Why Is It BAD to use OIL when PRESSING/FLAT IRONING?

Angelicus

Thank you for this entire thread! I have only used oil a couple of times in 4 years but you all are right... using a serum is so much better.

natural_one

what about oils that have a smoke point of 400 degrees or higher? Which means they won't break down until the flat iron reaches that temperature. Avocado (520), almond (420), and grapeseed (420) all have smoke points of 400 or higher and they are light..

LaVgirl

^^^ This.

I wonder....even if you don't use it as a heat protectant by itself, how about using it with the Chi or another serum/heat protectant?

I will be straightening my hair in December and this is my first time getting it done since I started caring for my hair properly. So I've been really trying to get more information about it... My plan so far is washing, deep condition, leave-in on day 1. Day 2, use my avocado and grapeseed oils along with the Chi Silk Infusion before/while straightening.

natural_one

I wonder....even if you don't use it as a heat protectant by itself, how about using it with the Chi or another serum/heat protectant?

This is what I plan to do..The day before I will shampoo and deep condition then apply almond oil and lanolin then let it air dry. The next day I will use noixin thermal bliss and flatiron.

Diva_Esq

Just like ANY OTHER advice on this board, some things may work for some and not others. When I RARELY rock a flatty, I use Sabino Moisture Block and a very light, small amount of Mizani Supreme Oil. No sizzle, no straight pieces. One pass through VERY small sections using the comb chase method. Nice light, airy flatty with a nice sheen to it and it takes about a week before I need to wash it out. I have to lightly oil my scalp every few days b/c my scalp stays dry when I'm not cowashing daily. I only rock a flatty for length checks/ trims and occasionally in the fall/ winter when I don't have to fight humidity.

Disclaimer: I DO NOT LET MY HAIR SIZZLE OR USE ENOUGH OIL FOR MY HAIR TO BE GREASY.

keepithealthy

what about oils that have a smoke point of 400 degrees or higher? Which means they won't break down until the flat iron reaches that temperature. Avocado (520), almond (420), and grapeseed (420) all have smoke points of 400 or higher and they are light..

^^^^^I was thinking about this earlier this week. I've used various serums and the only one I really like is Cantu Shea Butter super shine silk. That has Shea Butter oil as the 4th ingredient. But the results with that are still kind of meh....Serums just don't seem to cut it for my hair. The one time I used a little oil (just a little) to flat iron my hair it was much straighter and lasted longer. I used coconut oil at the time because that was all I had.

So I am also wondering if it is ok to use oils with a higher smoking point.

natural_one

Well, I used a pressing oil on my hair over the weekend to straighten it and no smoke or sizzle. I don't believe I had any heat damage because I was able to get it straight in one pass. For the ladies that would like to use oil, I say experiment with higher smoke point oils on a small portion of your hair and see how it affects it.

Tiye

I didn't read the whole thread but vis a vis the sizzle that sounds to me like too much oil is being used not a matter of oil being bad. With any product there is a point where you don't get extra effect if you pile on more. I use oils or oil based moisturizing product with a light touch before pressing and I don't have sizzle or smoke. I've never had heat damage maybe because my hair is coarse and I'm careful with heat tools. There's the usual caveat about different advice working for different people but for me oils work better.