Naturally Fine AND Thin Hair

hairhere

Hey All,

I am looking for any possible solutions to my 'dilemma'. I have fine and thin hair and the longer it grows the worse it looks. It has gotten thicker over the past year but barely so :rolleyes:. As a result, I rarely wear my hair out :nono:. I rarely use heat so this is not the problem. Do vitamins help? Or should I just give up and figure out fuller looking styles?

Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

TIA

PPGbubbles

My hair is fine and not so thick.....I think you have to love your hair for what it is genetically and not compare it to others.

I love to rock curls to combat the lack of thickness....maybe you should try more textured voluminous styles if you do not like your natural thickness.

Bettina

Don't give up. I have fine AND thin hair ---To add fullnes or give the illusion of thickness I wear a puff or fluffed up twist outs ---(What actually has helped with "thickness" is detangling my hair properly--I figured I was ripped out my hair & causing it to be thinner than usual)sorry I don't really have pics to show but those are the 2 main styles that help me out. :) Hope we get more responses

CenteredGirl

Couple things to consider:

How much conditioner do you use? I have the same hair as you and the minute I started to cut back drastically on conditioner, my hair felt stronger and thicker.

In fact I dilute my shampoo, conditioner, leave-in, protein treatements into spray bottles. I put about 1/4 product and 2/3rds distilled water.

My hair is thacker, stronger, less weighed down and no longer breaks off. I just started at the beginning of the year because I got SO FRUSTERATED with my hair. It was so limp and I could never get it to do anything without losing a bunch of it to breaking off!!!

I am mostly wearing wigs now to give it a rest, but I still take care of it. Try it and see if it works for you. Good luck!

hairhere

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies.

I use a lot of conditioner but not too much as my hair loves moisture and feels silky when im finished a deep conditioning. However I don't use a lot of product as if I do my hair falls and seemingly doesn't need any product for at least two days after.

The irony is I am currently in a weave and I think the ends are two thick and am looking for them to be thinned :look:. I just don't want to get used to thickness when I have an anorexic bun :nono: with my own hair.

hothair

I've got fine hair that's not thick, I now have "normal hair" and some styles it looks thick. I don't relax (my hair seems to have a problem with that) but I do BKT and use direct heat.

Deep conditioners are your BFF and depending on how you wear your hair co-washes. Vitamins help (get a good multi for women/prenatal-easier than popping a bunch of pills) and castor oil seemed to help as well as a few growth aids, infact I was probably the only person on this board Megatek didn't grow hair dramatically for but it did make my hair thicker.

Vintageglam

I love to rock curls to combat the lack of thickness....maybe you should try more textured voluminous styles if you do not like your natural thickness.

ITA with these suggestions :yep: . Nice fluffy curls always give the illusion of volume. Look into roller setting, bantu knots and braid outs.

Couple things to consider:

How much conditioner do you use? I have the same hair as you and the minute I started to cut back drastically on conditioner, my hair felt stronger and thicker.

In fact I dilute my shampoo, conditioner, leave-in, protein treatements into spray bottles. I put about 1/4 product and 2/3rds distilled water.

My hair is thacker, stronger, less weighed down and no longer breaks off. I just started at the beginning of the year because I got SO FRUSTERATED with my hair. It was so limp and I could never get it to do anything without losing a bunch of it to breaking off!!!

TA with the less conditioner and product as products can weigh down fine hair. Less defo is more.... :yep: Also thanks centred girl for the idea to water down products a bit. I might try that and see if it helps me.

Personally I have found that higher end products such as Matrix and Joico are always the right consistency for finer hair as they are not filled with cheap fillers which weigh the hair down so much, probably because they are not created for Afro hair and filled with that majic ingredient - Mineral Oil...

Growing out my relaxer because my natural hair gives the illusion that it's thick.

I agree with this also. One of the reasons I decided to Tramsition. Relaxer just makes my hair look see through. One of the advantages of fine hair I think that us fine haired ladies do not celebrate is the fact that shampooing, DCing and styling are easier than much more resistant hair types.

I've got fine hair that's not thick, I now have "normal hair" and some styles it looks thick. I don't relax (my hair seems to have a problem with that) but I do BKT and use direct heat.

Hothair how is the BKT working out with your hair? Do you still get volume>