Hair Growth - o.k be honest w/me.

Cayenne0622

I must admit that I see a LOT of ladies on this site with very longggg hair and some that have gone from short to long. BUT it seems like everyone who has accomplished these goals have thick hair (or at least it looks that way). :D

Be honest with me. Has anyone with naturally thin/fine hair or thin 4a/4b actually had excellent hair growth results from using healthier hair regimens? Do you have pics? As you can see by my thumbnail, I am just at the beginning of my journey. I wore my hair short for a couple of years and now its about an inch or so longer than what is on my pic. Having somewhat thin hair, I always wonder what my hair would like past my shoulders. Will it look super thin because of the length?

I'm just looking for inspiration here. I need a 4a/b sistah with fine to medium textured hair to be my inspiration. :notworthy:weird:

Attachments

• Feb 2 Pics 121.jpg
    Feb 2 Pics 121.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 125

jaded_faerie

I dont have any answers to your issues..but im sure someone will be here to help in no time. I just wanted to comment how healthy your hair looks...that is a great start! you will reach your goals in no time!

MizaniMami

No comment on the hair inspiration thing. But I just wanted to say that I think your hair is VERY thick/full/lush!! It is so shiny and beautiful. If you set yourself on the right track and keep away from the unhealthy hair practices out there I def. see you at a longer length with thick beautiful hair! Your hair is very pretty!!!

Keep up whatever you are doing and I have no doubt in my mind that you hair will be thick.

Avin'sMom2010

MizaniMami said:
No comment on the hair inspiration thing. But I just wanted to say that I think your hair is VERY thick/full/lush!! It is so shiny and beautiful. If you set yourself on the right track and keep away from the unhealthy hair practices out there I def. see you at a longer length with thick beautiful hair! Your hair is very pretty!!!

DITTO!!! your hair is very pretty & looks healthy...keep doing what your doing. :)

Tee

Your hair is very beautiful. So shiny, and healthy looking. I do not have an answer or can be inspiration because I have always had thick hair. I just had to say your hair is very pretty though!

blackbarbie

Have to add my .02 too!
I don't have a specific answer to your question but your hair already looks thick and healthy to me (and might I add that I love the shine too!)

Seems that if you follow the great tips you'll find here on this site, you will be making progress in no time. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable ladies will chime in on the thickness issue, but I too have very fine hair and while I have never used heat anyway (except for rollersetting), I can tell that my fine textured hair is thickening up since I stretch my relaxers more often now.

StLucianSweetie

ITA, your hair looks gorgeous and thick now. With your current regimen coupled with the tips from this site, you will do great.:bouncy:

MissFallon

Your hair looks really thick and I really like that style. I have fine hair and have grown it out over the last 7 months. My hair is getting thicker but I do have thin ends which I plan on cutting for Christmas. I have pictures in my fotki on my progress (link in siggy). Many people on here (including myself) use unrefined castor oil to thicken their strands. There is a vit for thickening the hair also but I can't recall the name, I know biotin is one of them.

Blu217

How long is long to you?

I have fine 4a/b hair (not sure which, but it sure does kink between relaxers!). I started growing out my hair, pre-LHCF, about 2 years ago. I was around shoulder length then. I am just about at bra strap now; I cut it once during the two years but don't recall much about when or why, but I've been seriously growing it for a year. My hair is neither thick nor coarse. You can see pictures of my hair on my myspace page, linked in my sig. I think there's a close-up of me when my hair was right at shoulder. My hair is longer now than in any of the pics on that page, tho the main page photo was taken a few months ago.

I don't think it's the texture of your hair that determines growth. I believe Supergirl here has grown out long, fine hair just by establishing a healthy routine. I don't have trouble growing my own fine hair, and I don't have an involved hair care routine. I mainly nourish from the inside with Nioxin and B vitamins, I take MSM, I find good shampoos and conditioners, I rollerset but don't use any other heat besides the dome dryer and I avoid styles that stress my hair. I think that's pretty simple, and it works. My stylist has been raving about how much my hair is growing; I have a mid-back goal now... and once I reach it, I'm going for waist!

Stay positive and keep experimenting; your hair can and will grow.

Last edited:
This was a good question, Cayenne. I'm only growing my hair to armpit length. I wasn't sure what my hair would look like past that. I'm hoping my hair will be thick enough to look great at armpit length.

Cayenne0622

Thanks to all of you for responding. You're too sweet! My hair has always grown fast but the front tends to slow down after it gets to a certain length. Its thinner than the rest of my hair and usually frustrates da HELL out of me!:mad:

I'll continue doing the right things for it and see what happens. I haven't worn it down in almost a month now but I also have developed a fear of wearing it down now too. I used to look forward to shampoo'g my hair and then flat ironing so I would be cutie pie!! hehehe Now, I immediately pull it back after it airdrys and slap on the drawstring pony or bun.

One positive thing. The Nexxus Emergencee along with the deep condition and ACV rinse greatly reduced my shedding! I was terrified for a hot minute but now I think it'll be okay. :D

Thanks again. Hopefully a year from now I'll be able to look back and laugh and we'll all be proud of my progress.

PS To the ladies who invited me to check out their pics for inspiration. I will take a look and I really appreciate it.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Hey Lady, don't get discouraged. Your hair will grow just fine if you continue to practice healthy hair routines.

My daughter has very fine hair that is a 3c/4a mix and her hair is doing very well. I transitioned and cut all of her hair off 16 months ago. I relaxed it again in November of 2005. She went from about from 8 inches of hair to about 18 inches of hair(measured from hairline to ends) in that period of time.

She is currently a little past shoulder length. She is about 4-5 inches from bra length.

Here's a pic:

*Happily Me*

MizaniMami said:

Keep up whatever you are doing and I have no doubt in my mind that you hair will be thick.

i was going to say the same thing :)

KiniKakes

Hi Cayenne! I have fine-textured 4a hair and it has grown a lot since joining LHCF. Although its thickened up some, it will always be thin/fine.

MTG has worked for me in terms of thickening the strands.

Anyway, check out my album and hopefully it will help to inspire. Us fine-haired ladies can grow too!!! :)

Btw, your hair looks wonderful! HHG!

Cayenne0622

Awwww...you guys are way too sweet. I didn't even realize there were additional posts in this thread but decided to check today and I'm glad I did. I'm at work now so I can't look at anyone's albums but I will when I get home.To DSD - gurllll, you know it ain't too much that you can say that I won't run out and do because you are so sharing with information and you seem to have a good heart and love for us gals in the struggle. I'll hang in there. I just gotta find the best way to control my shedding until it stops on its on. I don't know what's going on but I'm documenting it so that if it happens again next summer then I'll know that my hair does the shedding thing in summer months.Luv ya girls! Thanks for chiming in and offering a sistah some encouragement!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Cayenne0622 said:
Awwww...you guys are way too sweet. I didn't even realize there were additional posts in this thread but decided to check today and I'm glad I did. I'm at work now so I can't look at anyone's albums but I will when I get home.To DSD - gurllll, you know it ain't too much that you can say that I won't run out and do because you are so sharing with information and you seem to have a good heart and love for us gals in the struggle. I'll hang in there. I just gotta find the best way to control my shedding until it stops on its on. I don't know what's going on but I'm documenting it so that if it happens again next summer then I'll know that my hair does the shedding thing in summer months.Luv ya girls! Thanks for chiming in and offering a sistah some encouragement!
Yes, I do love you guys. :kiss:

The shedding may be a seasonal thing. I know that my hair sheds way more when it gets closer to fall and part of the fall months. I am sure it will slow down really soon. Make sure you look at your diet and any meds you are taking. This could play a part in it too.;)

Cayenne0622

dontspeakdefeat said:
Yes, I do love you guys. :kiss:

The shedding may be a seasonal thing. I know that my hair sheds way more when it gets closer to fall and part of the fall months. I am sure it will slow down really soon. Make sure you look at your diet and any meds you are taking. This could play a part in it too.;)

I just increased my water intake because I usually just don't drink liquids too often throughout the day. I've decided to keep a big water container at my desk so that I will not have to get up and down constantly to get water. I think this will help. I cowashed my hair last night. I lost a lot less hair than I did at the last wash but there was still a significant amount of shedding. I want to do the Nexxus Emergencee treatment again because that caused it to slack up. How often is too often to do a intense protein treatment? Its probably been a week and a half since I did the last one.
Thanks for the tips.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Cayenne0622 said:
I just increased my water intake because I usually just don't drink liquids too often throughout the day. I've decided to keep a big water container at my desk so that I will not have to get up and down constantly to get water. I think this will help. I cowashed my hair last night. I lost a lot less hair than I did at the last wash but there was still a significant amount of shedding. I want to do the Nexxus Emergencee treatment again because that caused it to slack up. How often is too often to do a intense protein treatment? Its probably been a week and a half since I did the last one.
Thanks for the tips.
Don't go on protein overload you may find your hair breaking off too. Try stretching one your strands to test for elasticity before you do another treatment. It may just need moisture.

Barbara

Princess
I have medium hair, and I wish it were thick. The key is just to keep the ends even. If ends grow out too long and uneven, they will look thin. If you wear it in protective styles, they will be more healthy.

I get my hair trimmed once a year or once every year and a half. My stylist is not scissor happy, he never trims more than one inch because he feels that trimming my hair too often will take away the growth.