a flat iron doesn't have to be a bad thing. What type of curling iron do you use? Is it conventional or ceramic or tourmaline?

Cayenne0622

navsegda said:
Silicones can coat the hair to offer protection from heat and they also help seal in moisture that is already there, so your hair remains moisturized (if for instance your serum/heat protectant doesn't contain water as an ingredient). Also certain molecules will not penetrate the cuticle layer and certain others will. Just because there is an ingredient in a product that coats the hair (there are other ingredients besides silicones that can do this if they do not have a low enough molecular weight to penetrate the cuticle) doesn't mean that moisture cannot get through. Water in fact penetrates the hair shaft very easily and quickly because these particles are small enough and can make it through before the silicones seal. The coating effect of a silicone doesn't last forever, just like if you use an oil to seal in moisture; it eventually "disintegrates" or wears off after a period of time.

Using a curling iron instead of a flat iron doesn't have to be a bad thing. What type of curling iron do you use? Is it conventional or ceramic or tourmaline?

Its conventional. It has a temperature setting though so I like that. My hair is above my shoulders so I like that the curling iron gives my hair fullness and body. My CHI just makes my hair flat. That would be okay if it was past my shoulders but flat short hair isn't cute to me. I may have to invest in a ceramic curling iron. Any suggestions?

lexi08

Cayenne0622 said:
Its conventional. It has a temperature setting though so I like that. My hair is above my shoulders so I like that the curling iron gives my hair fullness and body. My CHI just makes my hair flat. That would be okay if it was past my shoulders but flat short hair isn't cute to me. I may have to invest in a ceramic curling iron. Any suggestions?

CHI, FHI, T3 all make Ceramic curling irons. I am going to invest in one soon myself.

getmoore

navsegda said:
Would the maxiglide qualify? I can't remember if it's ceramic or not? BTW, this is great info! Thanks.

navsegda

getmoore said:
Would the maxiglide qualify? I can't remember if it's ceramic or not? BTW, this is great info! Thanks.

Is the maxiglide full ceramic or just ceramic coated? Even if it's just ceramic coated, I believe that it could still emit a fair enough amount of far-infrared heat. :)

JazzyDez

nikki1971 said:

When I read shamboosie's hair book I ran out and bought Dudley's Creme press thinking it would protect my hair from heat damage. I am pretty sure that the product has mineral oil in it, and pretty high on the list. The CP is in the back of my PJ stash right now though. What navs is saying makes complete sense to me. There is just so much misinformation out there. What makes maintaining our hair even more difficult is all of the confusion that arises when so called "professionals" have different theories and tell you complete opposite things to do. BTW, I no longer rely on shamboosie's "expertise" Just what I have learned here and what has worked for my hair.

rissybaby

Okay now im confused...
when i got my hair done about a week ago, after washing my stylist put oil on me and then i went under the dryer. After that she blow dried me and flat ironed my hair. It turned out great and was so soft and smooth. It turned out so great that i just went to the store and purchsed some olive oil to attempt to do the same as she did. Was this okay because i was under the dryer first? Because i didnt hear any sizzling or popping when she was flat ironing my hair.
Man...haha..good thing i read this thread before i burned my hair to a crisp..:hammer:
Can i still go along with doing this or what?

navsegda

sistasgotgame said:
Okay now im confused...
when i got my hair done about a week ago, after washing my stylist put oil on me and then i went under the dryer. After that she blow dried me and flat ironed my hair. It turned out great and was so soft and smooth. It turned out so great that i just went to the store and purchsed some olive oil to attempt to do the same as she did. Was this okay because i was under the dryer first? Because i didnt hear any sizzling or popping when she was flat ironing my hair.
Man...haha..good thing i read this thread before i burned my hair to a crisp..:hammer:
Can i still go along with doing this or what?
If you were under the dryer first with the heat on your hair and the combination of the oil, I think that just heightens the risk because the heat from the dryer has a chance to heat the oil on your hair and then heat from the flat iron has a chance to compound the risk. She basically just doubled the risk of heat damage because all that heat was able to break right throught that oil and go straight for your strands. So you had to worry about the heat from the dryer, the heat from the flat iron, AND the heat from the hot oil. Hopefully she didn't damage your hair but that was not an adequate method of heat protection. :ohwell:

I would change it. I don't put any oil on my hair until AFTER it has been flat ironed.

rissybaby

Hey thanks for replying so thouroughly!!! Okay i guess i wont be attempting this method. I wish i knew what oil she used, because maybe that made a difference but i doubt it...it just turned out so well...also, ive heard about people putting EVOO in their deep conditioners...is that bad too?

navsegda

sistasgotgame said:
Hey thanks for replying so thouroughly!!! Okay i guess i wont be attempting this method. I wish i knew what oil she used, because maybe that made a difference but i doubt it...it just turned out so well...also, ive heard about people putting EVOO in their deep conditioners...is that bad too?

No, putting EVOO or another oil in your deep conditioners isn't bad because it's being mixed in with all those other ingredients and you aren't making the oil in it the majority. So if you wanted to do this and then deep condition with heat it shouldn't be a problem (unless like I said, you've used too much oil). It's straight oil or products that contain mostly oil that are bad when using heat.

scorpian

texasqt said:

Apex ingredients are petroleum,lanolin,and fragrance.

Last edited: