Why do people say Thank you when you say "oh your hair is long"

Saida

Is it an automatically compliment to have long hair or what???

Why don't anyone ever say, Oh your hair is short?? and if they did would that be bad???

I don't know just thought about it, Im actually thinking about cutting my hair into a bob style and just work on keeping it healthy..

When I first started my hair journey it was ALL about the length, but the more I think about it, I really think I like all lenghts of hair as long as it looks good healthy and shiney and bouncy..

kurlybella

when it's said to me, it always is said as a compliment. though i don't even think i have long hair, i still say thank you.

i'm apl when straight.

freshlikemoi

I think it is a compliment. I'm not sure what culture (as a consensus) in the world doesn't consider long hair a beautiful attribute on a woman. Individuals may have their preference but for the most part, I do believe it is beautiful when it's long, thick and luster.

isabella09

I think people just assume you’re complimenting them and a natural reaction when you receive a compliment is to say thank you. I can't wait for someone to say that to me so I can thank them :grin:

Last edited:

senznme

Oh my goodness, I have had this debate plenty of times. "You hair is long/short" is an observation. Your hair is gorgeous, stunning, beautiful that's an compliment. I don't know, but I think that if someone comments that your hair is long...it's like ok. Now if they have been watching your progress and hard work and make that comment then you may say thank you, because they have been paying attention to your hard work. I look at it this way: long and short are opposites but define hair length nonetheless. So if someone says "your hair is short" do you say thanks? Just something that I have thought about for years.

chebaby

because its nice to say thank you.
and nine times out of ten you see it as a compliment.

rara171

because in most cultures long hair is synonymous with beauty.
if a woman came up to you and said "your hair is short", i doubt anyone would show their gratitude for that statement. especially if it isn't in some type of nice style.

this may not be how i feel personally, but i do believe this is the reason with most circumstances.
i mean... good luck finding "short hair care forums"

cutiepiebabygirl

I think it's because a lot of times when people say "Oh your hair is so long", they are saying it out of admiration...and you're just thanking them for admiring your hair.:grin:

Usually, people won't speak up and say anything to you, if it's negative.

I've never saw someone and said "Oh your weave is so raggedy!" :ohwell:

(Though I've wanted to!)
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Last edited:

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i said thanks because it was a compliment to me, and long hair is so pretty. to me long hair is synonymous with pretty hair.

Neith

What would you say if someone said "You're so slim!"

Same kind of thing. It's almost always meant to be a compliment.

isabella09

I think it's because a lot of times when people say "Oh your hair is so long", they are saying it out of admiration...and you're just thanking them for admiring your hair.:grin:

Usually, people won't speak up and say anything to you, if it's negative.

I've never saw someone and said "Oh your weave is so raggedy!" :ohwell:

(Though I've wanted to!)

BlackMasterPiece

Well in my experience when people come up to me its never just a stand alone statement but rather a portion of a chain of compliments like oh my gosh your hair is so long and look how thick and healthy it is, I love the swing of it, or you're killing that style with that long hair, you take such good care of it! lol

But usually when people tell me my hair is long they have a face like omg!:blush: look how long your hair is! Then they proceed to ask questions.

It's all about context, they're making an observation that is intended as a compliment, usually while finding it remarkable, therefore, its a compliment.

favorc

when people say that to me, I do say thanks just becasue I'm caught off guard with it and i don't know what else to say.:lachen:
I mean what do you say?:spinning:

aquajoyice

I think it's only a compliment when you've worked really hard to get it there. If I had long hair all of my life and someone said that I would be like "yeah, it's always been long" But knowing all of the hard work and trials and tribulations to get it there I would take it as a compliment

LoveLiLi

When people tell me my hair is long I can tell by the look on their face/tone of their voice that they are paying me a compliment.

So, I thank them because just carrying on with the convo or saying, "Oh, it's not that long" etc. may come off as rude or even conceited.

If someone is nice enough to compliment me then I should be gracious enough to thank them instead of picking apart whether their statement really qualifies as a compliment.

Now, when I pass people who say, "Damn, you beautiful as sh!t. You a mutha-f*#% stallion!!!", that's when I throw their intentions/compliments out the window and ignore them.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

I've said this to people, and really, many times their hair wasn't pretty.
It was just long.
No big deal.
Not lustrous.
Not enviable hair.
Just - long-.
And they say "Thank you." And I'm looking around, like, I didn't say your hair was pretty, I just said it was "long."
If I think your hair is pretty, I'll say so.

When people say this to me, I say, "Well, I'm working on growing it out..." or "It's getting there..." or I just smile.

Last edited:

sleepflower

My hair is not long, but if it were, and someone said that to me. I am not sure what else to say.

Who goes around making random observations? "You could stand to lose some weight." "Wow. Your hair is blond." "My gosh, you're wearing a pink top today!" Most people say something with a purpose. Then you add in voice cues and it comes across as a compliment.

People just do not want to be rude, in general.

SmilingElephant

I say thank you simply because i don't know what else to say....and then i don't wanna NOT say nothing bc i feel as tho that would be rude.

So i just say thank you.

Taina

I guess you have to read between the lines. Even tho say your hair is long/short is just an observation, if the person says : Oh your hair is soo long!!!!! is a complimen!, if the person say : "Your hair is long" is not. I guess it will depend in how the person emphasize the comment.

Last edited:

30something

Well, Long hair is harder to get. Anyone can get short hair. Its like when someone says oh you look nice today. They are not saying you look bad every other day. Just not as common to see you look this good. :spinning:

winnettag

My hair is not long, but if it were, and someone said that to me. I am not sure what else to say.

Who goes around making random observations? "You could stand to lose some weight." "Wow. Your hair is blond." "My gosh, you're wearing a pink top today!" Most people say something with a purpose. Then you add in voice cues and it comes across as a compliment.

People just do not want to be rude, in general.

:lachen::lachen:

Well when you put it that way it seems the best response is a thank you.
And as aquajoyice said, I know how much hard work it took to get there.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I usually answer "Yes, I know!" with a big smile.

It's usually followed by compliments from the other person and a little chat about hair and African hair etc.

BeautifulRoots

I usually say thank you because it would be pretty rude not to. When someone says, "Your hair is long..." its an observation...so instead of standing there and just noding and smiling at the person in agreeement, it would be nicer to say "thank you." Like some others mentioned, the comment is usually said as a compliment. I don't think it really has anything to do with underlining issues in society about long hair short hair

side note: honestly, I think as long as hair looks healthy its beautiful. Not trying to be cliche or stereotypical at all. I know lots of my friends have the CUTEST short hair cuts that fit their face well and their hair is beautiful. I feel like if the hairstyle fits your face shape, it looks nice.