Who has went from Fine to Thick hair.....

Lavendar

Lav....Are you using the skidakai oil or powder mix?

DivaRox...No wonder you have beautiful skin!

I use the oil just about everyday....I just smooth a little through the hair and over the ends and edges. I use the powder once a month or so. I mix the powder with coconut oil and coconut milk and apply as a DC with heat or I mix it in with my henna.

ACEA

Thank you Tranquility for starting this thread. And a ton of appreciation to ThicknLong for her insight. I have found alot of the information on this site to be invaluable. But this one really caters to me specifically. My hair used to be very long and thick. After a big chop, about 4 bad relaxers, and side effects from medication my hair has thinned out to less that half its original volume. This problem is bothering me now more than ever before and I was thinking about chopping it completely off. I figured maybe growing it back natural would not only help in obtaining length but retaining thickness. This thread has provided me with other options. I will try this out before doing something drastic like a BC. I also checked out JenniferMD's fotki. That's encouraging. I'm really looking foward to starting the New Year off with a totally new regimen. You ladies are so gracious to share your knowledge and experience with all of us. I hope one day, I'll be able to do the same.

MonaLisa

My hair has always been really fine and still is for the most part, but it's changed in thickness significantly since I starting using henna and shikakai oil from HairVeda. I do take biotin and MSM; however, I am sometimes not consistent with these. I think the MSM has helped my allergies, joints, and increased my typing speed more than anything. The biotin seems to peak at about 3-4 months out and taper off quickly. But the henna and shikakai oil have consistently improved my hair's condition, strength, and now thickness. I started almost 2 years ago with one layer of fine thin, bleached hair with barely any temple hair. It still amazes me when people tell me my hair is thick...I have to go run and look in the mirror before I can really confirm that yes...now it is!:grin:

Okay cousin....this was quite encouraging....and I needed to read this :yep:...didn't know that you were once a member of the thin haired crew...

I will step it up over the next six months with the cassia and shikakai oil usage. Do the biotin like the derm said to do....and @ Sareca....will up the castor oil usage. See if all this helps along with the low mani routine.

Lavendar

Okay cousin....this was quite encouraging....and I needed to read this :yep:...didn't know that you were once a member of the thin haired crew...

I will step it up over the next six months with the cassia and shikakai oil usage. Do the biotin like the derm said to do....and @ Sareca....will up the castor oil usage. See if all this helps along with the low mani routine.

Oh yes Mona....I was a VIP member!!!! Thankfully, I've retired my club card.:grin: My hair is still very, very fine though, so I have to be consistent with my regimen and very careful with protecting my edges and ends. I have a new hairline that I never had before and I adamant about keeping it!!!!:yep:

MonaLisa

Oh yes Mona....I was a VIP member!!!! Thankfully, I've retired my club card.:grin: My hair is still very, very fine though, so I have to be consistent with my regimen and very careful with protecting my edges and ends. I have a new hairline that I never had before and I adamant about keeping it!!!!:yep:

Ur so silly...no you didn't say you were a VIP member.... :lol:

Well, thanks for giving a still residing club member hope that things can change... :hug2:

~CurlyNikki~

I guess you can say that I have. It's not the thickest, but its 50% thicker than it was 2 years ago. I take vitamins, do lots of sets, use moisturizing products and henna ALL THE TIME. My routines are posted on my blog.

OP, your hair doesn't look thin to me! You got ridiculous growth in a year...go you!!!!

*Muffin*

You can do different things depending on whether your hair is naturally thin or thin because of styling/grooming. If your hair is naturally thin then there are certain supplements you can take. A lot of ladies that take msm and biotin supplements say that their hair has become thicker because of it. And if your hair is thin due to styling you may want to re-evaluate what grooming tools you use or what styling options you choose. Also nightly scalp massages induce hair growth and over time will help you regain thickness. Making sure your hair is properly moisturized and wearing protective styles also helps.

MangaManiac

IMHO to improve the thickness of the hair growing out of your head you need to treat it like you would a growing plant. Make sure the "ground" (i.e. your scalp) is clean and full of nutrients:

I'd say that massaging and oiling my scalp nightly and shampooing 1x/week has kept it clean. And taking vitamins and drinking a protein shake 1-2x/day helps.

In fact, the past month I've been drinking "Body Fortress: Super Advanced Whey Protein - Vanilla flavored. You get 26g of Protein in ONE serving! :yep: I mostly did this because I've been trying to lose weight, but my hair is SIGNIFICANTLY THICKER. I have almost an 1 inch (~.9) of new growth and even when I straightened it it was noticeable thicker than the rest of my hair. It actually looks kind of funny, but I'm going to be putting it in braids soon anyways! :lachen:

If you go to my blog it also says what else I'm doing, but I would say protein and treating your scalp with care are the two biggest things that gave me thicker growth. HTH!!! :drunk:

lashannasmall

There is a difference between fine hair and thin hair. Fine hair is that way because it grew out of your scalp that way. Thin hair is that way out of damage. You can't condition your way from fine to thick hair.

Newflowers and danip:

Certainly. This is what I've read others have done, and things that has helped me....
  1. Clip bad ends. They will never improve. But, they WILL split up the hair shaft and damage the rest of your hair. Clip them off so you can "save" the other hair above them. BUT only clip off the bad ends. Don't clip anymore than necessary.
  2. Conditioner washes - Placing conditioner from roots (this is important, keep reading) to tips, on DRY hair B4 shampooing, using a plastic cap and going under the dryer. Afterwards, "wash" your hair with the conditioner that's in your hair (this is why conditioner is placed on roots also). Your hair tangles less, is softer, which all means less hair in your comb. :)
  3. Get a detangling, Moisterizing shampoo. Some people even add EVOO (extra virgin olive oil ) to theres.
  4. Get a good protein/reconstructor. This is a balancing act. Protein gives your hair strength from breakage. Use a lighter protein (more frequently) or heavier protein (less frequently). The KEY is to find one that strengthens your hair AND to use it to in the right frequency for YOUR hair. Some people need a heavy protein every 6 weeks. Some only once every 3 mos. Some use a light protein every week. Some use a moderate protein once a month or when needed. Find the product and frequency that works best for your hair.
  5. Find a very moisterizing, moisterizing conditioner. Use it EVERY time you wash your hair. With a plastic cap and go under the dryer. Moisterize with a water based conditioner. Follow with an oil based moisterizer (ie. olive oil ) to seal in the moister. Moister, moister, moister, moister. There is no option to skip this step.
  6. Use a milder relaxer and/or try to stretch relaxers. This is another balancing act. You must be careful to not do it such that breakage occurs. I know I can not DRAMATICALLY " stretch" relaxers without my hair being so underprocessed it will be a tangled, yarn ball all the time. So, to thicken my hair, I use a milder relaxer AND I "strech" an extra 1 or 2 weeks by keeping my hair in a bun during that time. It doesnt get matted because I have it so full of moisterizing cream, its soft as a baby's bottom. I do NOT wash my hair during my extra week or two of "stretching " . Your hair may can withstand it. But, my hair balls up in tanglings when it see's water, so I just keep it in a bun for the extra 1 or 2 weeks of stretching. My hair is soooooooo much thick, lawd ! Now, it's not as straigtht, but who cares ? Find your balance of time, perm strength, stretch time, and stretch routine during that stretch time, because you will need a routine.
  7. Get a good leave in. If your hair is very dry, hard like and "drinks" up moister by being dry after the day you have applied some, try a moisterizing leave in, Like using Cantu creams. If your hair is limp and easy to break, get a protein or water based leave in like Infusium (read ingredients, i don't want to give you bad advice)...there are others i just don't know if they are moist or protein based...Anyway, seal the leave in with an oil of your choice, like olive oil or wonder six oil or jojoba oil.
  8. Low handling or hair. You can wear protective styles to the max like wigs, falls, braids, covered buns, etc...or moderately like an uncovered bun, a high ponytail that prevents ends from rubbing on clothes.. or low, like wearing it down in the back, falling freely. Comb only enough to prevent matting, minimize your combing, and you can do that by wearing styles that do not require alot of it. Only comb when moisterized sufficiently. Comb with care as if it's a baby's bottom. Comb in sections. Comb starting at the END first, SLOWLY work your way up...make sure your hair is not dry and brittle or none of this will matter anyway. HAIR IS MOST VULNERABLE when wet. So, when you wash your hair, follow the same instruction on combing.
  9. MOISTER MOISTER MOISTER ! Don't go overboard or it will get mushy, easy to break and overmoisterized. But, regularly, apply some type of moister to the ends, and apply some type of oil to seal in the moister.
  10. Wear silk scarf to bed. This is so important. If you do not, your hair will break.
  11. Develop a routine. Of when to wash, what products works best on your hair, when to perm, etc. It's not hard. Read this board for people w/ hair probs similiar to yours, ask questions for the rest, try the products you want (keep receipt) if it/those don't work out, return for another product to try (keep receipt) also. :) As you work with your hair, it will " tell " you what it likes and doesn't like.
  12. TAKE CARE OF THE INTERNAL. Pray to Jesus for overall obedience and righteous living (not just for hair results). Meditate. Eat as many vitamin based foods you can put your hands on, b/c these natural nutrients grow your hair. Supplement your diet with man made vitamins. Exercise to stimilate circulation which does the same for hair growth. Yes, :) , it does. Massage your scalp if it doesn't make you have to recomb or tangle up your tresses. Drink loads of water. Eat sufficient protein. Low fat meats and dairy, nuts, beans, tofu, soy milk, protein shakes (don't overdo it, kidney problems if so, just make sure you are incorporating this stuff). Get or have a social life, love life, girlfriend life, internet life (LHCF) whatever you need to incorporate into your life to keep the mind from being idle and keep you happy and glowing. I like a combo of several of those. :)
Wow. I've written alot. Trust me, if you use this and Sista Slick and advice from all the other experts on this site, you WILL have MUCH thicker hair. Trust ! Glad to help girls ! Lotsa love....ThicknLong :kiss:

lashannasmall

Also I think that some people who have fine hair think their hair is getting thicker because it is growing and the layers are starting to overlap, therefore giving the illusion that it is thicker. Also, healthier hair practices make the hair stronger so it doesn't break off and again the hair overlaps and appears thicker.

Some people who think they have fine hair, just have damaged hair. So when it gets healthy, they say it thickened. That is why the vitamins "thicken" the hair but the truth is that probably it wasn't getting the proper vitamins in the first place to grow its best.

But to say that fine healthy hair can become thick through some products....I don't believe that. I think you can make it "look" thicker through products that coat the hair but to say that it changes your scalp follicles and the amount of hair that grows from your head.....I can't believe that one. Someone would have to show me a scientific study on that one....

shunemite

Also I think that some people who have fine hair think their hair is getting thicker because it is growing and the layers are starting to overlap, therefore giving the illusion that it is thicker. Also, healthier hair practices make the hair stronger so it doesn't break off and again the hair overlaps and appears thicker.

Some people who think they have fine hair, just have damaged hair. So when it gets healthy, they say it thickened. That is why the vitamins "thicken" the hair but the truth is that probably it wasn't getting the proper vitamins in the first place to grow its best.

But to say that fine healthy hair can become thick through some products....I don't believe that. I think you can make it "look" thicker through products that coat the hair but to say that it changes your scalp follicles and the amount of hair that grows from your head.....I can't believe that one. Someone would have to show me a scientific study on that one....

Amen to the bolded. I have fine thin hair by genetics. I started reading on styles that flatter thin hair and now that I have my hair almost the same length with no layers and I use black or dark rinses and always wear my ends curled with rollers, my friends and family are commenting on how thick my hair has gotten. But it's not thicker, I just found a style that works for me.

momi

IMHO to improve the thickness of the hair growing out of your head you need to treat it like you would a growing plant. Make sure the "ground" (i.e. your scalp) is clean and full of nutrients:

I'd say that massaging and oiling my scalp nightly and shampooing 1x/week has kept it clean. And taking vitamins and drinking a protein shake 1-2x/day helps.

In fact, the past month I've been drinking "Body Fortress: Super Advanced Whey Protein - Vanilla flavored. You get 26g of Protein in ONE serving! :yep: I mostly did this because I've been trying to lose weight, but my hair is SIGNIFICANTLY THICKER. I have almost an 1 inch (~.9) of new growth and even when I straightened it it was noticeable thicker than the rest of my hair. It actually looks kind of funny, but I'm going to be putting it in braids soon anyways! :lachen:

If you go to my blog it also says what else I'm doing, but I would say protein and treating your scalp with care are the two biggest things that gave me thicker growth. HTH!!! :drunk:

Great tip! I've added protein shakes as well (about 1 week in) for weight loss. Hair growth would be just an added bonus!

yoli184

There is a difference between fine hair and thin hair. Fine hair is that way because it grew out of your scalp that way. Thin hair is that way out of damage. You can't condition your way from fine to thick hair.

Fine hair is really the diameter of the individual strands, not the density/amount of hair. It's genetically predetermined. Thin hair on the other hand refers to the overall density of hair on a person's head. This may also have a genetical component though many people do experience thinning due to damage. Thus a person can have fine hair, but a lot of it (e.g high density!)

koolkittychick

What yoli184 said. You cannot change the fact that your hair is fine (meaning, the diameter of your hair strand is very small); that is genetically predetermined. That does not mean it can't change on it's own (according to your genetic blueprint), but if it does, the usual pattern is that you start off with fine baby hair, grow into slightly thicker strands as a young adult (if you are genetically predetermined to do this), then you go back to finer strands as you age. Nothing you eat or apply to your head will change this, as it is totally determined by the size of your hair follicles (the pores that your hair grows out of on your scalp), which are not affected by any external or internal factors you apply to them.

What you can affect to a certain extent is your hair's density, or the number of hairs you have per square inch on your head. The more hairs you have, the thicker it can look. While this is largely predetermined by genetics and aging as well, you can affect it with improved diet, exercise, and circulation to your scalp in the form of frequent massages. Hormones and stress can also affect density, which is why many women under a lot of stress can start losing hair, and your hair's appearance can be affected by such hormonal events as pregnancy, menopause, and even whether or not you take birth control pills.

In direct answer to the OP's questions, I found the following helped improve my hair's density:

1. Taking a quality vitamin supplement that included support for hair, skin and nails (this is the best supplement I have ever taken and is worth the price; in the 12 months I have been using it, I have gone from SL to MBL and I have reversed the rate at which my hair was going gray, as well as increased the density of my hair to almost the density I had in my twenties).
  2. Exercising at least six days a week. When I am doing this, my growth rate increases from half an inch a month to 3/4 of an inch, due to the increased circulation to my scalp.
  3. Incorporating protein powder/increased protein into my diet. Just adding two protein smoothies a day to my diet provided the extra building blocks I needed to add to my growth rate and density.
  4. Stretching my relaxers to every three months or more. Increasing the time between touch ups helped my scalp and follicles recover more completely from the caustic chemicals of the relaxer, thus allowing more hair to sprout and grow.
  5. Washing my hair and scalp weekly. A clean scalp=clean and unclogged hair follicles=more dense, longer hair.
  6. Taking care of the hair you already have. Having a solid retention regimen reduces the chances of your hair thinning out due to breakage, resulting in denser, longer hair.
Hope this helps, and happy hair growing! :yep: